Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kia grand carnival sli model.

I get lot of wind noise from both the front driver and passenger windows. This is very annoying and prominent if i drive any more than 70km/h.

Has anyone else had this? and how did you go about fixing it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ch4rm, I have a Grand Carnival S model and i have also noticed a problem with wind noise at thye drivers window.
I have tried differnt vent settings and had the rear windows opened but the wind noise is still there.
The doors seals seem to be fitting properly, so I am guessing that there is some air passing through the door frame and either out through the door seal or into the door itself.
I will be having a close look tommorroe to see if there are any holes in the door frame and I will place some tape over any suspect areas to see it that stops the noise.
I will post the outcome of my efforts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had a close look at the door and door frame to see where there may be a passage for air. the only place where air is entering the doo frame is from the right and left mudgaurd panels.
The is about a 6mm gap that will allow quite a bit of air to enter. This air would normally flow between the door seal and the door frame seal. The mirror assembly provides and additional seal at this point and normally the air would flow to the bottom or the door area and exit.
I believe that when traveling at higher speeds, the amount of air entering is gater than the amount that can flow to the botton of the door and exit and this puts more pressure on the door seals until the pressure forces a small opening on the door seal above the mirror. This small outlet formed is probably causing the wind noise that can be heard.
The only solution would be to try and reduce the amount of air entering via the gap with either a piece of tape or some silicone. I would not try and block the gap completely, maybe only about 1/3rd.
I have enclosed a picture of the area I believe may be the cause of the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wind noise in Kia Grand Carnival

Hi to everyone concerned with this annoying wind noise problem. We purchased a 2013 SLI Diesel model Grand Carnival back in May, and yes discovered the same problem that everyone else seems to be suffering. Toowoomba Kia immediately said they knew of the problem and mentioned it also seems to be an issue with their Mitsubishi Challenger? Anyway the issue seems to be the design of the mirrors, mind you the new ones don't look any different. The noise has been reduced but still remains to some degree. If you said the noise previously was a 10, it is now about a 4. They covered the replacement of the mirrors under the warranty and it took about 2 hours including its first service. SO, still trying to figure out how to completely remove this wretched noise issue and will let everyone know if I figure it out. Hope this has helped :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts