Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I own a 3 month old Kia Ceed, 128 bhp. Straight when I bought the car, I noticed that there was no improved brake performance between the Kia Proceed 2009 I owned before. This is my problem.

When hitting the brake slowly, the braking is fine.

As soon as I hit the brake fast (ex. In case of emergency, or when stuck in traffic and realise I need to brake quickly) I feel that the ABS kicks in, and once the ABS kicks in there is no grip whatsoever, and the braking distance triples, and the result is the same even if I hit the pedal as down as possible.

Unfortunately, this almost caused several crashes and I am pretty sure something is wrong. It is simply ridiculous that a car like that has poor braking performance as a standard. However I am no expert and would like to have an idea of the possible causes from some experts here on the forum, before discussing this with my local dealer.

Please help me before disaster strikes! :(

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
If the ABS kicks in, the car thinks that the surface is slippery. Are you on Maltese roads?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Adriano, Thanks for your reply. Yes I drive my Cee'd on Maltese roads, and indeed the roads here are far from perfect. But me previous proceed also had ABS and never had any problems, so my obvious thought would be that there is something wrong with the car... Any help to what it can be?

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Possibly different (worse) tires.

BTW, if you often need to brake hard, you probably don't have optimal driving habits :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nikola, tyres used are Hankook Optimus prime 2, original tyres of the car.

As for my driving habits, I would have written the following:

Three options:
1. Either you have bad driving habits, or:
2. You are surrounded with incapable drivers in Malta, or:
3. If you need to brake hard, than you probably drive too fast.

In this case I would have replied:

Indeed points 2 and 3 apply in my case.

Since your reply was not as the one I mentioned above, my reply is:

Come to Malta, spend at least 1 day on Maltese roads - that would satisfy point 2

Come to Malta and spend an extra day or two on Maltese roads, and in need to attend a meeting at an agreed time - That would satisfy point 3

:p

·
Registered
739 Posts
Replace your brakepads with some good ones (I've been using EBC Greenstuff for more than 60K, and I won't use anything else).
Don't slam your foot on the brakes... ABS is there to make the car "Idiot proof", if you brake properly you won't let the ABS kick in.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
ABS is there to make the car "Idiot proof", if you brake properly you won't let the ABS kick in.
Obviously in the normal course of driving the idea is to brake smoothly. Regularly getting taken by surprise is the sure sign of a poor driver and the common factor between slow idiots and fast idiots is that they that cannot work within the conditions and make proper allowance for others.

When things are genuinely difficult the idea is to slam on hard and if you don't let ABS work you are not braking hard enough.

The most critical point is during the initial stages where distance covered is greatest and the maximum benefit is gained from getting the brakes full on in the shortest possible time. Trying to feel for the "ideal braking point" (or whatever people want to call it) just wastes ground. Let the car do the physics and free your brain to think about the exit strategy.

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 1.6 Crdi Challenge
159 Posts
Replace your brakepads with some good ones (I've been using EBC Greenstuff for more than 60K, and I won't use anything else).
Don't slam your foot on the brakes... ABS is there to make the car "Idiot proof", if you brake properly you won't let the ABS kick in.
I recently buy EBC greenstuff pad and ebc OEM disc, car is braking better then ever... I am sry that they not have ebs sport disc (at stock) at the time because i ve would buy one for sure, now i stick with ebc OEM and GSpads...

·
Registered
7 Posts
DONT-- change the brake pads (as advised here) it could invalidate the warranty
Take to kia dealer & they will sort it out under warranty IF there is a problem.
But i doubt there is a problem as ABS is working & light goes out on start up

Pete

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, replacing the brake pads voids the warranty... of the original brake pads!
if you replace your tires, will it void the warranty of the paint, or the engine? Guess not...

I also thought the ABS lets the car roll a bit to much, but I thats because of the weight of the car and the poor tires and brakes pads it has stock.
Replacing the brake pads and geting decent tires (Eagle F1 Assym) completly changed the car.

I am sry that they not have ebs sport disc (at stock) at the time because i ve would buy one for sure, now i stick with ebc OEM and GSpads...
Do you mean these? :)

Yes.. this is a Ceed (mine)! :)
The rotors are for the Hyundai Tiburon V6, wich is exaclly the same size and offset as the Ceed.

Ace Demon,
Idiot proof, because on older cars 95% of the drivers would slam on the brakes and just go skiding down the road with their wheels locked.
I don't think there is any country in Europe that prepares a "regular" driver for the road, I think that every driving school should do what the "defensive" and "emergency" driving courses do.

For a while I know that Renault offered that to customers that bought a new car (at least in Portugal).

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Ace Demon,
Idiot proof, because on older cars 95% of the drivers would slam on the brakes and just go skiding down the road with their wheels locked.
If 95% of people do something it can't be idiotic. It is almost certainly cheaper to have ABS than to pay for a training course to try to learn to not have it. Most people would not be able to learn in 10 hours and even if they could, most people have better things to do with the time.

I don't think there is any country in Europe that prepares a "regular" driver for the road, I think that every driving school should do what the "defensive" and "emergency" driving courses do.
What driving instuction should do is to get people to recognise the use and feel of ABS, so they don't get scared/surprised if it cuts in. There are stories of people activating it and in imagining it is a defect relax the pedal. In Britain, the training for the "emergency" stop is not about stopping in the shortest possible distance.

For a while I know that Renault offered that to customers that bought a new car (at least in Portugal).
It is necessary to wonder why ABS was banned in motor racing because I can't imagine teams introduced it to make lap times longer. Perhaps there is a parallel with power steering, which until about 30 years ago would have been an insult to a "real man's" masculinity. Then they put it in racing cars. Phew, dignity restored.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
When hitting the brake slowly, the braking is fine.

As soon as I hit the brake fast (e.g. In case of emergency, or when stuck in traffic and realise I need to brake quickly) I feel that the ABS kicks in, and once the ABS kicks in there is no grip whatsoever, and the braking distance triples, and the result is the same even if I hit the pedal as down as possible.
There seems to be a confusion between brake application speed and pressure on the brake pedal. In normal driving, I would certainly not describe my brake pedal technique as "hitting it" or pressing it "slowly"; rather, it would be "firm, even pressure" which decelerates the car uniformly. Maybe this a language issue.

In almost 50 years of driving, I've only activated the ABS twice, and there were a handful of "rapid stops" in non-ABS cars over the years. I can't imagine what is happening if you are experiencing apparent ABS braking so regularly. Also, if the ABS is activating, it should decrease your braking distance, not increase it. See what the dealer says.

Some cars that I've driven have a special brake boost which detects a speedy application of the brake pedal and increases to boost assistance, but this is different to ABS.

I would definitely recommend that drivers try some "emergency braking" under controlled conditions to see how ABS feels and sounds. On one occasion mentioned above, ABS definitely saved me from a potentially serious accident; I am certain that I would have been unable to avoid a collision without it.

·
Registered
Pro_Cee'd 1.6 Dynamic (2013)
154 Posts
Just crashed my brand new ProCeed (2013) into a bus which was waiting at the traffic light and was directly in front of me due to the identical braking issue you described .. I just put a new thread on the forum describing what happened. Main thing is that I was going to stop at the red light .. decelerating from about 40km/h when ABS kicked in (after passing over tramway railings which are some 1.4m wide) and after that car just continued to roll onto the bus with me trying to press the brakes as hard as I could. It felt like the pedal has stopped at the middle ad that it wouldn't go all the way .. like it was "blocked" .. car was slowing down but it didn't want to stop and I crashed ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts