Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Mine's a Lemon

No don't say this. I don't regret my Rio. We all bought the best subcompact on the market. That's for sure. The point of all this is some (like me) read the sticker in the window and were influenced by the awesome numbers. That's why some Rio owners are so disappointed by their FE. Some others are not cause they don't care that much about FE as long as they own the best subcompact. I understand that point of view too. But I was misleaded by Kia on the fuel economy. Fortunately only on that matter. I love my Rio and probably would not have bought another car even with the actual numbers we see today. Enraged not, disappointed yes. A bit. But I wouldn't like to be in my dealer's shoes today. ELI 10 don't worry. You (we) still drive the top of the top subcompact. Do see yourself driving a Fiesta now? A Fit? Gosh, never in a thousand years.
Racineur - Thanks for the upbeat response, and I do like the technology this car brings to the table. I think my particular Rio5, however, is a lemon. First I had ISG issues (still not resolved), then my UVO just totally shutdown (KIA replaced the unit), and now I'm getting a swishing water sound from my heater core area that my dealer has yet to resolve (this is driving me crazy). This will make my 5th trip back to the dealer in 4 weeks!

Great design, great technology, bad luck!

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
is a correction of .3L to .6L/100km is going to effect your driving purchase decision for economy and not take in all the other features of the vehicle, if so it would have not been the vehicle you would have purchased in the first place.
It's a paperwork adjustment it does not suddenly make you vehicle get any improved mileage unless you do that yourself.

There is bigger adjustments in Soul's claimed mileage, but it really doesn't bother me, as I knew what I was getting just means I'm closer to exceeding the mileage claims. Kia is taking care of this error responsibly and by November 6th (according to the website) Canadian owners will be able to figure out roughly the amount of the reimbursement.

It does not effect the Forte, Optima (other than the Hybrid), Rondo, V6 Sorento's,
Conwel, I understand what you're saying here. But let's not dedradamatize the facts too much. Our cars are still the best in my opinion but I see this whole thing as a small lie from the part of Hyundai/Kia. Not a big one I agree even one for which the consequences are negligible but still a lie. Sure they will compensate but something tells me the Hyundai/Kia brand will suffer from this. Being in PR, I can tell you consumers will gladly take the money but will be left for a certain distrust for some time. They won't the see the acknowledgment and compensation by Hyundai/Kia as gracious as it is in reality.;)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
Conwel, I understand what you're saying here. But let's not dedradamatize the facts too much. Our cars are still the best in my opinion but I see this whole thing as a small lie from the part of Hyundai/Kia. Not a big one I agree even one for which the consequences are negligible but still a lie. Sure they will compensate but something tells me the Hyundai/Kia brand will suffer from this. Being in PR, I can tell you consumers will gladly take the money but will be left for a certain distrust for some time. They won't the see the acknowledgement and compensation by Hyundai/Kia as gracious as it is in reality.;)
I don't know how you come to the conclusion that it's a lie, do you not think that people and companies do make errors and its not a deliberate intention to deceive. To me I feel an error was made, and now they acknowledge it and going to great efforts to make it right. In no way do I feel I was lied to, until I see some proof of this.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
here's the revised economy listing for Canada for the 2012 model year

and the 2013 models effected

calculations will be available on the Canadian website on November 6th. Does not effect any purchases after November 2nd.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I don't know how you come to the conclusion that it's a lie, do you not think that people and companies do make errors and its not a deliberate intention to deceive. To me I feel an error was made, and now they acknowledge it and going to great efforts to make it right. In no way do I feel I was lied to, until I see some proof of this.
Conwelpic, "lie" said in a general manner. I could have used "error" I give that to you.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
KiaFraud... ???

Regardless of your driving habits, what they claimed was a lie, not a mistake. You should get what you thought you were paying for!
Hey, I got what I thought I was paying for. I'm just over 6,000 miles and I'm averaging 38MPG in the mountains of western Pennsylvania. Not everyone is getting poor fuel economy. I'm not taking that 38MPG number from the display on the dash, I do it the correct way by dividing the total miles driven by the total gallons of fuel that I have put into the tank since I picked it up new at the dealer. I'm impressed with my rio5's mileage, performance, and quality.

Since most Rios are sold with automatic transmissions, has anyone compared those mileage numbers with the manual transmission cars? I have the manual transmission and it's great.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Gee all those posts from day one I made that the overall fuel economy of my R5 sucks hot donkey balls no matter how I drive finally comes to fruition. Imagine that, I was right.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Hatchback, 1990 Mustang GT
12 Posts
Gee all those posts from day one I made that the overall fuel economy of my R5 sucks hot donkey balls no matter how I drive finally comes to fruition. Imagine that, I was right.
Even after they did the correction it wasn't that much, still great mileage if you ask me.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Reimbursement

My boss handed me a printout on this when I walked through the door...

"The owner of a car in Florida with a one mpg difference who drove 15,000 miles would get a debit card for $88.03 that can be refreshed every year as long as the person owns the car"

...from an AP article (by Tom Krisher)

25,858 miles on mine so far. I registered & received a reply stating further instructions would follow. The dealer is supposed to verify the odo as well.

Oh...and I have *no regrets* whatsoever in my purchase. My Little Pillbug has, and is still, serving me well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Manual Tranny = Better MPG

Hey, I got what I thought I was paying for. I'm just over 6,000 miles and I'm averaging 38MPG in the mountains of western Pennsylvania. Not everyone is getting poor fuel economy. I'm not taking that 38MPG number from the display on the dash, I do it the correct way by dividing the total miles driven by the total gallons of fuel that I have put into the tank since I picked it up new at the dealer. I'm impressed with my rio5's mileage, performance, and quality.

Since most Rios are sold with automatic transmissions, has anyone compared those mileage numbers with the manual transmission cars? I have the manual transmission and it's great.
Aegisranger - I believe your MPG figures. On other Hyundai/KIA forums the guys with the sticks were not complaining about gas mileage. The KIA automatic is one of the smoothest shifting transmissions on the planet and I believe you pay for this smoothness with less efficiency and more slipage. In contrast the Ford Fiesta automatic (dual clutch) shifts like a tank, but has much better efficiency than the KIA unit.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Not really.. my best tank so far on straight highway using Shell was 35 MPG. I have a 30/70 city hwy commute to work and my average tank is 31 MPG. I track every tank on the EPA website as well and have documented this well since the first tank. I am glad to know I was right and Kia has been blowing smoke up my ass since the first visit to the dealer specifically complaining about the mileage. Short of driving downhill drafting a truck there is no way in hell this car comes close to what they claimed. First and last vehicle I purchase from Kia / Hyundai.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
Mine is an automatic and I can never get anywhere near what is posted. On my Mazda6 V6 manual, I can actually get the advertised numbers. If my Rio5 was a manual, I think I can get much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX, Ford Explorer
9 Posts
It is really good to see KIA acknowledge this problem. Since I got my car in March I've put 25,000km on it averaging over 100km a day. I have never gotten close to the city mileage let alone the highway mileage and all my driving is highway on level roads at a constant 90km/h. I have to say I like everything about my Rio5 and the mileage is still pretty good, just not what they said it would be. Just for info I've tracked my mileage in an Iphone app since day one and my average is 7.39 L/100km or 38.21 MPG (imperial gallons, which is better than if I used american gallons)
I'm not sure the payout will be very much and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of class action lawsuit. I'm sure everyone will have to sign something saying they won't sue in order to get the money.

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Mine is an automatic and I can never get anywhere near what is posted. On my Mazda6 V6 manual, I can actually get the advertised numbers. If my Rio5 was a manual, I think I can get much better fuel economy.
According to the lying dash numbers I am getting 38 MPG.. so 7 miles off.. I honestly would have made a different decision if I had the real numbers in front of me. It was a close decision between this and another car and after a chat with the salesman whom I bought mine from a while ago he mentioned they are lowering the sticker price as well as adjust the MPG now THAT should be interesting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
CPU Mileage = Actual Mileage + 7 (Korean Math)

According to the lying dash numbers I am getting 38 MPG.. so 7 miles off.. I honestly would have made a different decision if I had the real numbers in front of me. It was a close decision between this and another car and after a chat with the salesman whom I bought mine from a while ago he mentioned they are lowering the sticker price as well as adjust the MPG now THAT should be interesting.
Yeh

I can guarantee you the engineers who designed the mileage computer were told to be "optimistic". This borders on being criminal :mad:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX, Ford Explorer
9 Posts
Just a comment about the dash MPG L/100km display. This is the first car I've owned where the number resets everytime I fill up the tank. Then it takes about 50km of driving before it comes down to where it should be as it always defaults to 99 L/100km. I told the dealer/service people about this and they just kinda blew it off. Kinda like when I originally told them 4 months ago about the bad mileage. When I told them the mileage I was getting they said I should be happy about that as it was still pretty good.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Just a comment about the dash MPG L/100km display. This is the first car I've owned where the number resets everytime I fill up the tank. Then it takes about 50km of driving before it comes down to where it should be as it always defaults to 99 L/100km. I told the dealer/service people about this and they just kinda blew it off. Kinda like when I originally told them 4 months ago about the bad mileage. When I told them the mileage I was getting they said I should be happy about that as it was still pretty good.
sure different to my Soul, it used to be much higher after a tank fill when new (like about 29L/100km), but now usually starts around 17L/100km but only takes a kilometer to get a more normal reading dropping very fast.
My last fill-up, showed about 17L/100km, but within about 2k it had dropped down to 5.3L before it levelled off and started increased as I accelerated.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
With only 3000k on the clock I got terribly excited on a long trip when according to my Rio I was getting 4.5L/100. I have never complained about the fuel economy, I plodded along with my busy life believing what the car told me, anywhere between 4.5-7.5.
Then another forum member suggested using a certain iPhone App to measure the actual figures........glad I took that advice because the reality so far is 8.19 (thanks OzSLS :D).
I would have still bought my Rio, I still love it but it is interesting to see the real figures.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.