Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had My Carens for 2 years and always thought the build quality was cheap & cheerful.

I now have a problem that I don't seem to have seen posted anywhere else.

The door handle mechanism has broken on both sides of the car - driver and passenger within 2 months of each other.

I had the car into a UK service garage and they ordered the part in for the passenger side but it still hasn't come through after 2 months.

I can only get into the car through the back doors, lean across to the internal handles (a long way forward) and open the doors from there.

If the back doors go the same way I can see myself climbing inn through the boot.

Anyone else got this problem?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Carens
42 Posts
You are right, not much have been said for this subject.. :)

How about moving the rear door mechanism to the front door ... :57:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm from Singapore and had the same experience but only on the driver's side. You may try asking the dealership there if they have Spectra door handles as its the same for our Carens. Whatever colour they have just take it. Remove the chrome portion of the assembly and replace your broken one with it. Should fit well as the Carens door handles are exactly the same as those on the Spectra. Looks like the KIA saved on design cost putting together the Carens. Our doors are definitely more heavier than those on the spectras but ... Hope this helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes we have the same problem on our kia, the door handle has broken so far and i am sure the passenger will go soon because we are using that all the time.

do you know if its use din the mot?????
i am trying lots of breakers on the internet now so can you let me know if you ever got any new ones.
thanks
xxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i got the new ones under warranty, the garage i was using underwent a takeover thats why the long delay, they said.

The second one that went was shipped within a couple of weeks and painted to match.

No probs so far with the new ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me too - in 2.5 yr of use in Singapore ; my 2 front door handle malfunction. The dealer , CnC replace free ; but - bloody **** - need to pay S$ 110.00 for d labour. **** the Koreans , lousy quality. Only can look c look c , no reliability.

Expect rear handle to break in 3.5 yrs = just timely wear n tear.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There is a weak link in the handle mech, but you can do something about, I've repaired some when they've broken whilst waiting for parts.

Remove the door panel, remove the exterior handle.
Drill down through broken parts pivot into handle, and screw a nice self tapper in.
always works a treat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Bro. just broke the left hand side the other day. Went to Keng Yi at Verrasamy Road and got one silver colour from Gary. Cost me $25. Did the change myself to swap the broken chrome handle over since my car is red. Job less than 30 minutes. $110 at C&C, that daylight robbery.
I believe it's the batch of handles that is of poor material quality. Is yours 2003 model? Cos I also know of a few others 2003 models having same problem. I swore never to go back to C&C after my 2nd free servicing when they charged me many $$$ for changing my rear brake pads eventhough its only done less than 3,000km. Even after I told them not to change them over the phone.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Oh and someone mentioned the MOT here in the UK. Your car will fail if any door cannot be opened from either the inside or outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am from the US. We are just getting the KIA Carens here (It's called Rondo here, I think it's a silly name). I was thinking of buying one but not so sure anymore reading all these horror stories about things breaking. I am surprised you UK guys aren't more aggressive with KIA and their dealers to get them fix things and fix them right. For example, the guy who had his door handles broken and having to opened the door from the back, I would be camping at the dealer until they either fix it or give me a replacement if I were you. It's just unacceptable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Door handle problems

All

I have extactly the same problem. Damn Kia cars are s**t.

I'm the second owner of an 03 reg 2003 Carens CRDi auto.

I loved it at first, now I dreading what will go wrong next.

I had an MOT failure on it first MOT at 28,000 miles. £400

Brakes needed replacement. £100.

Then a replacement of 2 deisel injectors, Evans Halswhaw replaced the fuel pump twice because Kia told them too. Although they didn't charge me for it. Neither Kia or Evans Halshaw knew what was wrong with my car. You'd think it was some sort of alien space ship the way they where scaring their heads over what was wrong with it.

Keys then had to be recoded. That and the keys £1,200

Then less than 1,000 miles later another injector replaced.

Failed another MOT this time under an MOT warranty so costs not my problem though warranty cost £540

Keys then had to be recoded. Another £80.

The f***ing car has only done 45,000 miles and already its falling apart.

The webbing straps that I need to pull to release the rear seats have now broken on both sides. I fixed one but it looks awful and took ages to fix so the other side will have to wait til I have a spare weekend!!! Lets hope I don't have to lower the rear seats.

I'd be interested if anyone has a good fix for the rear seat strap problem.

Anyone know of a desiel auto for about £6,000. Auto because I only really get to drive around town these days and can't be bothered with a manual anymore.

I think I need to get rid of this Carens asap. Anyone interested let me know

It has Thule roof bars if that helps.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX - 7 Pass., 4 Cyl. and a 1995 BMW 318ti
132 Posts
jliu34740 said:
I am from the US. We are just getting the KIA Carens here (It's called Rondo here, I think it's a silly name). I was thinking of buying one but not so sure anymore reading all these horror stories about things breaking.
You have to remember that message boards for a specific car bring people that want to vent about the problems they have, and you will find this with any make/model of car. If you search for camry engine failure, you will find tons of message boards pointing out the faults of the engine even though it is a good engine overall.

My point is, by reading a single thread like this it might imply that everyone is having the same problems with their car, but in reality it is a small group of people. It is an indicator that there is probably a weak link in the door handle and some other items, but that isn't necessarily a reason to avoid a car.

·
Registered
kia sportage crdi 138bhp 6 speed 2006
13 Posts
This happened to our 2003 Carens yesterday. I think the problem is caused by repeated pulling on the handle when the door is locked as it pulls against the lock, especially by our impatient children. When the door is unlocked tha handle doesn't hit the stop. Thanks to Murphwiz I took your advice, removing it was really hard as the child lock was on so it couldn't be opened from the inside either!! I had to get the door lining off from inside the car to release the door! Anyway I removed the handle and drilled 2 long 3mm holes right down through the snapped parts and put long self tapping screws through. Works fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Murphwiz said:
There is a weak link in the handle mech, but you can do something about, I've repaired some when they've broken whilst waiting for parts.

Remove the door panel, remove the exterior handle.
Drill down through broken parts pivot into handle, and screw a nice self tapper in.
always works a treat.
I have removed all the screws but I am still unable to remove the door panel does anyone know how to remove the panel without damaging the trim
Mick
Birmingham UK

·
Registered
kia sportage crdi 138bhp 6 speed 2006
13 Posts
There were very few screws from memory, the bottom edge, a couple behind caps on the inside door handle and one on the lock bezel, also behind a cap. Then sort of lift off upwards, maybe a bit stuck to the glue line put on for the plastic sheets inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Carens 2005 (4 Doors ... 3 Doors Handle Damaged..)

I am experienced the same problem with my disposable KIA CARENS
Tree of the four doors handle mechanism are damaged, the front
mechanism can be repared temporary using crazy glue but in 2-3 weeks
it brokes again...

In Venezuela there is no spare parts if you know where i can buy the door
handle please let me know i will appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX-V6 Lux (7-seater)
197 Posts
There were two suggestions earlier in the thread on the first page for how to repair - (a) use Spectra handles if you can get them, (b) put in a self-tapping screw.

Sorry to hear about your problems; hope they do not appear on North American market Rondos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Door handles

Well my drivers side door handle has just broke as well. Looking back at the history of the car, the car has had 4 drivers side door handles in its life, is this a record. Replacement part cost £42 from the dealer, I rate this as expensive considering that the Kia door handles don't last long. In the end, followed the post that tells you to drill the broken handle and put a stainless steel screw in it, has worked fine ever since, did not sell the car or buy a VW, but i really do think Kia should make these handles out of something stronger than plastic.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
You don't need to buy a new one, as many have said, just remove, screw, glue & repair, job done!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts