Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '99 Kia Sportage 2 door 4x4 on monday. I didn't take the time to get it checked out and look over the service history. But I got a chance today because I had to take it back into the dealership (wednesday) to have my CEL checked. The service report said that it wouldn't start when the dealer bought it. It ended up being a corroded starting wire. So now I'm getting the next error. :haha:

I put about 80 miles on it last night and it came on. I was noticing the engine being sluggish at high speeds. And it was doing that reving by itself thing when I was coming to a stop from higher speeds. It would rev from 2000rpms to 3000rpms and then back down. It is also consuming gas like me eating at a buffet.

Anyways, when they checked the CEL, I think it was the P0101 code. I can't remember just know, but it was the MAF (Mass Air Flow) and the TPS sensor was stuck at .7 volts. So, now I have to wait for the TPS sensor to come in. They had to order it. You would think they would have a bunch on hand since it sounds like a regular problem. Oh well, maybe they just ran out. hehe

Is there anything else I should be watching and listening for? Where's a good site for upgrades? I was thinking about getting that silly tornado fuel saver. Has anyone tried it? Does it make a difference?

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
Hi there
Get the electrical connectors checked out on MAF TPS @ the idle
control sensor as they build up a residue on the contacts this
gives the ECU false information and you get the intermitten
revs,if you scroll through the pages on this forum you find a
page refering to this, i had this problem on my 2001 sportage.
You can clean the contacts off and re-crimp them, or do as i
did and fit new connectors, but it will return eventually,it is
a problem on all sportages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, Bren here. I have a 01 KIA that I've had a whooping 2, 2 an a half months. Everything that could go wrong, DID. I've replaced small things, as well as major parts. Come to find out, my problem was electrical. Bad ground they said. The last 2 or 2an a half months, I've spent in the excess of $1000.00 Tough for the regular paycheck. But I learnt real quick, get the wiring checked and don't MESS with those little engines. They screw-up real easy. Do everything by the book. Your not dealing with a 57 chevy that almost any REDNECK can rig. (I can politically say that because I am a REDNECK. HA-HA). Wish you luck, Bren

1 - 3 of 3 Posts