Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rondo and occasionally I can't remove the key after shutting off the engine. This has been going on for about a year now. I just took it back to the dealer and of course it wouldn't do it there. The dealer said if he can't see the problem he can't fix it. I understand his point, but I still have the problem. Any help out there?

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Can you rotate the ignition when the key sticks? Or is the key stuck in the ignition, such that you can't rotate it and also you can't remove it? Is it like a mechanical grip holding the key in, or is it like there is something sticky inside the ignition like honey?

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Maybe the steering wheel locking mechanism (I assume the Rondo has one) is malfunctioning? Are you able to turn the steering wheel to see if it unlocks the key rotation? Does it only happen when the steering wheel is at certain positions?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
have you tried spraying some cleaning oil into the lock? You sometimes get something similar happening on regular exterior door locks on a house. Also sounds like the tumblers are not lining up properly.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should have stated at the beginning that I have tried all the obviuos tricks. The doggone thing will work for days and then it just won't rotate to the position that allows your to take the key out of the slot. Wiggling the steering, restarting the engine and moving the car a little, LPS in the key slot, using another key to help push the mechanism in all the way, probably 3 or 4 more that I can't think of right now. Then, all of a sudden, it will come out. It's like it has a mind of it's own.
I was real disappointed in my trip to the dealer. They said sorry, if it doesn't do it here, we can't help. They didn't take anything apart or even attempt to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
2 things:

Graphite dust in the lock not anything like oil, dirt sticks to oil but not graphite!

Have you tried making sure the gear selector is well & truly in Park? Sounds silly but sometimes this can have the same effect you're describing.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked on KGIS and found a wiring diagram for the ignition key solenoid. I took the upper steering column cover off and could see the connector to the solenoid but couldn't reach it. After working my way under the dash, I was able to disconnect the connector for the solenoid. The key hasn't been a problem since. I realize that the key can now be removed while the car is in drive but I'm an old guy. All my old cars were like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked on KGIS and found a wiring diagram for the ignition key solenoid. I took the upper steering column cover off and could see the connector to the solenoid but couldn't reach it. After working my way under the dash, I was able to disconnect the connector for the solenoid. The key hasn't been a problem since. I realize that the key can now be removed while the car is in drive but I'm an old guy. All my old cars were like that.
Such an inspiring post!! I had the same problem with my Rondo 07 and got it resolved after reading your post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
1 Posts
I am also having same exact problem with my 2012 Kia Soul.
First, my battery was dead when I came out to my car in the morning.
But my battery is good, and this is the first time this has ever happened.
Then, I charged my battery and drove to the store.
When I tried to turn off the ignition, it would not turn all the way off, and of course, and leaving the key in the ignition keeps power to accessories.
If I keep trying, wiggle it, turning the wheel, stepping foot on brake, pushing shifter forward enough, eventually, it just "clicks" and allows the key to turn all the way off. But there is no rhyme or reason for when it works. Nothing consistent that indicates what the problem is related to.
Like the OP stated, it just seems to decide on its own to work.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
1 Posts
Key stuck problem fixed.

I had the same problem with 2012 Sedona.
Could not turn key counterclockwise to the "lock" position to remove key.
I tested battery numerous times and about 1/3 of the time test results "marginal" battery.
Took Sedona to Kia, they prorated battery.
No more problems with the key getting stuck.
I am assuming that the control circuit to lock the steering wheel and key cylinder is voltage sensitive.
There may have been a bad ground connection at the battery since ther a numerous wire connections at the battery ground terminal.
Whatever it was the key does not get stuck anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts