Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know you can order this masterpiece from the festiva store? Probably not :)

spacers as well, for $5 each.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So take 3 with this hot garbage. With the spacer selection tool this is where I am at now. Definitely have a hair of play I’m thinking a 14 might be it.

941B0BF7-35F5-4C62-ABC3-FC179051C7A7.jpeg
33D87086-9005-4510-8E05-5D8D5F32DCF7.jpeg
71576556-205E-4551-AF8E-58F55CD25B71.jpeg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
13 was the magic number this time ... it’s reassembled and back on the car

·
Registered
2004 Rio (base) - 155K miles
21 Posts
How's the bearing job holding out? How many miles have you put on it so far? Base ----

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one side is good one is not so not many miles. after awhile the bad side just seems to loosen up, i pull it apart and use a smaller spacer then bench it all nice and tight by the book... after about 10-15 miles on the car i get the tiny little wiggle when it's jacked up everything else is brand new and tight so the only POF is the damn bearings. my knuckles are in very rough shape though - they should be replaced but i am cheap. the tool makes it unreasonably easy compared to the sarangan method you mentioned in the other thread - that was the method i was using (custom spacer thingie). the tool in this thread is a perfect replacement for the expensive and rare kia tool. you still have to do the measurement though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You even have the tool and are still having issues! Is there no hope?! I pulled the knuckle off and cleaned everything up yesterday. I'm "performing" the procedure today. Now I'm wondering if it's all worth it.

It's too bad since I'm giving the car to my girlfriend's son who needs a car for work. I figured it was cheaper. Might catch hell if the bearing goes out right after. No good deed……..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said, my knuckles are rough. the previous owner rode for a few thousand miles with no spacers in them. i know i'll get it right eventually. i just bought the biggest spacer and started shaving it slightly to fit with sand paper and a caliper tool lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, you're up to #21 spacer? I was just going to ask what # you ended up with. I tried my #12 and I can't even get 80ft-lb and it's locked up. I'll be ordering a few from Festiva. BTW - might you sell any of your higher #s?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh! no i bought a #21 and started from there lol. i shaved it to each of the corresponding lower values and measured it using a caliper tool. im currently at an 11 or 13.

80 is halfway there. maybe try my method (shave the one you have)? or get the next two sizes down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need to go up from #12. It's too tight. Might just do what you're doing. How are you getting it sanded evenly? What grit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
rpw00mirage - I have a #12, #11 and #1 if you can or want to try them, they're yours.
Base ---

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've read that each spacer step will change the preload by 1.7 - 3.5 inch lbs. is this a valid estimate?
Thanks,
Base ---

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
Just a quick question.. You refer to checking in Ft/Lbs. and now your latest post refers to In/Lbs change. A BIG difference between the 2 scales for setting that preload or any tightening process.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I might have mixed them up in a post. Sorry.
The hub nut should be about 150 ft-lbs while the pre-load test to roll the bearings at that force would be about 2-10inch-lbs. Each spacer should change the bearing roll force by 1.7-3.5inch-lbs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been using 400 grit sandpaper. it doesn't take much time. have to test the thickness in a few spots along the way.

ft-lbs for the hub nut, inch-lbs for the rolling resistance. im not sure about the accuracy of the statement... if you are locking the hub up with the one you have, 1.7-3.5 inch-lbs isnt gonna help yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I figured it will take a much higher # spacer to allow the bearings to roll freely (2-10inch-lb) when the nut is cranked to 150ft-lb. I ordered a #21 and will try working my way down. How's yours coming, by the way?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haven't done much in the past few weeks. was getting the veloster ready for race season but most of that is cancelled now. working on the house while we are "work from home" . lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Totally understood rpw00mirage. My working from home is essentially "babysitting my email."
Received my new spacers today (#15, 18 & 21). I thought I'd try these #s and play the odds that for the extra $12 i spent on two of them, I'll have to grind down a max of one size to get the rolling friction to the golden tolerance between 2&10.
Now waiting for Wednesday to do the testing. Be safe, stay well - Peace!
Base ---

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looking forward to your results!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, it was a bust. I worked on the bench with the knuckle and bearings. took my time and got to a #17 spacer with a 4inch-lb pull. Started grinding as soon as i headed down the road!! I'm thinking I may have cranked the bearings down too hard on some of the smaller spacers. Just not sure at this point. I'm still mulling over whether or not to just let the car go. What a buzz killer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts