Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
i bought a kia cerato last week with 10k km, the car is in rlyy good conditio its practically new.. one thing is that the engine makes this weird clicking noise, anyone have any idea wat causes this?
this is a video i took today, the noise is very clear

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds serious, more than just lifter noise. Does it get worse at road speed?

Car/Engine looks very dusty. Suspiciously around the oil-filler cap. Any dirt got into engine? Have a look at the oil level and colour of oil. Needs to be looked at by a mechanic/dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Up till 2009 the Cerato/Spectra had it's fuel injectors at the back of the engine and the noise from them was masked by the engine. The 2010 Forte/Cerato has the injectors towards the front on the "new" 2.0L.. That sounds like what you may be hearing. The engine looks like it's pretty dirty. Have you checked or changed the oil and filters? Even with only 10k (6k miles) if the oil has not been changed you could be really low on oil also... I'd be asking WHY the car has such low mileage...Something does not add up... Selling a car with that low mileage. If the car was abused and driven with low/no oil the noise might be from bearing damage and before it was sold by the original they replaced the oil and filter BEFORE you bought it... The was a recent post about a RIO owner that was also a low mileage car (under 20k miles)...the owner took the car for oil changes to a garage and the garage never changed the oil or filter. They just billed the owner for the services and then closed their doors leaving no record of the changes...KIA refused to honor their 10yr/100k mile warranty because of lack of lubrication.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I think I can hear injector noise underneath the general "chaff-cutter" racket of the engine. It isn't a deep pounding noise like main bearings, more likely worn camshaft bearings and/or valve gear well out of adjustment. Maybe the engine has been "thrashed". Hard usage may have burned off some oil, maybe a quart or more, and this wouldn't help. Our Cerato used 1 pint of oil in the first 10,000 km of sensible driving, none since. Never sounded like the problem car above, apart from very occasional valve lifter clack at start-up and barely noticeable injector noise.

After looking at the oil, a compression test may be informative

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys
thanks for the reply..
first of all, weve got no certified Kia mechanic at my town so Im trying to at least get some background on the problem before having some mechanic looking at it.
some friend told me to use a long scrowdriver as a stethoscope to point where the noise is coming from, and I did...
have a look at this picture, now i dont knw much about engines but im pretty sure that the nise is coimg from that shiny bar in the pic and the four things connected to the wires where i draw the blue arrows. the noise is louder from the shiny bar though. im guessing these are the injectors?
if that was the problem, how serious is it and wat causes it?
also, the car does about 300km on one tank, is that normal? my old Elantra before that did >450km and i think the tank volume is pretty much the same..
waiting for ur reply guys...

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, Injectors. Not usually so loud, though. Our Cerato only made minor start-up valve noise once or twice when it was new and you have to concentrate to hear the injectors over general engine sounds. The engine is generally quiet, as engines go, but does sound a bit "industrial" over 5000 RPM. I wouldn't suggest stressing the engine until you have it checked.

Things might improve with some sort of injector cleaner, but it really needs to be seen (and listened to) by an experienced mechanic. I think the valve lifters are mechanical, not hydraulic, if that helps.

Engine looks a bit different to ours. It's not a diesel is it? That would explain the noise.

Tank is 52 litres, 46 litres before warning light illuminates. Around 9 km/litre around town, making 400+ km range. Nearly 700 km country.

·
Registered
Cerato 2010
2 Posts
hey guys
thanks for the reply..
first of all, weve got no certified Kia mechanic at my town so Im trying to at least get some background on the problem before having some mechanic looking at it.
some friend told me to use a long scrowdriver as a stethoscope to point where the noise is coming from, and I did...
have a look at this picture, now i dont knw much about engines but im pretty sure that the nise is coimg from that shiny bar in the pic and the four things connected to the wires where i draw the blue arrows. the noise is louder from the shiny bar though. im guessing these are the injectors?
if that was the problem, how serious is it and wat causes it?
also, the car does about 300km on one tank, is that normal? my old Elantra before that did >450km and i think the tank volume is pretty much the same..
waiting for ur reply guys...
Hi Ceratodur,
How did you end up with your noisy motor? I bought my 2010 Kia Cerato in about 2012 with 40k. It have always had a similar ticking noise to yours on start up but maybe not as loud. Though in the last 6 months (80k)when car is cold and under acceleration it makes a similar but louder noise than yours. Noticeable from driving position with windows closed. Almost sounds like CV joints that are worn out when turning. My mechanic was able to replicate the noise, putting engine under load by accelerating in Drive with foot on brake. Sound is definitely coming from motor. Suggesting to me it's not worth spending any money on it, saying it would be a major job to pull the engine apart. The noise only happens when the engine is cold. I now warm up the car until the temperature gauge shows a reading before driving off to eliminate the noise.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Hi Cerato2010...
You are posting to a dead thread that is over 5 yeas old....
You might want to remove the valve cover and take a look at the insides where the cams, lifters, and valves are...
I had a 1974 Plymouth Duster that I on;y ran a specific motor oil in it... It was noisy and upon removing the valve cover I found a massive build up of thick sludge from this brand of oil...There was barely any room for parts to move and very little circulation of oil... I have since used Valvoline brand oil and the insides of my engines have minor build ups...

The Duster was very noisy until the car got hot and some of the sludge melted allowing some oil to lubricate parts...

Also you might want to check out this video on a 1.6L I4 hyundai/KIA engine...It had a bad CVVT part causing the noise... Look to the right side of the engine and just left of the timing chain...See a black cylindrical device on the outside of the engine? That is the CVVT solenoid..

Even though the car only has only 48k miles on the engine the lack of changing the oil and filters can cause the CVVT to plug up..

The Spectra/Ceratos here in the USA have a 2.0L and I believe in AU you have a 1.6L petrol ...
Just some ideas
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato 2010
2 Posts
Thanks DavesSpectra

I'm new to participating in forums. I thought I would automatically receive reply to email, not realising I had to subscribe to thread hence my delay in thanking you.

I will ask my mechanic friend to act on your advice for me.

·
Registered
LD Cerato EX, 2006 (Hatchback) (Spectra5 in US)
28 Posts
Hi Cerato2010...
You are posting to a dead thread that is over 5 yeas old....
You might want to remove the valve cover and take a look at the insides where the cams, lifters, and valves are...
I had a 1974 Plymouth Duster that I on;y ran a specific motor oil in it... It was noisy and upon removing the valve cover I found a massive build up of thick sludge from this brand of oil...There was barely any room for parts to move and very little circulation of oil... I have since used Valvoline brand oil and the insides of my engines have minor build ups...

The Duster was very noisy until the car got hot and some of the sludge melted allowing some oil to lubricate parts...

Also you might want to check out this video on a 1.6L I4 hyundai/KIA engine...It had a bad CVVT part causing the noise... Look to the right side of the engine and just left of the timing chain...See a black cylindrical device on the outside of the engine? That is the CVVT solenoid..
Hyundai Accent 1.6 CVVT, Noisy Lifters, Open Head - YouTube

Even though the car only has only 48k miles on the engine the lack of changing the oil and filters can cause the CVVT to plug up..

The Spectra/Ceratos here in the USA have a 2.0L and I believe in AU you have a 1.6L petrol ...
Just some ideas
Dave
our (Australian market) Rios are 1.4/1.6 the as for Cerato/Spectraof this vintage I've only see 2ltr models.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts