Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Finland.

I have some problems with my Kia Carnival 2.9 CRDI EX 2002.

I have replaced after The problem occurred:
- most of the many vacuum hoses.
- battery
- ground wire from battery to motor
- air filter
- diesel filter

Non of them helped.

My ECU goes to Safe Mode so engine revs only 3000r/min.
Clearing error codes in Kia Service helps for some days.
Some days I can drive with no problems and then it comes.
There isn't never ANY error codes, but clearing error codes helps in Kia Service
(I have done it also by my self in Kia Service).

So I bought ODB II reader from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7980588892

Well maybe this does not work very well and Kia'a 2.9CRDI ECU from 2002 might not be so compatible with ODB II. Because clearing codes with that adapter (and with my laptop with ODB II software) it maybe clear the error codes (which aint any there) but it does not clear the safe mode so that the engine could rev over 3000r/min.

Does anybody know how to clear ECU from safe Mode (no revs over 3000) with Windows Hyperterminal?

Also I found about 2dl "black shit" just under the air heater that aint good for the angine...:wallbash:
(so cleaned that off)

I have heard that this problem might be:
- Engine Earth problem
- Diesel injector problem
- break swicth problem

Last time this problem came when I was very slightly accelerating, so I think it cannot be the brake switch.:thumbsup:

Is it that black shit... and how could it be stopped not to come more there (Catch can tank or something like that. Or blind metal plate to EGR valve not to work...)

By the way :blush: where is located EGR in this engine. Is it that blow of valve look in the front of the engine (left hand) with one vacuum pipe and one exhaust pipe back to manifold? Because no electricity in it cannot be EGR? Should EGR -valve work only when engine is cold... warm exhaust back to motor so catalysator warms quickly?.

I'm very pleased of any kind of helpful information.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Could be brake switch adjustment, it's a 2 part switch, one for brake lights other to shut fuel off. Needs careful adjustment to get just right.
Check fuel for contamination, remove filter, empty contents into a clear container, and look for metal fragments.
Injector problem will throw a code for the injector.
Could also be ECU... has it been jump started lately? very sensitive to surges on the delphi system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 5 2005, 08:57 PM
Could be brake switch adjustment, it's a 2 part switch, one for brake lights other to shut fuel off. Needs careful adjustment to get just right.
Check fuel for contamination, remove filter, empty contents into a clear container, and look for metal fragments.
Injector problem will throw a code for the injector.
Could also be ECU... has it been jump started lately? very sensitive to surges on the delphi system.
I s it possible to reprogram ECU again or replaced (I mean only the chip) with ODB II cable?

If it is possible who knows what company does it in Europe?
Or could I find somewhere freeware program for that... but problem is that where could I find good ECU data which could be burned to my ECU.

In Finland is hard to have any kind of information about KIA, because KIA cars has been imported only from september 2004.

What did you mean about the brake switch. Careful adjustment.
Is that fuel cut switch the only problem. ECU does not care about the light switch?
Cut fuel first before any real braking ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The switch is a single unit with 2 switches inside.
One switch controls the brake lights.
The other controls a fuel cut for the injection system.
They can be badly adjusted meaning the fuel cut operates when you are not using the brakes.

Usually theres an internal failure of the ECU, which means very expensive replacement, the fuel system is a Deliphi system, can you find a Delphi agent in your country?
There is also a software update for the CRDi Sedona's, although only dealers have this facility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 6 2005, 12:55 AM
The switch is a single unit with 2 switches inside.
One switch controls the brake lights.
The other controls a fuel cut for the injection system.
They can be badly adjusted meaning the fuel cut operates when you are not using the brakes.

Usually theres an internal failure of the ECU, which means very expensive replacement, the fuel system is a Deliphi system, can you find a Delphi agent in your country?
There is also a software update for the CRDi Sedona's, although only dealers have this facility.
Okay,
:rolleyes:
Thanks, thanks Ï'll try that at least in weekend. I will inform about the result... after clearing ECU to normal state (out of the safe mode) and driving a while.

·
Registered
391 Posts
this sounds very similar to my problem I got a new ECU £1200 GBP although under warranty. the ECU reports itself as okay it ran at no more than 2000 revs, it was overfuelling the system. they also checked brake light switch.. if you hook your foot under the pedal and lift the brake that should stop the problem with a brake switch.. mine became very smokey... see my thread it may be a similar problem.

http://www.kia-forums.com/t4363-sedona-engine-problems.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by clartsonly@Jul 6 2005, 06:54 PM
this sounds very similar to my problem I got a new ECU £1200 GBP although under warranty.  the ECU reports itself as okay it ran at no more than 2000 revs, it was overfuelling the system.  they also checked brake light switch.. if you hook your foot under the pedal and lift the brake that should stop the problem with a brake switch.. mine became very smokey... see my thread it may be a similar problem.
http://www.kia-forums.com/t4363-sedona-engine-problems.htm
Yes, I have read you case... I don't want to believe it is ECU.... Because not in warranty so so expensive repair. I try everything else first... if I will have he same problem after one week (biggest driving time after resetting the ECU), I have to do something with the ECU. I wanted to reprogram it ... not to buy a new "motherboard" with a chip which might be updated/reprogrammed?

Nearest Delpi workshop seem to be in Sweden...well I'm also I a hurry with this case.

Nobody know how to clear the safe mode from this car with odbII -adapter and Windows Hyperterminal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, fixed the brake switch last Thursday,
I also opened the brake switch and fixed more strenght for the diesel cut off spring.

Now when I press brake pedal a very little "nothing" happens in the brake switch (adjusted that way) when I press more it cuts off the injection and if I press a little bit more then the brake lights will come.(Now there is more space between the diesel cut off and brake light) :blush:

So, now I think the brake switch cannot cause the problem?

I was last Friday in Kia Service and we cleared the error codes and now there really was one error code for first time. Error: Injector cylinder three. Gave 10€ for the technician for coffee money. He did not want to take anything from it, because he don't know what is the problem with this car and also he is as good as me using the Kia Diagnostic reader.(I think they have clered the error code at leat four time for free, so I think I have to give something for them... of course first time I did have to pay...50€)

So, went straight away to shop and did buy 4 bottles of diesel injector cleaner (normal usage one bottle). Did put the cleaner liquid right away into tank (4 bottles). :thumbsup:

And now it's fifth day without any problems.:shades:
And engine feels very powerful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by clartsonly@Jul 12 2005, 06:14 PM
that sounds excellent.. I am not sure whether the extra power is from clean injectors or running on the cleaner :D

good luck with it, I hope it has resolved your problems has the smoke and chocking up stopped too?

Yes, let see when I fill diesel tank with normal diesel fuel.
I think also that engine is not so powerful anymore after that, but hope problems won't come again.

Chocking /& smoking problem I did not have ... :innocent:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Usually if it's registered a cylinder injector fault, then it's only a matter of time before a full failure occurs I'm afraid, I hope your lucks beter!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 12 2005, 08:39 PM
Usually if it's registered a cylinder injector fault, then it's only a matter of time before a full failure occurs I'm afraid, I hope your lucks beter!
Yep, Yep,

Today morning on the way to work. Engine is now without engine light in safe mode and revs no more than 3000revs/min.

Damn, should the third cylinder injector changed now?
Only place to buy Carnival injector is Kia dealer ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Kia or Delphi agent.
Although normally if one component fails on the fuel system, something upstream of it has caused it.
Injectors need to be programmed to the car by Kia, and often you'll find the retaining bolt will snap, causing no end of hassle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by clartsonly@Jul 14 2005, 11:55 AM
thats a good idea at least there is no point in stealing a £1200 component off another car.
Third injector has been changed ( went in guarantee ) now and engine is working very well. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts