Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima LX, 2017 Sorento LX
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K&N recently added an intake for the North American 2016-2018 Optima LX, EX, and S models with the 2.4L engine.
Part number is 69-5321TS and runs around $315.00

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-5321TS

I have one on order through Autozone. Had to work with them as it is so new that Autozone did not yet list it in their inventory.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the K&N Intake today! Thanks to Autozone on Tyndall Parkway in Parker Florida - Price was less then $270 w/tax!!!!

Took about an hour to install it (I've installed several K&N intakes already).

My only complaint was that the small hose clamp provided wasn't mentioned in the instructions (it is "J" in the parts inventory) but you find out quick that it is needed to secure the valve cover PCV hose to the new hose AND it is too small. I had to scrounge up a slightly larger clamp. I also cut 1 3/4" off the new hose (the shorter of the two new hoses - "H" in the parts inventory) and this made everything fit nicely. Did not have to alter the original hoses to make it look clean. that way if or when I reinstall the original air filter box it will all go back together easy...

I also used the remaining piece of edge trim ("U" in the parts inventory) and installed it on the heat shield below where the fresh intake air duct inserts in the heat shield to keep it from making banging noises.

I like that K&N makes their intake kits use the factory air intake ducts...so it doesn't look like something is missing without it...

Pictures attached. 2017 Kia Optima LX 2.4L

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Installation Tips

:nerd:Installation Tips:

K&N's installation instructions don't mention a 4MM Allen Wrench under "tools Needed"- for the two bolts ("K") that hold the Adapter ("V") to the heat shield. You need one.>:D

After installation paint the top bolt ("K") semi-flat black so it doesn't stand out. :trophy:

I prefer to use an 8MM socket to tighten the Duct clamps instead of using a flat screwdriver - just cleaner and easier to control with one hand on the clamp and one on the extension...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound is awesome! It is quiet until you push the "loud pedal". At idle or cruise no noise. The more "loud pedal" you use the louder the sound. Certainly "sounds" faster...but my butt-meter isn't capable of registering an increase of 5 HP as K&N claims :D...the car is peppy enough for me.
The sound is more of a "GROWL"...because of the intake manifold design...not a "WAAAAAAA" like an old 4-barrel used to make (lol).

·
Registered
2019 Optima LX
3 Posts
thanks for the great write up & pics, have you noticed any change in MPG's + or -?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the great write up & pics, have you noticed any change in MPG's + or -?
I never purposely gauged any MPG change - I've always liked the MPG of my Optima.
Mixed driving usually nets me @28-29 MPG which is about 3 MPG better then my '17 Sorento (@25-26 MPG).
I'm sure the MPG suffers a bit around stoplights...because I tend to use a little more throttle to hear the intake...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts