Kia Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
If the values you indicated for your wires resistance are kΩ then they are just correct, as they are the resistance values that you read on genuine brand new KIA Sportage spark plug wires. So, if they do not show any sign of insulation deterioration then they are good.

Anyway if they were bad they alone would not be a cause of no start, because Sportage engine can start with only two cylinders; I know that because once I forgot to reconnect one of the coils connector and my Sportage started and was also able to go around, not fast though.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Now, if your engine has got good sparks, good compression and good timing it should start with starter fluid. If it does not start with starter fluid then one of the above factors were not checked correctly or the only other possibilities I can immagine are that some valves do not open, because of faulty lifters, but this seems to me a little unlikely, or the other possibility is that the sparks do not occur at the correct moment.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,932 Posts
Now, if your engine has got good sparks, good compression and good timing it should start with starter fluid. If it does not start with starter fluid then one of the above factors were not checked correctly or the only other possibilities I can immagine are that some valves do not open, because of faulty lifters, but this seems to me a little unlikely, or the other possibility is that the sparks do not occur at the correct moment.
My guess is the valve timing is incorrect - timing belt is off the marks.

·
Registered
97 sportage 06 forester XT
316 Posts
Seems like the no start began after running the gas tank dry. Was the tank full of sediment after sitting for a year? maybe air in the line? like gelf said tho should crank on starter fluid. Are you clearing the ecu memory by disconnecting the negative battery terminal? One time i was chasing a p208 code and would repeatedly disconnect the negative terminal, when doing so i failed to complete the crank and it would not start no matter what. Ended up having to take the cable off again to erase the faulty data from the incomplete crank. Oh another thing i changed out the main and fuel relays and one of the replacements looked different than the stock ones still fit still same part number but when i put the new ones in, no run, so i just put one of the old ones back started right up. I seem to recall a thread about testing the relays with a multimeter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Yeah nothing with starter fluid... Maybe I should try again though with the new ecm in it
.. May have to go and get some more. Also I have replaced the relays with identical ones schematic wise. Also yes I disconnect the battery completely every time because the ignition won't turn off otherwise.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts