Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the key fob key on the end is used for? I have had the car 3.5 months and still dont know.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
My 2014 Sorento has a key slot on the drivers door only, so it can be opened if the fob fails. Not trying to hijack this topic, but I wonder how you start the car if the battery fails in the key fob. I see no where to start the engine with the key

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
My 2014 Sorento has a key slot on the drivers door only, so it can be opened if the fob fails. Not trying to hijack this topic, but I wonder how you start the car if the battery fails in the key fob. I see no where to start the engine with the key
You would just use the actual fob to push the start button instead of your finger.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Not true... My SXL has a key slot on the exterior drivers door handle...I just checked!

You are right.. I just checked too. I completely miss that. So, now you can get into the car and lock the glove box. But you can't start the car with just the key. ;) Wasn't there some key dock on the <2014 models?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
You are right.. I just checked too. I completely miss that. So, now you can get into the car and lock the glove box. But you can't start the car with just the key. ;) Wasn't there some key dock on the <2014 models?
There was a fob dock on '11-'13 models. On the '14, you can start the car by using the actual fob itself to push the start button.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Using the fob to push the start button I think assumes that there is still a weak current in the battery, enough so that direct contact does the trick.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked the pictures you posted of your vehicle, and I can clearly see the key slot on the driver's side exterior door handle.
I never saw it till i saw your replies.. I feel pretty stupid

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's actually an RFID system that uses the fob battery to increase the range. Even with the battery removed in the fob I would expect the direct contact method to work - using traditional RFID excitation of the fob radio circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 sorento lx dealer gave me two fob one with key another says remote starter but all button on the key fob buttons are not working locking the on driver side door key place. I am confuse with starter my key buttons wont work? I dont need a remote starter but definately need to lock & unlock door with key fob. Remote starter is factory fitted i think as the manual is from kiya. Please guide

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
2014 Sorento lx dealer gave me two fob one with key another says remote starter but all button on the key fob buttons are not working locking the on driver side door key place. I am confuse with starter my key buttons wont work? I don't need a remote starter but definitely need to lock & unlock door with key fob. Remote starter is factory fitted i think as the manual is from KIA. Please guide
take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it out :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The remote start is not factory installed. It is a Kia port installed accessory. It comes with its own fob that is different from the original. The original is still required for all functions besides start.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Sorento LX, 2012 Nissan Altima
9 Posts
I have a 2014 Sorento LX model. If the key FOB is left in the vehicle, the doors will still all lock up (with no warning or prohibition) if the door lock switch is activated. YOU ARE LOCKED OUT!
My question: Does anyone know if the "reverse-image" mechanical key, is available from KIA, so it can be concealed outside the vehicle to open the driver's side door? (Like the old days)
I don't think so, just asking. I read somewhere, that if attempt this, all kinds of bad things happen to the vehicle. Ugh!

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Kenack - the regular key FOB for keyless entry is just like a normal key, its only the Smart Key with the keyless ignition will prevent you from locking it inside as it has a transmitter in it.

If you can get a regular key cut from your FOB then you can open your drivers door as normal, but if you have an immobilizer system in it then you can not start the vehicle. Never heard of it affecting anything as you would have to do this if your battery went dead on the FOB, if it caused a problem they would not have provided you with a key slot on the drivers door.

As you haven't filled in your Location or Drives details I don't know where you are located. All Canadian models have immobilizers as standard and have for many years, not sure about the US.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Sorento LX, 2012 Nissan Altima
9 Posts
Thank you conwelpic for your reply. I am in the US, and my vehicle has the immobilizer system. Somewhere I got the impression, that if you used a separate key, without the FOB being close by, and the immobilizer not being aware of that, the system would "scramble," and you would not be able to start the car. I even read one place, that if you attempted to start the vehicle with that "loose" key alone, the starter would not disengage, and would discharge the battery, or could start a fire. (Talk about "fear" information) So that is why I don't want to try this until I can get confirmation that it's okay. I will check with the dealership tomorrow. Today is Sunday, so in the mean time, I thought I'd see if any of you had any experience with this situation.

My FOB must have a transmitter in it also; I can lock/unlock the doors from a distance.
So, it identifies me to the immobilizer system, and I am permitted to proceed. I'm not sure ,with that step in the procedure removed, with a lone key, if I could.(?)

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Thank you conwelpic for your reply. I am in the US, and my vehicle has the immobilizer system. Somewhere I got the impression, that if you used a separate key, without the FOB being close by, and the immobilizer not being aware of that, the system would "scramble," and you would not be able to start the car. I even read one place, that if you attempted to start the vehicle with that "loose" key alone, the starter would not disengage, and would discharge the battery, or could start a fire. (Talk about "fear" information) So that is why I don't want to try this until I can get confirmation that it's okay. I will check with the dealership tomorrow. Today is Sunday, so in the mean time, I thought I'd see if any of you had any experience with this situation.

My FOB must have a transmitter in it also; I can lock/unlock the doors from a distance.
So, it identifies me to the immobilizer system, and I am permitted to proceed. I'm not sure ,with that step in the procedure removed, with a lone key, if I could.(?)
your key FOB only transmits when you push a button, a smart key transmits all the time when you are within a certain distance of your car or inside (28" to 40"). The immobilizer only functions when you insert the key in the ignition as it as to recognize that the transponder in your key FOB matches before it will allow you to start the vehicle, that's why I said you can't start the vehicle with a regular key it will just allow you to enter the vehicle.
Immobilizer is explained on page 4/7 in your manual.
It also shows using the key in the door on page 4/20.

Please fill out your DRIVES and LOCATION details.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts