Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for weekend break and wife needed something from her case in the boot. I gave her the car keys as the car was locked and she opened the boot on the remote. She took out what she wanted from her case and dropped the keys inside the case and then dropped the boot lid. That meant my keys were deadlocked in the boot. RAC arrived within 20mins(even at easter!) and he pumped up door seal with wedges and managed to get wire hook to lift the interior drivers door handle. The handle did not release the deadlock. So he said he would have to go through the engine compartment. He used the same wire to release the bonnet hood under the drivers foot well. Once inside the bonnet, it became a two man operation. He kept his wire on the window opening switch whilst a second person had to hold a wire from battery to fuse box under bonnet. Window opened and my 10 year old son was pushed through, scrambled over the seats and managed to get inside boot. Moral of story is 'never take wife away on an easter break' Many thanks to kind RAC man.

·
Registered
KIA Pro_cee'd 1.6 CRDi -11
94 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Deadlock

Is yours a SmartKey? I have the SmartKey and it will not let me lock the fob in the car; so far anyway. Not tried to lock fob in the boot; I have 2 fobs, might have to try this and see what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is yours a SmartKey? I have the SmartKey and it will not let me lock the fob in the car; so far anyway. Not tried to lock fob in the boot; I have 2 fobs, might have to try this and see what happens.
No, it is not a SmartKey as far as i am aware. It is a fob with flick out key. Of course, I was 250miles away from home otherwise i could have used spare set. I did ask RAC if he would recover vehicle if he couldn't get the keys out. He said he always gave customer the option of him smashing a window but he had never done it and said RAC would not recover vehicle to home in this case presumably as they didn't regard it as a breakdown.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Deadlock

SmartKey has the push to start button, no ignition key hole.
I just went out and tried to do this in my car. Locked the doors and walked around back, opened the boot cover, dropped the keys into the boot and closed the boot. An alarm went off (same tone for when a door is open) and all the doors unlocked.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My key fob has three pictures on it. The top one is a lock in the locked position. The second picture shows the car profile with the boot open and the word HOLD. The third picture is of an open lock.
Now I always use the lock or unlock positions and never use the centre button with the boot unlock on it. I think my wife used the centre boot HOLD buttom to open the boot which left the rest of the car locked and then dropped the boot lid with keys inside. At no time did any alarm go off and i just wonder if the alarm is working.
Now maybe if she had opened the boot using the bottom button unlock then maybe we would have been in your situation.......I don't feel like trying it:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts