Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my post where I had to have my SX engine replaced a month or so ago with less than 2,000 miles on it. It was about as hassle free as such a thing could be. Immediate rental car, no arguing about repairs, and considering the holidays a pretty quick turnaround.
Today I got home and had an unexpected surprise in the mail - a $50 gift card from Kia for my trouble. Said something to the effect of its not how they like ownership experience to begin.
Pretty cool in my book!

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is good news.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts
Glad you posted this! Kia does plenty of good things, they just don't get posted!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kia is sometimes a black-box; I don't know why they do many things reported in the forums.

You didn't break your Sportage, but it broke. Kia ameliorated the inconvienience with a rental car, and replaced the broken parts with an engine, free. Apologising for the defect, they offer a free maintenace service (or 50$ accessory). That's the marque of a luxury manufacturer, one missing in my recent experience of three "luxury" brands.

Didn't cost Kia much (50$, and an engine costing less than a couple lawyers' time), and it makes them look fastidious and generous. It's a good story, thanks for posting the update.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kia is sometimes a black-box; I don't know why they do many things reported in the forums.

You didn't break your Sportage, but it broke. Kia ameliorated the inconvienience with a rental car, and replaced the broken parts with an engine, free. Apologising for the defect, they offer a free maintenace service (or 50$ accessory). That's the marque of a luxury manufacturer, one missing in my recent experience of three "luxury" brands.

Didn't cost Kia much (50$, and an engine costing less than a couple lawyers' time), and it makes them look fastidious and generous. It's a good story, thanks for posting the update.
Yes, the first part (timely repair of a factory issue with minimal inconvenience) is what I expect, though from horror stories about most manufacturers I always dread what may happen. In this case I feel a lot better about going with my choice of Kia even though I ran into an early issue. This is my 29th car so I've had quite the range of dealership experiences.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
i think some of the troubles with warranty work and bad parts that some people have mentioned on this website are more about the dealership and the service department than Kia itself. I don't know if Kia picks favorites or they can only handle so many things. Maybe they encourage some dealerships to reduce warranty work? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. More likely, the local service guy doesn't want the hassle or he just doesn't understand or care.

Would any kia employees like to chime in?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dealerships are certainly variable. It should be easy to weed out the bad ones, but I've seen the phrase "Kia Corporate" mentioned in a few reviews too. The testimonials themselves are results from a black-box; I don't know people on the forum personally.

Where luxury brands did this well a decade ago, I don't think Kia did. I hate to see how other brands cheapened, but I'm glad Kia is stepping up. Stories like that improve sales over a couple years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts