Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://kiampginfo.com/

Kia has issued a statement regarding the poor MPG ratings that most of us have been experiencing and they are determined to compensate owners of Kia vehicles. Check the above website for more details.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
This Says It All

https://kiampginfo.com/

Kia has issued a statement regarding the poor MPG ratings that most of us have been experiencing and they are determined to compensate owners of Kia vehicles. Check the above website for more details.
Cheers.
Nice find colin15 - this just about says it all - so much for so called driving technique! Looks like a "CYA" move by KIA to keep down the lawsuits. It sucks that a lot of people bought these cars thinking it would save them money in the long run - wrong answer!

Many people on this forum have predicted this was the case. Also my Rio5 has been in the shop 4 times in the past month for various reasons and I wish I would have kept my Soul that gave me absolutely no problems, and I did not expect excellent gas mileage from the Soul like I do from my Rio5 - bummer :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Holy Cow!

A 6 MPG exaggeration on the Soul!

Hyundai/Kia to Correct Overstated MPG Claims as Result of EPA Investigation

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today announced that Hyundai Motor America and Kia Motors America will lower their fuel economy (mpg) estimates for the majority of their model year 2012 and 2013 models after EPA testing found discrepancies between agency results and data submitted by the company.

The auto companies have submitted to the EPA a plan for cars currently on dealer lots to be re-labeled with new window stickers reflecting the corrected mileage estimates. The mileage on most vehicle labels will be reduced by one to two mpg, and the largest adjustment will be six mpg highway for the Kia Soul.

"Consumers rely on the window sticker to help make informed choices about the cars they buy,' said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Air and Radiation. "EPA's investigation will help protect consumers and ensure a level playing field among automakers."

At its National Vehicle and Fuel Emission Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, Mich., EPA routinely tests vehicles – 150 to 200 a year, or about 15 percent of the possible vehicle configurations – to ensure that their performance matches the mileage and emissions data required to be submitted to EPA by automakers.

This auditing helps to ensure that vehicles on the road meet tailpipe emission standards to protect public health and the environment and that all carmakers follow the same procedures for calculating mileage estimates. EPA conducts both random and targeted audits, based on factors such as consumer complaints.

EPA had received a number of consumer complaints about Hyundai mileage estimates. Through the agency's ongoing audit program, staff experts at EPA's NVFEL observed discrepancies between results from EPA testing of a MY2012 Hyundai Elantra and information provided to EPA by Hyundai.

The agency expanded its investigation into data for other Hyundai and Kia vehicles, leading to today's announcement.

EPA's audit testing occasionally uncovers individual vehicles whose label values are incorrect and requires that the manufacturer re-label the vehicle. This has happened twice since 2000. This is the first time where a large number of vehicles from the same manufacturer have deviated so significantly.

EPA and DOE are updating their joint fuel economy site, Fuel Economy, to reflect the Hyundai and Kia corrected numbers.

For more information, please see: EPA Investigation Prompts Carmaker to Correct Inflated Mileage Claims| Fuel Economy | US EPA

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX UVO
51 Posts
Kia is putting in place a comprehensive reimbursement program. If you’re a current owner, it’s important to note that reimbursement will be available for your lifetime ownership of your vehicle. You will need to register online or through your dealer before December 1, 2013 to be eligible.
Gotta find that link soon...

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Weren't we all right after all, all of us who complained of bad FE compared to what was advertised? And yes so much for all those who advocate better driving techniques the likes of "grandma" driving on a Sunday afternoon. So so so so disappointed in Kia and in myself. Should have known better...Unfortunately, it seems this good news is for US market only. Will surely come to Canada and around the world soon.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
will this apply to australian models as well?

the problem with the fuel economy in our Rio is it's all over the place. Last tank we got 7.07L/100km according to the distance travelled, and litres put in at the pump. Just filled up again tonight and got 9.27L/100, for normal driving and that was using 98RON last tank! Worst economy so far.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
I wonder if the same will happen to Hyundai and their Eantra's advertised 40/33 MPG.

However, they just updated the numbers to 38/32... so I guess they are up to something.

·
Registered
313 Posts
After all the fuss, it comes down to a matter of trust. Wasn't there some years ago something about some Hyundai engines advertising more HP than they carried? I feel so stupid today. So childish. I hope this program comes to Canada and Australia for you too OzSLS. So today I know I didn't buy the most ecomomical subcompact on the market. That's a relief after all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Too Late

After all the fuss, it comes down to a matter of trust. Wasn't there some years ago something about some Hyundai engines advertising more HP than they carried? I feel so stupid today. So childish. I hope this program comes to Canada and Australia for you too OzSLS. So today I know I didn't buy the most ecomomical subcompact on the market. That's a relief after all.
I definitely should have read this forum before I bought my Rio5 :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
I definitely should have read this forum before I bought my Rio5 :(
No don't say this. I don't regret my Rio. We all bought the best subcompact on the market. That's for sure. The point of all this is some (like me) read the sticker in the window and were influenced by the awesome numbers. That's why some Rio owners are so disappointed by their FE. Some others are not cause they don't care that much about FE as long as they own the best subcompact. I understand that point of view too. But I was misleaded by Kia on the fuel economy. Fortunately only on that matter. I love my Rio and probably would not have bought another car even with the actual numbers we see today. Enraged not, disappointed yes. A bit. But I wouldn't like to be in my dealer's shoes today. ELI 10 don't worry. You (we) still drive the top of the top subcompact. Do see yourself driving a Fiesta now? A Fit? Gosh, never in a thousand years.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I still save money driving the Rio5 over having to drive my dad's old Aveo5 or my Rav4. This is just a nice bonus to be compensated.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I don't think a 3% error will be much of a refund! I am happy with the fuel economy of my Rio.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd have to agree, ±3% of difference is negligible in my opinion. But do look at the bright side: KIA and Hyundai are actually admitting to their error and am doing something about it.
So what if it's not as efficient as advertised? If I saw the 7.1 L/100km instead of 6.8 L/100km, I don't think it would matter. As a matter of fact, I don't think I even looked at the fuel economy. I just knew that being a rio it will be cheap and efficient on gas.. which it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty difficult to lie about fuel economy, imagine what else they lie about their cars about.

Hyundai and Kia Fuel Ratings Were Incorrect - Autos.ca

What else are they lying about their cars?!! UNBELIEVABLE.

They should be made to pay people back for all the litres of fuel people used that they thought they were getting!

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/hyundai-and-kia-fuel-ratings-were-incorrect/

Weren't we all right after all, all of us who complained of bad FE compared to what was advertised? And yes so much for all those who advocate better driving techniques the likes of "grandma" driving on a Sunday afternoon. So so so so disappointed in Kia and in myself. Should have known better...Unfortunately, it seems this good news is for US market only. Will surely come to Canada and around the world soon.
Time to sell these heaps back to them and a class action lawsuit filed.

That's not the point. Regardless of your driving habits, what they claimed was a lie, not a mistake. You should get what you thought you were paying for!

Neither, thanks. I've said my bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
is a correction of .3L to .6L/100km is going to effect your driving purchase decision for economy and not take in all the other features of the vehicle, if so it would have not been the vehicle you would have purchased in the first place.
It's a paperwork adjustment it does not suddenly make you vehicle get any improved mileage unless you do that yourself.

There is bigger adjustments in Soul's claimed mileage, but it really doesn't bother me, as I knew what I was getting just means I'm closer to exceeding the mileage claims. Kia is taking care of this error responsibly and by November 6th (according to the website) Canadian owners will be able to figure out roughly the amount of the reimbursement.

It does not effect the Forte, Optima (other than the Hybrid), Rondo, V6 Sorento's,

·
Registered
2012 KIA RIO 5dr Hatchback, Model: EX, 1.4 CVVT Engine, A/T
42 Posts
Hope Kia also checks the fuel consumption of cars sold outside North America and Canada dealers.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.