Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Sorento is nearing the 1-yr mark, I've received a notification that my "complimentary 1-yr subscription" to Kia Connect (formerly Kia UVO- surprised they didn't go with KiaKonnect LOL) is going to expire soon, and I have no intention of paying for it. I haven't used any of the features to my knowledge, but I'm wondering if the navigation functionality, which I do use, is going to go bye-bye. Yes, I know I can use my iPhone with CarPlay, but it seems like one of the best features of the touchscreen is navigation.

I have attached a screen shot of the "features" of Kia Connect (UVO). I don't have any use for any of them.

So, has anyone had their "complimentary subscription" expire and noted any changes in functionality?
Font Rectangle Circle Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line SX Prestige AWD
31 Posts
Really enjoying the service on this end, using a few of the options daily. I'm on the fence about subscribing to the service after the trial period is up.

All those little options are great, but $200 a year great, I don't know.......??

Please keep us posted (y)

·
Registered
2022 Sorento PHEV SX Prestige
49 Posts
Really enjoying the service on this end, using a few of the options daily. I'm on the fence about subscribing to the service after the trial period is up.

All those little options are great, but $200 a year great, I don't know.......??

Please keep us posted (y)
If these services are provided via SiriusXM or an affiliate, I imagine the price is negotiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,179 Posts
Mine just expired and I got a simple email with the ridiculously priced options to continue the service. I'm ignoring the letter and I can live without it. Truthfully, the unlocked messages are annoying to me, I don't forget to lock my car when appropriate, but I don't lock it in my closed garage, so I keep getting messages every time a door is opened on the car.

What I'll miss is the occasional use of the remote start feature and when I park in a large venue, and the find my car is useful. However, I can live without remote start, and there are plenty of free options for the find my car feature.

By By UVO.

·
Registered
2022 X-Line SX Prestige AWD
3 Posts
My insurance company (USAA) provides a discount if the insured vehicle has the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" feature, or similar, and it is enabled.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
93 Posts
You will not lose Nav as that is built into the car. Your maps will become outdated, but you have to pay for a map update outside of Kia Connect. Sirius is a separate feature as well with a separate cost. Basically for whatever ridiculous price they want to charge you get thru the app:
  • remote lock/unlock
  • remote start w/ability to set climate
  • location of the car
  • recall notifications
  • fuel level/DTE
  • odometer
  • ability to take a picture if you have 360 cameras (no actual value to this gimmick feature)
  • ability to honk your horn/turn on the lights
  • schedule remote starts
  • set curfews/geofencing/speeding w/alerts
  • stolen vehicle recovery (not sure what that all entails)
All car manufacturers aside from Ford give you these same remote app features free for a year and then hope you will pay anywhere from $10-30 per month to keep access. Ford has decided that these features are all so trivial that they give it to you free for life, and allow you to schedule service through the app which is where they hope to make their money (local dealer sees revenue from service and Ford makes money from parts sales). I don't see enough value here to pay more than $30 per year, and hopefully enough of us are in that same boat that one day Kia will make it free for life like Ford did. But with the way the world is going to have an ongoing subscription for everything I suspect the cost will stay.

I think Kia is really missing the boat here in not having a way to schedule service through the app. You can request an appointment, but that is not the same as just being able to schedule one.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,179 Posts
You will not lose Nav as that is built into the car. Your maps will become outdated, but you have to pay for a map update outside of Kia Connect.
You don't lose the ability to download the free map updates.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
93 Posts
I wouldn't call map updates free when Connect is a pricey yearly subscription
Touché. But I still haven’t seen where Kia Connect comes with map updates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts