Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this more on longer trips than shorter ones but I pulled they key out and it felt VERY warm to the touch. :huh: I then touched the area where I insert the key and it was so hot that I could not keep my finger on it. I called the dealer and they seemed to think this wasn't an area of concern but if nobody else has the same experience I'll take it in. Everything is working fine but I wonder if a wire is touching something and causing it to heat up. I had that happen in a computer once (a screw that was threaded too far into the hole and it was grounding to something else).

Anybody else? If this doesn't immediately come to mind please check it next time you are in your vehicle and post for everyone.

Gracias!

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
I would get it checked out because it definately wouldn't be a normal thing. Maybe a relay is stuck and the ignition switch is getting more electrical load than it should. Anyone else have an idea of possible cause?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have never noticed me key being too hot to touch. When you say longer trips - what time frame are you talking about?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never noticed me key being too hot to touch. When you say longer trips - what time frame are you talking about?
At least an hour or more. Short trips it is no hotten than normal. Stick your finger into the area where you insert the key and hold it there. If you can hold it there without problem, please let me know. If it is uncomfortable to do so please let me know. If there are more people with a similar experience it sounds like it is probably normal. My dealer is far away and if I can avoid a trip I'd like to do so. If I am going to fry something no trip is too far certainly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've noticed that also. I don't remember ever having a "hot key" with any other vehicle I've owned before. I think I'll ask the dealer the next time I take it in.

Jimbo

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've noticed the key being warm also. It doesn't get too hot, but definitely noticable. This is the first car I've noticed with that sort of thing. I've noticed it on short and long trips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's feedback, I think it is important enough that it is documented here in case folks at Kia monitor this forum. You never know, it may be something that they issue a service bulletin for if they deem it something problematic. Anyone else who has a similar experience please post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new 2012 Sedona gets a hot ignition key too. Not all the time, but frequently, and it is hotter on longer trips. Just about 2000 miles on the car.
In what may be a related problem, about half the time when you start the car, the automatic locks unlock. They are supposed to do this when shifting into Park, not when you turn the key. Also, about 1 time in 20, when you start the car, you get a jolt in the car like the transmission is trying to shift. I plan to take the car in in the next week or so to have these things looked at. They may or may not be related.

·
Registered
103 Posts
EX V8 - My key also gets hot...sometimes very HOT. I've taken it on a few 5 hour trips. If anyone finds out why this is occuring, please post your findings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2009 Sedona - Ignition Key Hot

I just purchased a used Sedona and noticed on a trip of over 1hour the ignition key was hot. Could barely keep my finger on the ignition is was so hot.
Temperature was in the 70's and rainy so ran headlights all the time. But no heater, nor A/C. Wonder if the headlights are drawing an excess amount of current?
Never had a vehicle that did this. Suspect a bad switch but after reading this it may be normal.

August 8, 2012 Further checking into wiring diagrams I find that the ignition switch is fused for two: a 25 amp and a 30 amp. If both circuits draw full amperage this is quite alot. I checked switch resistance to the headlights and drop was only 0.03 VDC so OK. Wire size was very small for headlights but not cause of hot ignition. Reaching up under dash and you can feel that the whole switch assembly is hot compared to other metal in the same area. Will continue checking. Anyone else find a resolution?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Both of my 2006 Sedonas do this. Intermittently they will just get hot. VERY rarely on my Optima, and never on Rondo or Amanti.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2006 KIA Sedona and have noticed that the key gets hot. It does not seem that anyone has an answer for this. If anyone finds a reason and/or a solution please post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have a 2012 KIA Forte and I noticed key was very hot and ignition area was very warm to touch. I also noticed a few times radio light and outside temp light were not illuminated like they always are. I jiggled key back and forth in ignition and they came on. I'm thinking switch is getting partially stuck in between. That would cause it to get hot. Perhaps some cleaner lubrication?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2009 Borrego and I too noticed soon after I first purchased this vehicle (new) that the key was noticeably warm to the touch when extracted from the ignition hole. I don't think it was ever hot, as some on this thread are saying, but clearly unusually warm. I've owned a number of makes before, including two previous Kias (different models), and this is the first I've experienced a warm key syndrome. Obviously it has not adversely affected by Borrego experience as I still drive this faithful gem 5 years later. The car has not melted. But I do agree with what an earlier poster said about hoping Kia will note this issue for improvement in its future models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on the actual current flowing through the switch contacts, a voltage drop of 0.03 volts could generate enough heat to make the key and switch hot.

For example, say there really was a current flow of 25 amps or more (I think that is unlikely but some accessory/equipment combinations MIGHT draw that kind of current), the power dissipated across a 0.03 volt drop would be 0.75 watts. OK, not a lot. Until you consider that the 3/4 watt is being dissipated in a small area for an extended period of time. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to touch a hot resistor while trouble shooting electronic gear, you can appreciate what 3/4 of a watt can do. Especially when it is occurring in a small device like a resistor.

It doesn't take a lot of power to make something small hot. That's one reason relays are used to control higher current loads - So that the ignition switch doesn't have to deal with them.

If my switch was getting as hot as you describe, I would be concerned. Not necessarily panicking but concerned enough to have it checked out. Heat is not a friend to switches and other electrical components. Heat is the primary cause of device failure. Proper design costs more but when things are designed well and the components are chosen conservatively, the equipment can last virtually forever. One way to do that is by making sure heat is controlled and minimized.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Angela Sampson, Birmingham, AL. I purchased a used 2006 Kia Sedona from Drive Time over a year ago and noticed by accident for the first time today, May 11, 2015, when my key burned my hand, that the ignition itself was very hot. So I started looking around the car to see if anything was wrong. I plan to have the car full serviced to take a 10 hour trip, stopping to rest but don't want to be without a vehicle if something happens. I considered renting a car but thougth it best to put that money into my own car and just drive with caution:)

Does anyone out there know why the ignition get so hot and if this is a major concern like the car catching fire if goes unfixed??? I really don't want to be charge an arm and a leg at my Kia Service Center if its no big deal!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
19 Participants
jetech00001
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing