Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought that the Borrego was a tank, a sort of sturdy unbreakable beast, a true and legitimate 4x4 off road vehicle, far away from the SUVs of nowadays built for soccer mom's...
Just came across with this KIA site where the Borrego is depicted as a utility vehicle for the military. The only difference is the Diesel engine (I wish I had that option back then), otherwise is exactly the same vehicle!! now it all makes sense :laugh:!!

Kia Motors Corporation?s military vehicle website

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only difference is the Diesel engine . . . otherwise is exactly the same vehicle!!
At 6,480 pounds perhaps somethings are a little different other than the Diesel engine from our 4,400 pound vehicles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 6,480 pounds perhaps somethings are a little different other than the Diesel engine from our 4,400 pound vehicles.
More steel for sure, not only the exterior panels but some components like the radiator must be military grade and made of steel perhaps. Mechanically seems to be a similar vehicle (my EX V8 has way more HP and torque :D), cosmetically speaking is 100% the same. The suspension in our standard Borrego is so stiff, even prepared to securely tow 7,500 pounds (I've heard reliable stories of people towing 10,000), that I don't think they need to make any major mods there either to accommodate the extra weight...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry upon further review, I've found that our Borregos are listed as 4,400 pounds for CURB weight....The 6,480 pounds that you are referring to for this military version is the Gross Weight.
So considering the weight of passengers, fluids, cargo, etc, it looks like the difference in final weight should not be that significant either!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
anicora
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing