Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does Kia have a bad track record for faulty ignitions? the reason I ask is because for the 2nd time now my Kia's ignition has failed trapping my key in the lock, but leaving it unable to turn to start the engine.

first happened four years ago, had to tow it to the dealer, they replaced the ignition but I noticed right away there was still something wrong with the new ignition also. The key wouldn't go in all the way until you jiggled it around a little bit. This is the same thing the old one did right before the key got stuck, so hoping not to have that happen, I left the key in the ignition all the time.

however, last week, my battery was drained and I couldn't open the trunk without taking the key from the ignition. sure enough, when I tried to get it back in, it wouldn't go in all the way and as I was jiggling it it turned a bit and got stuck same as the first one had.

does anyone know if Kia has a history of their ignitions having failures like this? Has Kia offered a fix?

I'm going to see if I can fix it myself this time even if I have to hotwire it, not buying another likely faulty ignition. Anyone know of a good fix, like how I could put in a starter button?

·
Registered
168 Posts
According to this post from ten years ago:
Sorento Key stuck

It was in KIA tech times "key gets stuck in the lock cylinder"

has to do with the brake interlock cable out of adjustment possible due to tempreture veriations

tech times no. KT 2005070604 :D
Observe part number 24 in the attached shifter parts diagram. These cables are usually adjustable, but if not, can be replaced for a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, a used one may stretched just like your used one. 170K presents a serious maintenance responsibility, but if you keep it fixed, it could give you three more years of service. :)
There are also other possible problems. Could some debris be stuck in the lock cylinder? A lock pick or a long sewing needle could dislodge it, and a vacuum cleaner may evacuate it. Clean the key with a solvent and a small brush as well. Then try a small amount of penetrating oil, or some other type of cleaner on the cylinder and the key. You are not trying to soak the cylinder, just get some lube on the tumblers to allow for free movement. Multiple key strokes should allow the oil to migrate to the tumblers. ;)
I noticed that you didn't advise the forum about how you have repaired your previous problem. Please let us all know what solutions you have found so we can all benefit from your experiences. :|

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dan. I will look into that cable. Pretty sure its not debris in the lock cylinder.

i haven't fixed the other problem as yet, plan to take it to the shop when i can. will post fix when it happens. I do appreciate the reminder to do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still trying to get this issue fixed: Kia service department tells me there is a release button somewhere near the gear shifter... I don't see it or anywhere it could be hidden. Any idea as to where it is located?

if I can find that and get the key released, then I can hopefully re-insert the key all the way in and get the vehicle to start so I can drive it to the dealer to get it fixed. Thanks to any who help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Remove the center console to admire the linkage. It is an easy job. When it is removed, you will have some access to the parking brake adjustment nut. Tighten that if the parking brake pedal hits the floorboard.

I am not aware of the access port, but some Toyotas have them next to the shifter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disconnected the other end of the cable from under the ignition switch itself, so that the slack cable is no longer keeping the key stuck in the switch, but the key is still stuck fast in the ignition. . .

I think I remember the tech at the Kia dealership saying that there is a release button/switch located somewhere on the ignition switch by which they were able to get the key unstuck last time. Anyone know the location of such a thing? I haven't been able to find it as yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
eldonorr
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing