Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as usual, I'm overseas and something goes wrong with the van...

My GF spoke with me yesterday to say that the key fob LED lights up but the doors etc do not lock or unlock.

I asked her to change the battery and it's the same situation.

Is there any way to test that the remote is working and sending out a signal?

Is it possible she's turned something off elsewhere that blocks the remote function?

I guess the worst case scenario is to buy another remote and have it programmed by the dealer. Does anybody have any sources for good prices?

I guess eBay is the best place to start.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
If the battery was replaced then you need a new remote no way to fix them. They go through a lot of ware and tear.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the battery was replaced then you need a new remote no way to fix them. They go through a lot of ware and tear.
Ah well...

Still seems a pretty short lifespan for a gently used remote - I've got some that are much older that work perfectly.

Need to seek one out then....:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every time you replace the battery, the key fob becomes useless? Not sure that is right. I just bought a used Kia Sedona 2006 and the previous owner replaced the battery before selling it to me. The key fob still works fine. However, a secondary one does not work, despite producing a red light and having a new battery. What is Kia likely to charge to either get a new one or reprogram this one?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had the same problem... I relced both buttons on the remote. then resoldered the ICs on the remote the problem one was the one near the battery. I could get the remote to work if GENTLE pressure was applied to the IC with the cover off. It would also work if a gentle torque was applied to the remote case. I had no way to test the remote apart from trial and test but I was not prepared to fork out for what was a simple fix.
Works fine now.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every time you replace the battery, the key fob becomes useless? Not sure that is right. I just bought a used Kia Sedona 2006 and the previous owner replaced the battery before selling it to me. The key fob still works fine. However, a secondary one does not work, despite producing a red light and having a new battery. What is Kia likely to charge to either get a new one or reprogram this one?

Thanks,
Mark
It costs $25 at our local KIA dealers to have the remote programmed

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem... I relced both buttons on the remote. then resoldered the ICs on the remote the problem one was the one near the battery. I could get the remote to work if GENTLE pressure was applied to the IC with the cover off. It would also work if a gentle torque was applied to the remote case. I had no way to test the remote apart from trial and test but I was not prepared to fork out for what was a simple fix.
Works fine now.
Do you have any pics of what you soldered?

I would have a go at doing mine if possible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
sorry for the crappy looking solder job but the parts are small my eyes ore oldish and the iron was largish. but it didn't work propely before i started so no great loss. But it does work great plus i put the remote in this ans had a new key cut (the locksmith looked at what i wanted cut and took a bit of convincing to cut the key) the other main problem was removing the imob tranducer from the original key.But thats another story...
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the crappy looking solder job but the parts are small my eyes ore oldish and the iron was largish. but it didn't work propely before i started so no great loss. But it does work great plus i put the remote in this ans had a new key cut (the locksmith looked at what i wanted cut and took a bit of convincing to cut the key) the other main problem was removing the imob tranducer from the original key.But thats another story...
Brian
That's great, it gives me an idea where to look :)

It's a completely different looking remote compared to the US version though! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
@bopbo Thank you for your recommendation how to fix the keyless entry remote. The re-soldering of IC really works and solved the problem! You are BOSS. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just want to add that the chip was the problem for me too. With remote dismantled, press with your finger nail on the chip and try the buttons. Mine worked first time with this.

I then folded over some paper until it was fat enough to press on the chip with the remote cover replaced and it is currently working well. No promises for longevity though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts