Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Kia Borrego. Because of the recent snow fall I attempted to use the 4 HI option instead of the Auto when driving. It does not feel as if the car is switching to 4 HI. The green light comes on in the dash but I don't hear any noise from under the car to show that the transfer case is switching over. If I place it in 4 LO then you can clearly hear it switch over, but not in 4 HI. Its my understanding that the 4 HI is Full Time AWD where the tires all spin together. But 4 HI seems to operate the same way as as in Auto. I stuck my head out the window and hit the gas, the rear tires spun but the front only kicked in after a few seconds, is that normal? Should't all tires be spinning when going from Auto to 4 HI and from Auto to 4 LO. My Kia service department here is terrible so I'm taking it in to another place. Transmission is new and replaced under Kia warranty and has only 8 thousand miles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Should't all tires be spinning when going from Auto to 4 HI and from Auto to 4 LO.
Not necessarily-first, on a 4WD vehicle with open differentials, only one tire per axle (one in the front and one in the rear) is going to spin at any given time if there is an imbalance in traction. Second, if traction/stability control (The "ESC" button) is on that will limit wheelspin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts