Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Sorrento two months ago, the dealer had mentioned that some people where getting much better gas mileage with a K&N installed. As it was a dealer part that they would install and not effect warrenty I had them put one in, until the engine finishes breaking in I have'nt bothered much to track the mileage, has anyone else have one in and what are u getting, dealer says he's been getting reports of 19 to 20 in the city I'm kindof having a hard time believing that, but we'll see

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by monza64@Feb 25 2005, 07:21 AM
When I bought my Sorrento two months ago, the dealer had mentioned that some people where getting much better gas mileage with a K&N installed. As it was a dealer part that they would install and not effect warrenty I had them put one in, until the engine finishes breaking in I have'nt bothered much to track the mileage, has anyone else have one in and what are u getting, dealer says he's been getting reports of 19 to 20 in the city I'm kindof having a hard time believing that, but we'll see
Easily 20 mpg imperial around town, 30 mpg approx on motorway with sensible driving and a runin engine (diesel)

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I get 16 mpg mixed driving without a K&N Filter. It might be possible to get 20 mpg. Plus it all depends on how people drive.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Originally posted by ZZippper@Feb 27 2005, 11:39 AM
Uhhh... What exactly is an K&N?
K&N air filters are high air flow filters. You can get better gas milage with them and increase hosepower and acceleration. They are washable and reusable too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll let you know how the K&N works out. I just ordered mine from Pep Boys. They sell it for $46.00, but they had a $10 off coupon in our local newspaper this weekend. They are expecting it in in 3-5 business days, so I'll install it the 1st Saturday after it comes in.

A lot of times, the filter is not the real source of restriction. It's the outflow tube from the airbox. But I'm betting on at least some improvement. Plus the K&N is washable, so it should be good for 100,000 miles. I've had a K&N cone style filter on my other car ('91 Nissan 300ZX twinturbo) and at almost 50,000 miles on the filter it looks nearly brand new after a good washing and re-oiling.

Also, I haven't looked for it under the hood yet. Does anyone know if the engine cover has to come off to get at the airbox?

I have been getting about 17-18 mpg combined city/freeway. My wife has been driving my car this past week, and her driving is all freeway and she is getting about 1-2 mpg better than I normally do.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
You can leave the engine cover on to get to the airbox. It is located right behind the passenger side headlight. Trust me you cant miss it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a K&N filter in for about two months and the jury is still out. On my one long trip, it appears to have given about 2 extra miles per gallon. I'll know more when I make the return trip later in March. Around town, it doesn't appear to have made much positive difference in gas mileage, however, I do feel I have a quicker throttle response, so the urge to take off quicker may be cancelling out the minor increase in gas mileage in and around town. You need to know that I came from driving a built Mustang with a lot (470 rwhp) of hp, gas mileage wasn't an issue it was so bad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered my K&N 33-2271 Air Filter online at www.ajusa.com.
Total price was $38.35 delivered. (free shipping,no tax) They also have the K&N HP-1004 oil filter for $8.97. (for anyone interested) :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there guys, I still have a nice 6x9 cone from my cherokee, I might be able to get a nice cold intake to be in it too for my Sorento (EX2004 Diesel).

But before doing so I have no experience whatsoever with experimenting a cone filter with a diesel. Any reviews so far and is it safe ?

Another thing, whats the increase in mpg's on the Sorento(diesel,cause I couldnt afford the petrol one)with a DROP IN filter?(I hope you guys are talking about drop in filters) Murph-Wizz could you help me out here ? Or anyone who knows ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll be driving from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur and back over the next week. Should give a good indication of fuel usage.

Currently no idea as most of my driving is below 5 mph!!!!

Will let you know what gas mileage I get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed a K&N air filter last week. It's too soon to judge the fuel economy - but I do feel that my Sorento is more responsive than it was before. The difference is subtle - but there nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts