Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's interesting to note that the first thing new KIA owners want to do is remove the KIA Badges from their cars! Me Included :)

You sure don't find that many VW Golf or Ford Fiesta owners trying to de-badge their cars. There is a HUGE market for KIA replacement badges. I wonder if KIA is in tune to this phenomena; if so they can't be too happy about it. Maybe that is why they put tabs under their current badges so the replacements can't be used without minor surgery...

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,565 Posts
The reason they are hard to take off is, they don't want them to come off.......make sense?

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I was going to put different badges on the front and rear, but I'm just too cheap to spend the money. What I did was tint them a bit with VHT Nightshades spray. In bright sunlight you can read 'KIA', but it's hard to read if it's cloudy. I've also removed the wheel covers so I just have the black steel wheels and chrome lugnuts because I'm too cheap to buy black aftermarket wheels. The only thing I've paid for is professionally installed window tint. I like the blacked-out look of the glass, badges, and wheels on my white Rio5.

I'm probably going to paint the wheel covers satin black and put them back on.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Debadgers ashamed of owning a Kia? Kia stigmata??? 0ne of the biggest trend now according to the Kia forums is to debadge as soon as possible your new Kia. Also could it be that, as I stated some times in my posts, that Kia still suffers from a bad reputation, name? What one would have done with my Neon? Debadge it right away!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
I debadged my car not because I am ashamed of owning a Kia, but because I like a clean look without the badges there. I also do not like the look of the Kia logo, which is why I am putting on my K3 emblems. I am very proud of my little rio, and I tell everyone that asks me that it is a great car

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I debadged my Nissan and rebadged my Kia. I will probably do the same for the next car I have. I'm not doing it out of shame. I'm doing it because I like to be different. I don't pretend to know the motives of other rebadgers.

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts
I just didn't like how plain the KIA emblems looked, wanted something that was a little different...:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
There is no way I would spend in excess of $20,000 on a car I would be ashamed to drive or own.....that would just be insane :eek:
I have debadged all my cars because thats what I like to do :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you don't want to drive a car with a Kia badge don't drive a Kia, simple as that IMHO.

I am quite happy to drive a Kia, that's why I bought one.

One muppet in our village had a Vauxhall (Izusu) Frontera, replaced all the Vauxhall badges with Honda ones, why the fek didn't he buy a Honda.

I paid for the badges when I bought the car, certainly not buying some different ones so that I can look like a chav (or worse).

Do you think people are so stupid that they don't know what Kia's look like.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I don't have the slightest urge to remove the Kia badge. Those who want to do it purely for the reason that it says "Kia" are obviously too concerned with what others think of them. Most people who look our car over don't even know what it is anyway WITH the Kia badges. I've had two people approach me when I've been washing or photographing it also, saying how great it looks.

Why be ashamed? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
I joined this forum to share my wonderful Kia Rio experiences with other owners. I did not realise people would be so judgemental at the removal of car badges.
Even my Kia service centre loved my badges

How disappointing :(

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I joined this forum to share my wonderful Kia Rio experiences with other owners. I did not realise people would be so judgemental at the removal of car badges.

if you want to remove them for a clean look or whatever great, i was saying for people who want to remove them purely because they're embarrassed it says "Kia".

people are free to do what they like with their own cars though, their money so no one has a right to tell them how to use it. It's just an opinion.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
if you want to remove them for a clean look or whatever great, i was saying for people who want to remove them purely because they're embarrassed it says "Kia".

people are free to do what they like with their own cars though, their money so no one has a right to tell them how to use it. It's just an opinion.
Your words werent harsh OzSLS, but others opinions can be quite strong. I dont really understand why anyone would spend that much money on something they are ashamed of. I have debadged a Ford and a Toyota for a clean look. For me it is definately not shame. I LOVE my RIO

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am happy to drive a car with a Kia badge and certainly will not be wasting money trying to convince the neighbours I have something else, would not work anyway, most have Kia's.

Some total twonk in our village must have spent ages putting a BMW grille and lights onto a Suzuki Super Carry. Why, its a small dangerous van, surely his time would have been better spent earning more money to buy a Kia.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is it?

I just like people not knowing what I'm driving :)

It prompts a lot of questions and comments at the gas station and other stops. The Rio5 is one sharp looking car and looks nothing like the boring (and I mean boring) Rio's of the past. I love it when people say "Cool Car, What is it?"!

The whole "de-badging" thing is strictly ones personal opinion. I was only commenting on the fact that the market for KIA replacement badges is quite substantial compared to other brands.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
154 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous to accuse those who rebadge or de-badge of "being ashamed", Puhleeez! Projecting a little envy are we?

Customizing your ride is fun and not only distinguishes you from the rest, but also adds more 'color' in what would otherwise be 'another K-I-A' on the road.

I personally love the broken K emblems on my forte and received tons of compliments. From a design perspective, I didn't like the car's branding on the steering staring at me all day in traffic with "This car is brought to you by the letters - K I A..."

As for the OP, he's absolutely right! Logos are very important in branding and marketing. Kia should wake up and smell the hamster's bedding already!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Removing the badge because being embarrassed of driving a Kia? Why would people then by the car to begin with. From what I hear most of the people including folks replacing the badges are happy with the Rio.
I would think that changing the badges would rather increase the curiosity among other people.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I would be tempted to rebadge my Rio, but I don't like the K Badge or other available alternatives. I am a proud Kia owner. That being said, I did immediately remove all dealership badges and license plate frame.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts