Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Cerato
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wanna ask a few questions. Hope u guys can help me out. I own a KIA Cerato 2004. Those who own the same car as me.... how is your fuel consumption? Any defects found? Any problems with servicing? Servicing is done every 1000km rite? So far for me....all is well...hope you Cerato is in good condition as well!

Nazhan

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there

You sound very impressed with your car. I had a test drive (around the block) last year, and liked it. I want to know: any regrets thus far? Was this car your first choice? I have a Toyota Conquest at the moment, is in need of another car, but can't make up my mind. Over here in SA Kia is only starting to take off, and there's still a lot of negative comments about it. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Cerato
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello!

Thanks for your reply. Actually the Hyundai Matrix was my first choice. My main criteria for a car was it has to be either a mini MPV or a sedan with enough leg room for my family of 5. Budget was another factor because in Singapore, cars cost double the price as they do in SA and many countries. So we wanted a cheaper Korean car rather than a Japanese car.

Matrix was ok in terms of leg room, but it has a very high fuel consumption. The boot of the car is small and i didnt like the design of the car.

Cerato has a better fuel consumption than Hyundai but Toyota is well known for being an economical car. Cerato has more features, surprisingly more leg room and a big boot. The design is more slick of like a saloon car. Personally, i just fell in love with the car. Handling is similar to Toyota. In fact the base of the car is actually from Toyota.

Kia is picking up in Singapore and they are certainly picking up in terms of style, performance and cost.

For your info, KIA is under Cycle & Carriage, the father of Mercedes, Mitsubitshi and now KIA.

Hope all this helps!

Naz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, Naz! To tell you the truth, my heart is with the Kia, but all the negative comments are just worrying me. Your input is therefor much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Nazhan.
I'm going to buy a Spectra 2.0 LX, another name of Cerato in North America, and like to share your experience on your Cerato.
The model seems quite controvertial, and there are many negative comments on the model as it flunked AHSA frontal collision test though it has won the Best Economy Car 2005 organized by AJAC in Canada. The styling and interior are Kia's selling poits, or even better than some of the class, but a few questions do worry me.
1. Engine. Is the 1.6L engine noisy especially above 3500 RMP, or supressed hard? Do you think the engine is as powerful as the Japanese cars?
2. Transmission. Bet yous is an automatic. Does it handle smoothly, and
suck lots of engine compared with the manual?
3. Tires. The original Hankook tires are said to be no good preformance-wise as it causes much noise and little grip especially when cornering or on wet road. Is it true or not? Do you have any commnets on changing the tires like Yokohama or Michelin, which are much better performed in these area?
4. Reliability and durability. Perhaps you own your Cerato for one year. Any other problems so far? Is Cycle & Carriage rensponsive and helpful in service and rendering help?

I understand only 2.0L Cerato is not available in Singapore, and Cycle & Carriage is the local agent, which has a good reputation after sales service. Besides that car prices are 3-4 times higher than that in America as you have COE, Import duty, ARF and so on and so forth.
Thanks for contributing your experience on your Cerato.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Cerato
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Frankx,

Here's the answers im able to answer to yr questions to the best of my experience and knowledge.

The frame of these Korean cars are more fragile than intercontinental cars or Japanese cars. Thats why they are cheaper i guess. But then again, most cars now have ABS and SRS airbags. So does Kia....so there are plus and minus points.

1. The engine of the 1.6L cerato is a little noisy, bt not to the point of irritation. If you love to hear your engine when you are driving then its fine. I dunno if it would be similar to the 2.0LX they have in the States. The engine is actually from Japan....DOHC. The technology used on previous Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas. Of course now there is the VVTI technology.

2. Actually my transmission is manual. I prefer manual as its cheaper, you can control your car better. Personal preference. All auto transmission sucks more fuel than manual.

3. The Hankook tyres are a minus point. But if tyres are a concern to you then just trade them immediately when you have your car. You get a good price when you trade your tyres early. A good affordable choice would be the DB ASPEC or ASPEC Yokohama. It's less noisy and has good grip and smooth ride on the road.

4. Cycle & Carriages service is okay to me. In Singapore, they are the sole distributors for Mercedes, Mitsubitshis and Kias. Have not really 'tested' their services. Just the occasional servicing and maintainance. So far....so good.

The cars in Singapore is indeed expensive.....how i wish im living in the States!!!!! I hope i have help you in any way....do reply and let me know how is it going ya?

Thank you! :57:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nazhan,

Thanks a lot for your valuable info. Gona get my Spectra LX in 2 weeks, and will share my experience.

Hope you'll have chance to immgrate to the States as the U.S. has preferential immigration policies on countries like Singapore.

Frankx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts