Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2012 Kia Sorento, 88,000 miles, recently threw a knock sensor code while i was driving on the highway. It went into limp home mode and I was slowly able to get it off the highway. I had it towed to my local kia dealer and they tell me my entire engine needs replaced, they say it will be covered by a warranty due to the knock sensor recall. They've also provided me a loaner car until the work is done on mine.

My question is, for anyone that had this work done in the past is it worth keeping the car after the work is done or should I expect the same issue/other problems to arise? I still owe $5,000 (which is more than the car is valued at), but i don't want to be stuck with a car that will constantly break down.

Any advice would be welcome!

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,515 Posts
If you are not out a large amount of money and KIA is doing the work under warranty then I would keep the car. They will probably give a time/mileage warranty on the engine/work.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,399 Posts
Yes, keep it. But, make sure to keep up on all maintenance. Use good quality synthetic oil!

Reactions: nstoolman1

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX V6 3.5L AWD 190K targeting 500K
4 Posts
88,000 miles is nothing. I saw a lady whose Kia Sorento 2011 had 379,000 miles the other day. Mine has 180,000. Keep it till 388,000 then ask if you should keep it further.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,399 Posts
379k! Wow! She must drive like a little ole lady! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts