Kia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I went to the web site. My car qualifies. :)
Mine doesn't. It is a 2013 purchased in May 2013. I don't get why it wouldn't qualify. How is it that only some of them qualify. The same epa figures were used for ALL the vehicles. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
Mine doesn't. It is a 2013 purchased in May 2013. I don't get why it wouldn't qualify. How is it that only some of them qualify. The same epa figures were used for ALL the vehicles. What am I missing here?
simple, he's in the US, your in Canada, you have to go to the right website and the Canadian information will not be available to November 6th (Tuesday)

try this: https://kiafuelconsumption.ca/

see my post on #25

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Thanks conwelpic. Guess I'll wait til the 6th. I find it interesting that some have received an email from Kia already. I know I won't get much but at least it's something. My last 2 tanks have been in the 10 l/100km range. I was expecting my mileage to get better, not worse.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Would you even bother with getting the rebate?

Apart from a few people that may have 20k or more the most people will get back would be enough for a tank of petrol at most. Kia would be better off just handing out everyone a free tank of petrol.

Even if they fudged the numbers, its not the apocalypse. I wont bother with the rebate, I didnt buy the car for its economy. I brought it because I wanted it.
I'll pass 26,000 miles tomorrow. I reckon *my* rebate will surpass the $88 quoted in the article. Free money is free money, dude. For as long as I own it, too.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
Submitted my claim Sunday morning through KIA U.S.A website. 15,128 miles driven in Illinois since 3/20/12. Rebate of $123.40. Gas prices in my area have been average $3.50 - $4.45 a gallon during this time.

Best tank, hand calculated, was 39.1 mpg. I was averaging 36.7 mpg, driving 85 % highway and speeds near 65 - 70 mph. I'm now averaging 34.4 mpg with more stop and go traffic when not on highway, due to shift change at work.

I'm okay with the numbers. I never believed the 40 mpg claims. I probably would have bought a Subaru Impreza 4 door sedan if the revised numbers were on the car originally. Both cars now match up on paper. I still think the Rio would get better actual mileage. Driving an AWD car in the snow will consume more fuel. I'll just drive the Family Subaru Forester for the 3 months of the year the roads are snowy in Illinois. Snow tires and rims are still more affordable than trading an upside down car for a $25,000 Impreza.

Can KIA reflash the onboard computer to better calculate the estimated MPG? I always subtract 4 mpg to get even close to the real thing. I should just top looking at it.

Canada folks, sorry for the non-metric data post!

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
Submited my claim this morning calulated at $143 and change right at 18000 miles and purchased it on 3/3/12 with 10:miles on the clock.

I'm actually relieved that the numbers have been adjusted, now I won't worry about something being wrong with my Rio.

·
Registered
71 Posts
says I should be getting back about 85 dollars.

*shrugs* I never was specifically displeased with my MPG's - I came from a 4cylinder S10 that took 60 dollars to fill and only got me 23MPGs - I always get 30+ so I'm generally happy.

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts
Have my MPG Reimbursement Claim Ticket printed & have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow afternoon for verification of ownership/mileage. Something is definitely better than nothing! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
Don't forget to bring your registration. Kia needs a copy to prove that you still own the car. Ugh! I forgot mine.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
412 Posts
So we all know that US estimates are more realistic, so I converted the new US numbers to metric to see what they are saying I should be getting...

City: 8.4 L/100km
Hwy: 6.5 L/100km
Combined: 7.6 L/100km

Seems realistic to me, I am getting about that, my average over 6 months and 10,000 km's is 7.5 L/100km, that is mostly mixed/traffic driving, but included 4,000 km's all highway, where the best i saw was 5.78 L/100km on one of the fillups.

Those numbers are all calculated, and tend to be between 0.4 and 0.8 higher than what the computer said.

That being said, I still think that even these numbers are a bit high for a subcompact car that is touted as being a fuel sipper... I would peg something like 8.4 city to more like a Ford Focus type sized car...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX White
312 Posts
I Think im hooped.. i bought my 2013 used with 14k kms on it 2 weeks ago and put on 1000km sofar.. but i put on over 35000km a year

..$9.47

that is what I get.. so maybe its best to drive the car till the last week this is valid for.

yup looks like ill be driving as much as possible till near cut off date.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
they are estimating my return of $135.75. Had the car since the end of april and have put on roughly 23,500kms since then.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
5 Posts
I Think im hooped.. i bought my 2013 used with 14k kms on it 2 weeks ago and put on 1000km sofar.. but i put on over 35000km a year

..$9.47

that is what I get.. so maybe its best to drive the car till the last week this is valid for.

yup looks like ill be driving as much as possible till near cut off date.
The way I read it is you receive a pre-paid card that you can top up at any time, so if you register now at low km you can top up in two weeks time and still get the same rebate amount as someone who waits two weeks. (based on same area and fuel prices and kilometers driven)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
5 Posts
It's like a pre-paid debit card, use it and after a few months top the card back up. Based on my mileage & cost of fuel I could get a couple fill-ups every few months. The card will be good for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Based on the numbers here,
KCOPE316 is getting ± 0.497 cent/km [Columbus, OH]
ICEJEDI 0.510 c/km [Illinois]
JROB13 0.578 c/km [Barrie, Ontario]
XAKKXXX 0.730 c/km [Edmonton, Alberta]
Flem 0.788 c/km [Chambly, QC]
Air Rio 0.500 c/km

I'm getting $0.730 /km [Southwest Ontario]

I can only assume Flem is paying a bit more in gas than the rest? how much is gas in Chambly, Flem?

61 - 80 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.