Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should you have the oil changed in the KIA Amanti. I hear everything from 7500 miles to 3000 miles. Help!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depends on who you talk too. Kia says 7500 right in the owners manual. If the dealer is paying for your oil changes for the 1st 30k miles they will say 7500 miles. Now if you pay them for the oil changes they of course will want you in every 3000.

There is allot of junk on the net about oil and when to change it. figure it this way if you stick to kia's oil change schedule and use a dealer you cannot possibly go wrong, especially if you plan to trade the car in before you go beyond 100k miles. All you really need is proof that the oil was changed at a reasonable interal though, so any quick lube will do or you can do it yourself and keep the filter flap info and receipt where you bought the filter and oil.

Kia is paying for the oil changes on my wifes Sedona for the 1st 30k so naturally they don't want it into the dealer more then every 7500 miles unless I want to pay for a change between stops. Now I have changed the oil in the Sedona twice now in between the dealer stops. When I checked the oil it definately needed to be changed by about 5000 miles.

I know this is probably a longer answer then you really need so for the short answer: your safe with every 3000 but 7500 according to Kia is ok too. If you want to get all high tech you could pay for an oil analysis, but why not spend that money on the oil change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by RDNK4RE@Feb 24 2005, 12:20 PM
Depends on who you talk too. Kia says 7500 right in the owners manual. If the dealer is paying for your oil changes for the 1st 30k miles they will say 7500 miles. Now if you pay them for the oil changes they of course will want you in every 3000.

There is allot of junk on the net about oil and when to change it. figure it this way if you stick to kia's oil change schedule and use a dealer you cannot possibly go wrong, especially if you plan to trade the car in before you go beyond 100k miles. All you really need is proof that the oil was changed at a reasonable interal though, so any quick lube will do or you can do it yourself and keep the filter flap info and receipt where you bought the filter and oil.

Kia is paying for the oil changes on my wifes Sedona for the 1st 30k so naturally they don't want it into the dealer more then every 7500 miles unless I want to pay for a change between stops. Now I have changed the oil in the Sedona twice now in between the dealer stops. When I checked the oil it definately needed to be changed by about 5000 miles.

I know this is probably a longer answer then you really need so for the short answer: your safe with every 3000 but 7500 according to Kia is ok too. If you want to get all high tech you could pay for an oil analysis, but why not spend that money on the oil change.

Thanks for your reply. I opt for 7500 miles maximum.

Gatnus

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by gatnus@Feb 24 2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your reply. I opt for 7500 miles maximum.

Gatnus
Here's what I understand via a friend in the auto car business.........cars usually list two maintenance schedules for two types of driving, 1. for so called "normal" ( manual should explain what normal is and many cars would not fall into this category given the criteria listed ( see manual) and 2. so called "severe" which is the most common type of driving ( city stop and go, hot or cold climate which covers most geographical parts of these United States) therefore it Has been known for a car manufacturer to deny a claim because ..say the person lives in LA and drives that congested, stop, stop, stop, go, go go, etc. ,etc, very hot most of the year and that the SEVERE driving by a person necessitated an oil change under the severe ( every 3000K) and if not , you might be out of luck. My dealer says 3000-4000 is best protection for all.......anyway 3 months/3000miles is what I plan to do....you do want you feel is best for you.......regards.....rayray <_<

·
Registered
5 Posts
:57: yes in the owners manual it does say 7500 miles but it really depneds on where u live.. if you live on high attitude then it is better to change it sooner then 7500 but if you live in somewhere were it is hot then u should change it sooner then 7500. I work for a kia dealer in Ct and i have to say that these cars are so much different then they used to be... I am very impressed with these machines. :eek:fftopic: Have u seen the Sportage yet, that car is great. we have a couple of them here

·
Registered
279 Posts
Uh oh, Sales Rep huh. Now you stepped in it!!! :grin: You may get boom barded with questions.

All the new engine and oil refinements are great. Honda uses 0w-20, thats seriously light weight which means very tight tolerances, off topic a bit.

There's allot of opinions and junk on the net along with people doing all kinds of testing of oil and filters to what end I have no idea. Is a $40 oil sample test worth it even if the oil for the car is $40 or $45. That's why I say change the oil when your happen within the owners manual guidelines at whatever Q-lube you like.

Now as for me I could probably go 10K between oil changes. I warm up my engine, run at 50-60 mph for 50 miles park it and do the same thing in the other direction. Couple stop signs and stop lights here and there but that's about it for stop and go. I've run over 2k miles since the last change in Jan and the oil is just starting to color my dip stick a little.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts