Kia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gee all those posts from day one I made that the overall fuel economy of my R5 sucks hot donkey balls no matter how I drive finally comes to fruition. Imagine that, I was right.
.... and I remember the great laugh I got out of it when you said it.... Still makes me laugh...lolololo

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
It hurts me a bit to see this because Ive never cared too much about my mileage cause I drive the little Rio like a young kid that I am. But it seems like many other forum members are dissapointed.

I Chose the Rio not only for the gas mileage but a ton of other reasons and at the end of the day I cant see my choice being swayed otherwise. At $88 a year are you really going to say you would have chosen another car?

I just detailed and washed the Rio today and added a couple little mods because its been the only Vancouver day without rain. I love my Rio to care for it like crazy. I get very excited when I see other Kia's on the road and it makes me feel proud of how our brand has expanded and grown. Things like this will happen and may it be lie or mistake I will still be behind our Kia's.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Spin Doctors at KIA

Wow

This is some of the best fiction I have ever read - Straight from the spin doctors at KIA :eek:

How did this happen?

In 2009 Kia and Hyundai's joint testing facility created a new team of engineers to improve MPG testing procedures. One of the first things they attempted to do was increase test accuracy and repeatability by creating additional protocols, which complied with EPA guidelines, for Kia engineers to follow in every test to enhance reliability. What we learned from the EPA is that some of those new procedures do not comply with their interpretation and industry practices and led to overstated MPG ratings.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
glad I took that advice because the reality so far is 8.19 (thanks OzSLS :D).
I would have still bought my Rio, I still love it but it is interesting to see the real figures.
no problem, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad (like my last tank)

i find that if you fill the tank after about 1/4 or so is burnt away, the real economy is better than the computer says. If you fill it at 1/2 empty or so, the economy is worse than the computer says.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Would you even bother with getting the rebate?

Apart from a few people that may have 20k or more the most people will get back would be enough for a tank of petrol at most. Kia would be better off just handing out everyone a free tank of petrol.

Even if they fudged the numbers, its not the apocalypse. I wont bother with the rebate, I didnt buy the car for its economy. I brought it because I wanted it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good News! Love the car but fuel economy has been a huge let down since the beginning. I am typically in the neighborhood of 23-24 mpg city, 28-30 mix. All things considered, they are getting off easy. Things like this hurt a cars image and drag down resale value because even tho the economy numbers are still decent, the perception is that they are "bad" and kia was in the wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would you even bother with getting the rebate?

Apart from a few people that may have 20k or more the most people will get back would be enough for a tank of petrol at most. Kia would be better off just handing out everyone a free tank of petrol.

Even if they fudged the numbers, its not the apocalypse. I wont bother with the rebate, I didnt buy the car for its economy. I brought it because I wanted it.
I am typically not in the practice of leaving money on the table that is being reimbursed to me. Feel free to mail me your debit card.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I am typically not in the practice of leaving money on the table that is being reimbursed to me.
haha this ^^

yes i'd certainly take a fuel card if they offered it here. We're saving for a house so every cent matters right now. We were using two v8's as dailys before this so we in particularly bought this car for economy. While the differences aren't enough for me to care about (we certainly don't buy going off the economy sticker), if they're handing out benefits then i'll put my hand up.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Pro_cee'd GT Tech
85 Posts
WOW that's a big discrepancy.

I use an app called 'Gas Manager" and the actual economy compared to the trip computer is out by between .3 and .5 of litre per 100km with each fill up.

I've done just under 9000km in 4 months with my Rio SLi (manual) and fuel economy to date (actual) is 6.8L/100km. Given that I do 80% freeway/highway it's a tad disappointing but is no drama as i didnt buy the car purely for economy.

I've had a few 6.5L/100km (based on per tank) and these are always when I have had only to and from work (100km round trip mostly freeway). And a week ago i had 7.9L/100km when I was on leave and did very little freeway driving.

Based on my driving style (I'm no grandma but I dont thrash either) the economy isnt great.

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 SX (MT)
11 Posts
1) I have yet to see any car EVER hit sticker MPG (some are over alittle some are short ALOT) so I purchased my new 2013 Rio5 SX (MT) knowing that I may not hit the 30-40 mark.

2) At 362 miles so far on odo and 2 tanks of gas I have got 26.73 & 28.41 (average 27.57 mpg) in the city and 35.26 & 37.63 (average 36.44 mpg) Combined (32.005)

*note this is actual proper measuring at fill up verses dash display and the engine has yet to be broke in.

VERSES

2013 RIO5 SX 1.6L Manual 2WD (City)30 (Hwy)40 (Comb)34
now showing (City)29 (Hwy)37 (Comb)32

I am pretty happy with my actual mileage when compared to idea(l) testing data. Even if it had showed the new mileage on the stick I would still have got my Rio5.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx 6spd Manual
24 Posts
Wwolf your getting almost exactly what I'm getting. My stickshift LX is averaging about 32mpg after 1200 miles. That's with 60city/40hwy combo driving. Best tank was 33.5 and worst was 31.5. And I couldn't be happier with it. The last two tanks are pretty spirited driving too, including several redline bursts in each tank. For the performance we get, you realistically cannot complain about the gas mileage. Or you really shouldn't. Heck my 2002 96hp Rio only averaged 32mpg with the same driving. So this car gets the same mpg's, has 42hp more, goes 0-60 in 8.0sec vs 11.0sec with the old rio, looks 1000 times better, 2002 rio cost $13000 & 2013 rio cost $14000 --- to me this car is awesome!
Anyway I always assumed the mpg sticker was off. They always are. A dead give away is they rated the auto transmission cars the same as manual cars. Granted the 6spd auto helps, but in real life driving an auto car will never deliver the same mpg's. Highway driving it can possibly do it, but not city or combo driving - no way. Even with the efficient 6spd auto, from every test I can find, you are losing about 1.5sec in 0-60 times (9.5 vs 8.0). That alone tells me that even the 6spd auto is no where near as efficient as the 6spd manual. Granted finial drive ratios, etc. can play some picture there, but not that much. Likely an auto, due to extra parasitic drag is losing about 10% extra of its horsepower vs a manual, as evident from its performance loss. Which isn't to far off fromnormal. Typical manual cars have a 12-15% drivetrain loss, where as autos can have anywhere from 15-22% drivetrain loss to the wheels. Any manual car put on a dyno will always show higher horsepower numbers than a similar equipped auto car does. How much is determined by how efficient the transmissions are.
What this extra loss means is that more power is needed to obtain a certain speed. If more power is needed, more gas is also needed. Thus poorer mpg's.
I guess I shouldn't hammer on the auto vs manual subject too much - likely 90% of the US owners here have auto's, some by choice, but many because they couldn't find a manual.
But I knew the manual would offer better performance and better gas mileage and I was willing to wait over a month to get my 6 spd manual car. I am the type of person who actually likes driving. I like to mod cars. I like to hear engines rev while running them through the gears. 90% of my driving is done with the windows down to increase driving experience. Now if I had settled for boring auto transmission - I'd be kicking myself in the butt for years to come. I've had(and still have) much faster vehicles, but this little car is still a joy to drive. Plenty quick enough to have some serious fun. Absolutely kills my 2002 Rio in fun factor and over all performance. My other vehicle (modded truck) does 0-60 mph in 5.6sec(also a manual BTW) but I truthfully have just as much fun driving the little 8 sec rio. Now if it was a 9.5sec auto...... Though I see some mods in the future for this little rio. Better tires and CAI being the main two comes to mind.
Anyway sorry about the auto bashing and I mean no offense to those owners. I know I'm a minority here. But mainly what I'm getting at is, where is can you get a 8.0 0-60mph car that gets the 32mpg combo driving I get? And offers the great looks and super price on top?
That's a pretty hard combo to beat. I too will accept the money if Kia offers it to me. I don't reject free money if I'm truly entitled to it. But I didn't really expect what the EPA rated the car at - I expected it to be off. As long as it offered decent mpg's, I knew I would be content. And it does even better than decent - very good in my eyes.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Got a "Kia Customer Notification" email on this today.
Got one too. Says to register on the Website on November 6. A ton of money in my pockets. Zillion of dollars of fuel await for me...Seriously, hats off to Kia for taking the matter in hands so swiftly.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I got one too & an Email from my dealer. Most impressive:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my Rio EX on October 30 2012. I currently only have 250 miles on my Rio and have yet to refill my tank for the first time. I am expecting to get about 30 mpg combined but this is only a rough estimate obviously, especially since I didn't fill up the car for my free "full tank". We will see soon. I am wondering how this will all work out for me as I feel ripped off yet happy about my purchase at the same time. How long will I have to wait to submit my mpg information? Who knows. Obviously 250 miles is not am ideal time to request a reimbursement since future mileage could differ greatly. Can I return my rio and pick up a forte instead? Maybe I will come to love this little car as much as I did when I first saw it again someday. I guess well see.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5
66 Posts
.... I'm just over 6,000 miles and I'm averaging 38MPG in the mountains of western Pennsylvania. Not everyone is getting poor fuel economy. .....
Wow - good for you. I've had my car for a year,
and only 5,555 miles. I never have seen 32... getting 29 or 30 mpg in NJ.
I average 40mph...

:crying:

I went to the web site. My car qualifies. :)

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.