Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego 4wd V6, 1950 Studebaker P/U
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a wrecked Borrego with a V8 and would like to install the engine/trans into my Studebaker truck. I will get the computer/wiring harness.
What are the biggest issues I would have?
Any help would be appreciated. My original plan was a Chevy LS engine which has tons of aftermarket support, but I think the Kia would be awesome in the Studebaker. 2 underdog companies.

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
74 Posts
Sounds like an awesome swap! I am really impressed with the 4.6L V8.

If you have explored the LS swap you are probably aware of all the electronic issues involved in moving a modern engine/transmission/ECM out of its natural home. Through knowledge of all the systems and interfaces is required and I have seen little detail on the KIA systems. I am putting a late Ford V8 into an old car at the moment and that required significant reprogramming of the computer software. Not sure how many KIA tuners are operating out there.

Your search and results would be valuable information for us trying to keep these engines running in their original vehicles.

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
What a Great Project!

I'm sure that a Tau V8/Studebaker truck conversion would be right up there with the most unususual projects ever. That being said, it would also be one of of the coolest (in my opinion). Everybody wants to do a LS or LT Chevy in whatever they are building. I'm sorry, but, that is plain boring (been done at least a million times). Going with the Tau would set you apart from anything (currently) out there. The downside is that you will be breaking new ground here. There are no (easy) "kits" to help you get that motor running in your Stude. If you look on the Hyundai Genesis forums there are several companies that are getting into performance accessories for the Tau. I am sure that those guys would be more than willing to help you get it working. If you have access to the wiring harness and ECU for the engine and transmission that should simplify the project alot.
Good Luck and keep us in the loop if you decide to do this,
Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts