Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put our car in for a service yesterday (owned it 10 months).

Went to pick it up and they say, we didn't do the service because you have oil in the coolant (radiator). What does this mean, we're not mechanics by any sense of the word.

I phoned KIA Australia and was given some story about no 'recalls' ever having been done on the 2001 Carnival but there was engine problems noted, I asked what sort of problem and he said the following

The cylinder linings are uneven and causes oil to go into the radiator,

Is this a roundabout way of saying the Head Gasket???? (please remember I have no clue about car engines.

We're waiting on KIA Head Office to say whether they will repair the car themselves as it is a pre-existing (or known) problem.

Has anybody else ever heard of this with the Carnival?

Squitzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Squitzy,
See the reply I sent to Newbie re: known problem with seal rupture between cylinder lining and engine block.
This is not a gasket. The short motor (engine block, sump, camshaft, pistons) has to be replaced.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, further to my Kia Carnival oil in the coolant problem.

Kia is replacing the engine under warranty. They still won't actually say the words head gasket though (that is what your article refers to). So I'm still in the dark as to what is wrong with it. Apparently they are replacing the engine which is currently short/long (not sure which) with the opposite.

We were also recommended to have the timing belts replaced at the same time as this would work out cheaper now than having to do it in 12 months time (the car has just clicked over 85,000 kms so would be due shortly anyhow (according to them).

But somebody told me that the new engine that they are giving us should come with timing belts, is this true? If so, should I be paying for them if it comes with the engine anyway?

It's very hard when you don't know much about engines (well nothing actually), you just have to trust them and hope they're telling you the truth, but to be honest I've worked in a car service centre previouslyand I don't hold much hope.

The vehicle is supposed to be ready this afternoon but I just know that'd not going to happen, oh by the way, they would not give us a loan vehicle. Just basically said, tough, not our problem. I might print off that article and give it to them and see whether they still think it's tough.

Thanks for the link though,

Shelly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Squitzy,

I had the same problem, put the car in for its 60k service when they discovered it. As others have indicated, it is a known problem with the cylinder linings failing and letting oil into the coolant. The standard action (according to the dealer) is to replace the motor with a reconditioned short motor (block,pistons etc, no head). However, with ours they gave us a brand new short motor (same as the current model) and machined the head to suit. We were minus a carnival for about 3-4 weeks during this, the longest wait was for Kia Australia to approve the repair. Since then I have had to take the car back as the bottom pulley developed a wobble and had to be replaced.

Although I was dissapointed in the engineering and time taken, I only had to pay for the radiator hoses as they are not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Squitzy,

One thing I forgot to mention was to get your wheel alignment checked after the repair is done. Ours was way off (toe out) and scrubbed out the front tyres (particularly drivers) down to the belts. I didnt know until I went to rotate them.......thanks Kia !!

If anyone is buying tyres soon, I recommend the Yokohama A539 they go for around 150-160 ea but are a great tyre, excellent wet weather and cornering performance......and no I dont sell tyres for a living !!

·
Registered
2007 Grand Carnival EX, 2012 Rio Si 5 Door Hatch
21 Posts
Thanks for the tip about getting the wheel alignment checked. Kia has finally sent the paper work approving the engine replacement and it appears that we should get the car back in about 2 weeks. The local dealer I am dealing with has provided us with a replacement Carnival while the work is being done. I have had the replacement for about 2 weeks already.

I noticed that you are also in Canberra can you tell me which dealer did your engine replacement? My car is currently with National Capital in Belconnen.

The comment about the timing belt needing replacement may be correct as I was advised that the belts are not provided under the repair and may need replacing depending on their condition. My Carnival has done 58,500km.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ours got done with NCM Tuggeranong. Have you replaced your front brake pads yet? Ours need to be done and Im looking at alternatives other than the genuine part. My main consideration is stopping the vehicle with minimal rotor wear, this rules out anything Bendix related. I have asked a few places, ACT brakes reccomend lucas pads with the caveat that they are a little dusty, to supply and fit the quote was around $300, NCM quoted us around $350. I have found a website that sells QFM pads (Queensland Friction Materials) for $55 / set !! add in an hours labour and thats around $150 - $200 all up. My initial investigations into QFM have come up positive, most of the performance car sites have good things to say about them, I just have to confirm the price with QFM. Will keep you abreast if you like.

·
Registered
2007 Grand Carnival EX, 2012 Rio Si 5 Door Hatch
21 Posts
Have not had to replace the front pads yet as I have only owned the car about six months. I would, however, be interested to get your feed back on the pads that you fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll add my name to the list of those needing a new short motor, except in my case it'll be the second one :(

I had the short motor replaced about 18mths ago when the vehicle had done 86,000kms.
Its now at 180,000kms and the same symptoms are present again. More oil in the coolant than coolant. I've been quoted $6500 to get the job done.
The sad part is that I use the car as a part-time taxi and just last week I took it off the road with plans to sell it and get a newer vehicle. I put the car into Kia to get a window regulator fixed ($545) and now I'm going to be up for another $6500 before I can sell it.

I can't afford to pay for a new motor and I can't afford to sell it for next to nothing as I still owe money on it. So, without a vehicle to work in I'm also without about 70% of my income. I've asked the dealer to push the matter with Kia Australia but he doubts that they are going to want to have anything to do with it.

Its looking like I'm going to have little option but to leave it sitting in the driveway while I go and look for a second job. Otherwise, sell it for whatever I can get for it and still go and look for a second job to finish paying for it.

I guess there is always suicide :crying:

Mred32

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mred32- Now thats a shitty situation if ever I've hear of one. Out of interest (lots actually), was your replacement motor a recoditioned jobby or a new one??.

It sounds kinda shitty but Id get a coolant change done and take it straight to the nearest Kia Dealer (not the one you're currently dealing with !!) and offload that puppy. Make it the dealers problem, it should then have a three month warranty if they do resell it.

Owen-I have found out that ACT brakes will fit QFM pads for $99. I spoke with them, they use it as their base pad, the guy said they are good pads and wont eat out the rotor, nor do they create heaps of dust. The only exception is that he has never fitted them to a carnival, so he doesnt know how they would pull up with a full tank, kids and luggage.

I will be going there in the next few weeks, will keep all interested posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
re OIL & COOLANT MIXING PROBLEM. My son-in -law has now has this problem. Dealer was helpful but has not yet offered replacement vehicle. Dealer says he will replace engine - could be up to 3 weeks as he is 4th in line at this dealership to have engine replaced due this cause. I have just found on the web an article in the Sydney Morning Herald of Monday 31 Jan 2005.

www.drive.com.au/editorial/PrintArticle.aspx?id=9154

Article quotes Kia Australia spokesman as saying that the company replaces affected engines free of charge and supplies customers with a Carnival while repairs are carried out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
re OIL & COOLANT MIXING PROBLEM: :) good news. Armed with info from this forum-topic and citing Sydney Morning Herald article quoting Kia spokesman, son in law persuaded the dealer to check re company policy and they discovered that indeed it was co policy to provide a temporary replacement people mover while the engine was being replaced - the dealer said they were previously unaware of this policy. For others with the same problem, a little assertive prompting helps. Yesterday they received the temporary replacement Kia Carnival.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need an alignment after the engine is replaced, but I guess a bad mechanic could cause it, though he would really have to try.

As for the timing belt, you may have to pay for the part, but don't let them charge you for labor. The belt has to be removed when the engine is rebuilt so labor to install it is included in Kia's insufficient labor time. They can not charge you for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought our 2001 Carnival new (was about $22K cheaper than Toyota is why) and have had really good service from Blackburn Kia with it.
Yes, we had the motor replaced under warranty (they actually told my wife it was a lousy head gasket, but wouldn't say that officially.
Yes, we have had to replace the tyres (twice now) on the front. Our mechanic tells us that the car is very heavy in the front.
And, yes, we have had to replace the front disk pads (twice on the right front in 3000 Kms). He said Kia only advised him to bring it to them for 'fixing'.
Reading about the problems others are having, I think the solution of taking it straight to the dealer for a trade-in is sounding great! The only question to ask about that is: "Do you want another KIA?"
I'm still undecided about this myself, as the next serious service for us has a book value of over $1,200.00!
Robert (a.k.a. texasone)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts