Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sorrento LX AWD V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, new to the forum, and of course I have questions! Did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for so hopefully someone can chime in (I can also probably call KIA but not until tomorrow)!

I purchased a KIA Certified 2012 Sorento at a KIA dealership in Denver, and it was dark by the time the sale was completed. I had not intended to buy a used KIA but it matched what I was looking for and I saved some money. I did look over the vehicle, but you miss a lot under lights as opposed to daylight. So the next day I notice a bubble in the chrome on the grill (size of 2 quarters), the windshield is badly sand blasted and has 2 small stars and there is damage to the roof racks and the antenna was missing. The roof rack damage is serious as a shard of metal is sticking out on the inside of both rails.

I went back to the dealership and the response was "here's your antenna, and too bad - its a used car, nothing that is wrong is covered under warranty so tough".

I am hanging my hopes on the fact that the 150 point inspection, which was so highly touted, is what I can use to prove that they did not do what they were supposed to do prior to selling it. I found Honda's list and it clearly details exterior items that have to be replaced if not up to standard.

If anyone has any experience with something similar, or can point me to the actual list, I would be very grateful.

My other question is that upon start up the V6 sounds like it has no oil in the top end for about 1 -2 seconds, is this normal?

At least I have full factory and additional "everything" warrantys!

This is my second Sorento, and first V6, which is much more fun to drive than the i4.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help.

Artie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screwy,

That is exactly what I was after, thanks very much.

I don't see the grille on there specifically, but the windshield is so that's a start.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
As far as your windshield check with your auto insurance, lots of places will replace it for free or a small fee if its bad enough. Your best bet is probably trying to work something out with the dealer.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Also, grill can be purchased for under $100 on ebay. Many ppl change it to aftermarket and sell OEM there. Just FYI, if it really bothers you :)

Congrats with your purchase!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Hello to all, new to the forum, and of course I have questions! Did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for so hopefully someone can chime in (I can also probably call KIA but not until tomorrow)!

I purchased a KIA Certified 2012 Sorento at a KIA dealership in Denver, and it was dark by the time the sale was completed. I had not intended to buy a used KIA but it matched what I was looking for and I saved some money. I did look over the vehicle, but you miss a lot under lights as opposed to daylight. So the next day I notice a bubble in the chrome on the grill (size of 2 quarters), the windshield is badly sand blasted and has 2 small stars and there is damage to the roof racks and the antenna was missing. The roof rack damage is serious as a shard of metal is sticking out on the inside of both rails.

I went back to the dealership and the response was "here's your antenna, and too bad - its a used car, nothing that is wrong is covered under warranty so tough".

I am hanging my hopes on the fact that the 150 point inspection, which was so highly touted, is what I can use to prove that they did not do what they were supposed to do prior to selling it. I found Honda's list and it clearly details exterior items that have to be replaced if not up to standard.

If anyone has any experience with something similar, or can point me to the actual list, I would be very grateful.

My other question is that upon start up the V6 sounds like it has no oil in the top end for about 1 -2 seconds, is this normal?

At least I have full factory and additional "everything" warrantys!

This is my second Sorento, and first V6, which is much more fun to drive than the i4.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help.

Artie.
If you feel that you are right, I would suggest that the Better Business Bureau in Denver can assist. A windshield is a safety item and if it's bad enough to fail a sticker inspection, you can report that back to the dealer. If anything fails during a sticker inspection, the seller has to fix it. As far as the cosmetic issues, it's not a safety item and it's pretty much on you. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
If you feel that you are right, I would suggest that the Better Business Bureau in Denver can assist. A windshield is a safety item and if it's bad enough to fail a sticker inspection, you can report that back to the dealer. If anything fails during a sticker inspection, the seller has to fix it. As far as the cosmetic issues, it's not a safety item and it's pretty much on you. Lesson learned.
I would talk to the dealerships general mgr and they might take care of it for you it never hurts to ask and point out your other concerns and who did you talk to at the dealership?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Looks like #109 may cover your racks and grill problems...
#136 should cover the windshield also...
There IS visable damage and the car should not qualify for a KIA 150 point inspection which was a "condition" of your purchase agreement.
DON'T take possesion if you haven't as of yet... AND GET pictures of the damaged areas and have them notorized NOW.
Dave

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Print out the pdf. Ask the dealer for a copy of their filled out report that should be dated and signed, if you did not get one. You may want to go with someone else when you do this such as a friend.

...after documenting, taking pictures and notorizing, as suggested.

All of this only makes sense if the dollar amount adds up to what you consider a large enough number.

Remind the dealer that you'll be servicing your vehicle there in the future...or maybe you won't.

People who have had a bad experience are much more likely to tell others than those who've had a good experience in these situations, as you've shown.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not get a copy of the 150 point inspection, that's a phone call for Monday. I'll be somewhat surprised if I get it.
I'm going to spend some time tomorrow going through the list to see how much of the inspection was actually done. Pretty easy to see if diff plugs and the like have recently been taken out (if in fact the KIA has them).
I did call the customer service rep who promised to call me today, and as yet has not, so I guess I'm not going to get a call.

The roof racks are most definitely a safety issue, if I didn't tell you about the metal shards and had you run your hand down the rails, you'd be going to the emergency room for stitches, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

I know that it is a used vehicle, but the marketing for Certified vehicles clearly states that it is to be "expected" that the vehicle is in as close to new conditions as possible. My vehicle is not, probably because the dealership did not do what they were supposed too, so we will see.

The grille issue is on the chrome surround, if that is a separate part? Probably even less expense to fix.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
I'll agree with that as it should have been caught before taking possession. However some of these cannot be the buyer's fault and for those, at least, the dealer should step up and take responsibility.

For the rest, time is important. For the dealer to claim you did it, it does not make sense if you take it back the next day and there are few miles added since taking ownership. That's why documenting this as soon as possible is important. However, the burden is on you now. This has happened before to me and you learn.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just wanted to give those of you who were gracious enough to post comments a follow up. As of tomorrow I am filing a claim with the state department that handles car dealer complaints. The dealership has been absolutely worse than useless, I have been lied too, misdirected and now just plain ignored. Ironically I have found further information out about my vehicle that had the dealership been reasonable I would never had known. The basis of the claim is now that the dealership certified a vehicle that did not meet (pass) the inspection criteria. Worse yet is that as certain as I can be this vehicle spent a considerable time, if not the entire 22,000 miles off road, or on non paved roads - just what you want to buy in a year old vehicle right? So, just like most problems, if you ignore them they get worse, so for them, its about to get a lot worse. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts