Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a dope. I locked my keys in the car using the Access app when I went in to the store.

Now I'm stuck outside the car, because the app keeps giving me an error that says, "Network error. Please move the car or start the engine," but I can't do either of those things!

What should I do?

·
Registered
Looking at getting 2023 Sportage PHEV
37 Posts
That really really sucks. You can try calling Kia Roadside Assistance. Maybe they can check Kia Connect on their side. If not, then they can refer you to a locksmith. Kia will pay up to $75 per incidence for lockouts. Kia Roadside Assitance number is 1-800-333-4 KIA (4542).

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really really sucks. You can try calling Kia Roadside Assistance. Maybe they can check Kia Connect on their side. If not, then they can refer you to a locksmith. Kia will pay up to $75 per incidence for lockouts. Kia Roadside Assitance number is 1-800-333-4 KIA (4542).
I'm thinking maybe I can get in by pushing the little square button on the door handle? The manual says it will search for the key and open the door if it's within 3 feet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm thinking maybe I can get in by pushing the little square button on the door handle? The manual says it will search for the key and open the door if it's within 3 feet.
That seems unlikely. If true, then it's a huge security flaw because it means you wouldn't be able to prevent someone from getting into your car when you've locked it from the inside.

Is your car parked at a place with good cellular reception? I wonder if it's because the car can't get signal or because Kia's server is acting up.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
28 Posts
But you'll probably need the key code that was on the sticker on the fob when you first got the car. Do you have a copy of the key code?

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why didn't the car beep at you when you went to lock the car with the fob inside is what I want to know.
I guess because I locked it with the app right away? Anyway, it looks like the little square button on the front door handle will open it if the fob is close enough. I'll try it when I get back to the car.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
28 Posts
I guess because I locked it with the app right away? Anyway, it looks like the little square button on the front door handle will open it if the fob is close enough. I'll try it when I get back to the car.
I just recreated your scenario by locking my fob in the car through the app. I wasn't able to unlock through the door handle... only through the app.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since it looks like OP had forgotten about this thread. Here's his update to his thread on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kia/comments/wg3fkx/_/iizpovr
So that brings up a question for me. Does that mean that if I sit in my locked car with key in my pocket, engine off, anyone can just open the door from the outside with the button?

That seems like a security flaw and it's strange that it worked for OP, but not DualClutch when he tested it.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,522 Posts
Did that work?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
28 Posts
Since it looks like OP had forgotten about this thread. Here's his update to his thread on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kia/comments/wg3fkx/_/iizpovr
So that brings up a question for me. Does that mean that if I sit in my locked car with key in my pocket, engine off, anyone can just open the door from the outside with the button?

That seems like a security flaw and it's strange that it worked for OP, but not DualClutch when he tested it.
I thought about it afterwards and I bet the time between using the app was the difference. I tried right after I locked my fob in the car and the OP waited till after they were done shopping.

I'm going to test out having someone unlock the door handle from outside.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Volt 2019. Want a 2023 Kia Sportage PHEV.
155 Posts
Does the car not have the feature that prevents the door from locking when the key fob is inside the car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts