Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 KIA Sportage
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 01 Sportage had the intermittant start problem. I was in the process of checking grounds, changing relays, new battery, nope not the gas, just not getting spark. Well if finally died and would not start at all. I gave up and towed it to the Kia dealer. He thought maybe it's the computer.....nope not the computer...he has gone over every thing again and checked timing and some stuff I didn't do, and is now trying the crank sensor......they are stumped and confused. Says there is power to the fuel pump but no fuel getting to the rail,,,,also there is no spark even though everything checks out and no codes???????? Service mgr says it's personal now lol lol........Hope they find it soon since the dang car ain't worth more the $1000....but the dealer is awesome...says won't be charging me for any parts it don't need. If you're ever in Killeen Texas check out Dennis Eakin Kia.....

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Have them put a scope on the CAS (Cam angle sensor), if no signal, then no spark and ECM will shut down the FI.

Dont understand replacing Crank sensor before running a scope test...... Philip

·
Registered
2001 KIA Sportage
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will give them that info since I have heard nothing since they were to replace the crank sensor....

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
In addition to above; clogged fuel filter?

·
Registered
2001 KIA Sportage
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I changed the fuel filter just in case....along with cleaning grounds, new battery, new ignition coils and plugs and plug wires, new High Tension wire to coils, new relays,...they have now checked the timing and replaced the belt, and checked that crank is spinning, changed out the ECM, traced out the wiring harness, and were trying a new crank sensor last I heard. Going in today to check if they did the cam angle scope thing. They said the guy who is working on it has 23 yrs working on Kia's and this is the first time he is stumped??? But they are being very nice about it and not really raking me over the coals on it since the thing is only worth about $1500. Like he told me, it's personal now lol lol lol....Hope they figure it out, at least I don't feel so bad now that I could not fix it myself.....

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
You said "Nope not the gas" then you said "Says there is power to the fuel pump but no fuel getting to the rail" ... Contradictions ...

If there is power to the fuel pump (both 12v AND ground) the pump should run.... If it's running then you have a bad pump (impeller not turning),blocked fuel filter, or blocked fuel line... IF the fuel pump is not running and there is NO voltage being fed to the pump...then I'd be looking at no signal from the crank/cam sensors...

I agree with aquanaut20 about the crank sensor...They should check for a signal from it... If it's missing THEN replace the sensor...

With conflicting information it's hard to get a grip on what is going on...

Your mechanic could only be working on KIAs for 23 years "if" he was living in Korea... They were first sold in Oregon in 1994 (19 years).

With what you have currently supplied I wouldn't be surprised that the crank sensor is at fault...but there are other "things" that can cause "no spark".

I "see" there has been NO mention on any stored codes...That's the FIRST place I would have checked as a KIA mechanic. That would give at least a general area to look...
Dave

·
Registered
2001 KIA Sportage
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry for confusion but yes when he turns key there is power to fuel pump but he says no fuel to the injectors or the injectors are not working???? not sure at this point. But when I replaced the fuel filter the line was under pressure. I did spray starting fluid into the intake to try and start and it didn't, so definitely no spark. And no there are no stored codes, that's why they originally thought it was the ECM as was explained to me if you don't get a check engine light or codes it is usually the ECM. Took them the info about the Cam angle sensor and mechanic says the crank sensor did not do the trick. Don't know about the 23 years that is just what he told me??????? Maybe he meant he's worked these little tin cans for that long, I don't know...... If what Philip says is true it sounds promising that the CAS would shut down the ECM and therefore no spark and the fuel injection won't work. Don't understand how it could be so hard to trace out an electrical problem if you know the route it takes...sorry I don't know the wiring on these motors....

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Same old, same old.....

Doesn't make any difference if it is a horse or a donkey, the internals and workings are the same....

Same goes for engines/cars.....

I will try to post a scope of a working CAS, as soon as I scan it....

If the battery has been disconnected, that would explain the NO CODES...

...... Philip

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
The ECM compares the timing of the cam and crank sensors...If either (or neither) are not present the ECM will not allow spark (coils) to be fired.

Problem is... that todays cars run with help from computers and that always adds to the confusion. Cars are not as easy to diagnose for people that are not "up" on computer controls and are used to older mechanical engines.
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Using a lab scope can clear up many Q's about input/output values that cannot be checked without/or with a low range DVOM....

Again it comes down to proper diagnostics.. or, just chuck parts..... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
This scan was completed with a single channel pocket scope (size of cell phone) and 2 T-pins to back probe the sensor connector....

Not brain surgery!...either you see a trace in real time or the sensor/wiring is N/S.... Philip

·
Registered
2001 KIA Sportage
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok folks the verdict is in.......The Kia lives!!!! ..... It ended up being in the wiring connector to the crank sensor.....He says the insulation was cracked and when they opened it up the wiring was all corroded together in the connector. Thanks to everyone and their suggestions and help. Now for another 190K miles....lol lol lol

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Great news....

That would have been abundantly clear on first scan, no need to replace sensor..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Thanks steelpony55 for the info...I'm sure others will find it useful...
Lots of 1995~2001 Sportages out there with intermittent "no start" problems...
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts