Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No immobiliser from what I can tell based on a previous description of one that I heard.
It does turn over nicely and freely
I dont know if I'm getting fuel but the lines and filter are clear and it does build pressure so I would imagine that not to be a problem but cant be sure.
No smell of fuel no. While cranking and spraying starter fluid directly into throttle body there is no change whatsoever of it wanting to run. Also while cranking if you give it gas it does change tone a tiny bit but that might just be the 2 flaps opening at the throttle body and it also doesnt help at all with it wanting to start running.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
You have to be careful about the two primary coil wires..They both will have 12v on them "if" the the wires are plugged into the coil...as the 12v will pass through the coil to the other wire.. That's why I said "check the wires with them disconnected from the coil".. If you grounded the actual 12v being fed to the coil you will probably blow the fuse protecting that 12v feed and may end up with no 12v power at all on both wires...You will then have to find the blown fuse and replace it.
Look at the attached 3 scans to get an idea of what I'm trying to show you...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XWTFpcTdZaGtYdkE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XT2tCTXgtTFdQMGc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57Xc0ttTGpnRmlyTWs/edit?usp=sharing
I hope this gives you some idea of what I'm trying to teach you..
Sorry about them being upside down...Just print them.
Dave

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
No immobiliser from what I can tell based on a previous description of one that I heard.
It does turn over nicely and freely
I dont know if I'm getting fuel but the lines and filter are clear and it does build pressure so I would imagine that not to be a problem but cant be sure.
No smell of fuel no. While cranking and spraying starter fluid directly into throttle body there is no change whatsoever of it wanting to run. Also while cranking if you give it gas it does change tone a tiny bit but that might just be the 2 flaps opening at the throttle body and it also doesnt help at all with it wanting to start running.
Ok, crank the engine, remove the hose from the fuel filter to the intake. crank and place the hose into a bottle and wait for fuel.

you wont get it to start with the starter fluID as there is no spark.

I reckon your problem lays in the crank angle sensor, and if there is a signal from the CAS, then check your connections at your computer box, there might be a loose wire or connection.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
195 Posts
2000 Kia Sportage 4x4 manual will not start. Have gotten the coils checked out and they are working, have replaced crankshaft position sensor, have checked and readjusted the timing(was off a tooth or 2ish), have cleaned out the fuel filter, have disconnected the fuel lines at the fuel pump and there was pressure, have checked fuses, and have checked compression and all where at or above 150.

After all this it still will not start and if I get someone to crank it and spray starter fluid or stuff of the like it doesnt make a single difference whatsoever so Im thinking its not getting power to the coils?

What is the history on the vehicle. Have you had it long? Was it running and then just quit? Did you have any maintenance done prior to the problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So Dave I did your best to follow your thorough instructions and thank you so much for them btw and here is what I got back as results.

In the attached pics you'll see what I did. the blue wire is 12v when they are not connected to the coil. I tried 2 different spark plugs and I tried the spark plug grounded to 2 different places and confirmed a good ground with the meter and connected the ground to the coil on either side and used a spark plug wire going from the coil to connect the spark plug to and then also connected the spark plug directly to the boot under the coil and checked both coils and got the same results.

I take the white wire in the pics as my ground and I'd tap it rapidly against the manifold or somewhere it would ground and I never got a spark at the plug but every time I would ground(tap it) it would spark where I tapped the white wire.

Thats all I got...

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Macaveli is the crankshaft angle sensor the same as the crank shaft position sensor? Also I should be getting 12v to that sensor too where it plugs in right?

History on the vehicle.

I bought it a few weeks ago for the engine. I originally wanted to put the engine in my 1987 Mazda b2200 cause it blew a hole through the block from a rod knock and I wanted the FE3 cause it bolts right up the the Mazda tranny and all. Then the Kia ended up being in such good shape that it made more sense to fix it and drive it than the Mazda so that what I'm trying to do here, use it for my work truck cause I'm a heavy equipment operator in the oil field and roads get rough and it'd be perfect for there.

I bought it for $260 not running, no battery and the ecm disconnected. We brought a battery and some fuel treatment stuff, filled it in connected the ecm,tried starting and nothing, then hooked it up to a truck put in 2nd, let clutch out and walla it started right up,ran awesomely and drove it home about 15 miles. Ran it out of gas as we where pretty much getting on the driveway and it hasnt started since long enough to run more than 10 seconds or so and wont even do that now.

It was previous owner's daughters car and had been sitting for a year or so cause they had drove it to the mechanic for something and she ended up never getting it fixed and so they brought it home and had it sitting. He said he didnt know what the issue had been but that it had drove to the mechanic. I also found a receipt in the glove box for a new tranny, clutch etc that had been done about 2 years ago or so.

Thats about all I know, I think he said it hadnt been a big issue what was wrong with it but dont mark my words. I think what happened is their daughter moved out or something and they didnt want to mess with it more.

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Ok ..I think we are getting somewhere...
The spark on the primary is normal and OK...
The secondary (high voltage winding) looks to be where you have some problems.
The ignition on your car is what is called a "wasted spark" system that each coil fires TWO plugs...you only have ONE attached ...
You essentially have an "open circuit" because you have an infinite "gap" where a plug should be and the spark can't "jump" this gap and you then have no spark...
Check this out...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57Xd2ZSeThQQzZfZUU/edit?usp=sharing
Hope this makes sense....
All we are doing here is trying to confirm that the coil and HV is OK if you get spark at the plug(s) we need to move on to the next item(s) to check..
We'll keep at it UNTIL we get you going and you KNOW what you are doing under the hood... We all start at ZERO when we are learning something new...
SO...don't worry about it... You gain knowledge you can use later in life...
Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay I'll go out and do that right away. So I need to put a spark plug on the coil plug and also on the the spark plug wire that goes from that coil correct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay I did it that way with a spark plug connected directly on the coil plug and then also on the wire going from the coil. I still got spark every time I touched the white wire to ground it but this time I also got like the teeniest tinniest amount of spark from the spark plug connected directly to the coil but none that I could see of from the one on the wire. The spark from the white ground wire was probably a good ten times stronger than that of the plug, the plugs was minuscule but it was visibly there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Alright now we tested the other coil and plug wire also and we got the same tiny sparks off of both the wire and coil plugs but it was hard getting them to ground to get any spark so that may be the reason I didnt see any at the previous wire and just at the one connected directly to the coil.

Is the spark suppose to be real strong or could it be plugs or is everything fine?

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
You are drawing a lot more current through the primary of this "transformer" (that's what the spark plug coil is) and the primary circuit was made for a very short time that the "non-blue" wire is shorted/connected to ground...Remember 2000 or so pulses per second... You do have two coils...try the second and compare the results...If you look at the last "drawn" picture imagine a leak of voltage inside the secondary coil to the primary ground wire...that would cause a weak spark on one of the two plugs... The spark on the plug is not a big nasty one anyway...it's only used to provide the spark to ignite the air/fuel mixture. and in daylight it may look kinda sick.

It looks like the coils are OK and that the ECM is not outputting any spark (switching off and on the wire going to ground inside the ECM).

The ECM (engine control module) is a microcomputer that runs a "program".
This program checks to make sure everything is in "time" and that external sensors are supplying the needed pulses for it (the ECM) to make the correct timing pulse...The cam and the crank sensors MUST be outputting pulses and they MUST be in correct sync with each other... If they are off by too much the ECM won't fire the coils... Lots of things going on that must be correct for the computer to make it's next move... So if there are no pulses or they are out of sync from the cam or crank sensors NO spark because the ECM won't allow it...
All the things you NEVER wanted to know about your car :).
Electronics can be wonderful or they can be a real pain in the A$s.
Dave...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The results were the same on the second coil as well. So what do I test now? voltage going to the crank and cam sensors?

Thank you so much for all the help so far and your right about electronics, and right now I'm really looking forward to experiencing them when they work good!

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Sounds like they are OK...
Is there a possibility that the coil wire primary plugs are reversed? just a thought.
That would put everything out of sync... You would get spark but at the wrong time...
If you have a "pull a part" junk/salvage yard you might want to get both the cam and crank sensors and exchange them for yours...I have seen few bad ECMs here on the forums BUT you could have a bad one... See if they will allow you to try one of theirs with a deposit.
The fuel injectors should be OK as the engine would have started with starting fluid if the injectors were not receiving their pulses...
It still sounds like a timing problem......
As I said before I have a cell that has unlimited long distance and thousands of minutes...If you pm me (left click on DavesSpectra and click pm) with your cell/land line I'll call you...
Dave

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Pm sent.

I already put a new crank position sensor on it so it shouldnt be that... Also Ive already called around to the junk yards here and they dont have anything like my car :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
kiatechinfo.com didnt show which side to plug in the wires so I did a search on here and found this thread http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/83969-spark-plug-replacement-gone-wrong-what.html

his blue one is on the left which would mean the 12v goes to the left so I hooked both the coils up like that and played with the ecm grounds but it still wont start, sure does crank strong though... Im going to ask my father inlaw for a pull so I can see if it'll pull start..

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
He's in the Dallas Texas area....
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Try these...
2000 Engine Computer Kia Sportage 26357 $50 Ennis Auto Recyclers, Inc. USA-TX(Ennis) Request_Quote 1-800-747-5343

And this...
Engine Computer
Kia Sportage KO8B Ele Cont Unit (ECU), (DOHC, below dash, A 3667 $35 A-1 Rylie Auto Parts USA-TX(Dallas) Request_Quote 1-888-925-0101

You also need to be careful of the actual date of manufacture...
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (DOHC, behind RH dash under carpet), from 5/13/99
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (DOHC, behind RH dash under carpet), thru 5/12/99
So ask...
Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My number is from there but I live in West Texas, Knott Texas to be exact. I've checked Big Spring and Midland Tx.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts