Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
Wonder if anybody has ever tried K&N (brand) air filter ( K&N part No. 33-2201) on 2005 Kia Spectra 2.0. The original Kia air filter is made of compressed paper, difficult for air to pass through, and needs to be replaced on regugar time basis, while the K&N air filte is made of cotton and aluminium mesh, can be cleaned and reusable, and said to be taking much more air thus creating more throttle and power, and saving fuel by 10%.
Everybody tried that ? Appreciate it if you could share your experience.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
34 Posts
You should either put a cold air intake, which i just put on mine and rwhich really helped or go with the K&N filter. KFXperformance.com has a kit for $179 which I used and is really nice. It will probably be about $55 for the K&N drop in. You could also go with a Short ram airtake with a K&N Cone filter also.

Best is CAI, then Short Ram, then K&N drop in. There is a lot of tehcnical discussion about this on StreetKiaz.com if you don't see it here. Hope this short reply helps.

SISU^!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just added a Carbon Cold Air Intake to my Cerato. Sinificant increase in power. Was considering K&N but the open port option is not that much more. And considering the intake on the stock is sucking hot air, decided to change in. Plus the engine sound much nicer now with the voomm...... sound. ke ke

·
Registered
3 Posts
What did the CAI do for your gas mileage? I'm all for increasing the horsepower as long as the mileage doesn't suffer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a CAI/K&N set up on my '01 Elantra (same basic engine as on current Spectra). I wouldn't do it again on my new Spectra. I don't know if it produced higher peak HP. I've never dyno compared before and after. But my own butt dyno tells me the throttle response has become a lot better. The tach needle just races to the red line so much quicker when pedal was pushed to the metal. I raced every Civics and Corollas I met at stop lights and blew them away most of times (except the ones with NOx or T/C). But then, there have been a few problems and hassles because of this mod. I'll just leave my '05 Spectra virgin for now....

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I just installed a K&N drop in filter and a Tornado in my 05 Spectra SX. Its only been in about a week. Havent really noticed any gain in power. What Im looking for is better gas mileage with it. I will eventually put a cai in it someday though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Was it Popular Mechanic or some other mzn did testing sometime ago on several cars with Tornado and the result was - as expected. Performance/economy gain was either zero or negative on some cars because Tornado actually restricts the incoming velocity of the intake air.
Let us know your result...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Copied from another thread:

The 2005 September issue of Popular Mechanics has a whole article about these things. Not the turbonator specifically, but they did have the tornado and a couple others. None of them did a **** thing except to REDUCE hp and mileage in some cases. The one they bought off Ebay they didn't even install because they were afraid pieces of it would get sucked into the engine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just read that article in the September issue of Popular Mechanics. Not only did NONE of them improve the fuel mileage but some actually reduce HP and Fuel mileage by as much as 20%. One device, the electronic ionizer caused an engine fire....and they said that a couple of others could cause engine damage.

They also made the point that modern vehicles are very efficient at burning 99% of the gas that we put in them. None of these devices are going to improve on that.

Don

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's exactly my point - those gadgets won't do much at all. If you think you are gaining anything at all, in often cases, it's all in your head (like the intake/exhaust sound). If you actually gained something, then you are risking something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts