Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am just in the begining stages of this whole process. I am VERY confussed! Many conflicting opinions and reviews. Seems like a lot of problems with clocks never working... passenger side airbag lights staying on and poor mileage, Now I am hearing of really lousy rides in some cases. I am currently driving a subaru Forrester '00. I was looking at the value of this vehicle but am wondering if it's really worth it!!? What do you guys think? Also I was told of some great cash backs and incentives. I asked my particular dealer in NJ and he knew of NONE, mmmm seems odd to me. My other choices were of course the Ford ESCAPE, and Mercury Mariner. Would love some help. No children yet, just got married last February. Don't need to tow anything BUT we do do some driving for work and Jersey has been having some pretty lousy winters as of late. Was hoping to go with a great value but a little larger SUV. Also GAS is pretty expensive, as everyone knows so this mpg is very concerning, is that really lousy as many of these web sites say for an SUV? H* E*L* P* B)

Lisa

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have a 04 Sorento LX. I have had it a little over a year now. It has 15,600 miles on it and have had no major issues with it. About the clocks....a bad batch of clocks were made and I do believe they have solved that problem. Lately I have been getting about 18mpg (mixed driving). It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt change a thing. I would buy another one. It is like a buldozer in the snow. I took mine through some deep snow this past winter.
Hope this helps out
Good luck :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
:(
Choose one of the other vehicles at you peril !!! You dont get any money off because they dont need to ... the value -money is smack on. You could buy a Merc or Bmw & still end up with the vehicle being in / out of the garage with problems. You get 'Friday' afternoon cars in every make & model !!!!!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a 2WD Sorento EX for the last 13 months or so. My wife is the primary driver, and says it is the best car she has ever had - the build quality is excellent. We can find nothing to complain about or have fixed for warranty work. I think the (leather) seats are a bit too firm, but that may just by my fat a**.

Mileage has been fair. I would guess about 20 on the highway and about 15 in town.

by FAR, the most car for the money out there.

Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got mine last friday (5/27), I had the same issues and even worse, since in my country Kia's reputation is just shifting.

My Dad drives an Extrail and let me tell you, there is no comparison at all, confort, interior looks, mine is a diesel shiftronic, I just love it. Anyway you will always have this forum for your inquiries.

Anyway, most of those problems were somehow solved by the dealer or a hint by the forum.

I'm now happy to drive my Sorento CRDi!!! on really bad rodes!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi !
i'm from montreal canada ,so we've got snow and no problems at all,mine is a ex 2003 4 wd ,and no problem with the clock etc, my oncle had a forester and he change it for a lx 2004 and he said that he should do it before (he love is sorento)about me i did ask to save me the first new version of 2007, that will be my next one. so make up your mind with your choice . bye take care

·
Registered
26 Posts
The key to a happy relationship with your vehicle is the dealer. Look for one that has the best reputation and not necessarily the best price. We are fortunate to have such a dealer in our area and they have bent over backwards everytime there has been in issue (very few) with the Kia. The parts and service manager respond the same day to my email requests. The Kia itself is top notch for fit and quality in appearance. Its gas mileage is not the greatest, but look at the bottom side of the SUV and it is built like a Hummer. Kia has tried to give a smooth ride to a tank like vehicle and was about 75% sucessful. It does not ride as well as the 99 Dodge Caravan we owned but it is comfortable and makes a long drive a pleasure. As for the clock and the air bag light, Kia has the solution and corrections are being made. Our clock was bad and as soon as a shipment arrived the dealer popped one in. The air bag light requires the computer to be flashed and they brought a tech in from Chicago to check the light and flash the computer. The paint on our Kia is exceptional and I have only found one flaw in the entire paint work, and it is minor. But the big plus, for the wife, is it resembles the Lexus RX, and she gleams when people think she is driving the more expensive alternative. We opted with the EX model, and found few incentatives at the time, but the dealer threw in a rear spoiler, and all weather mats. I have added vent shades to the doors which improve prove useful in rainy weather. Sorry for the long post, but I tried to cover the items that you may find useful. I believe you will like the Kia more than the Subaru, my niece had a Subaru 4x4 wagon and she could not wait to trade it off, but she chose a Trailblazer instead, she wanted a USA built vehicle.

Best of luck,

Kwalkman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Some of you have posted and said that the Sorento drives well in the snow. I am just wondering which tyres you have. I have the Hankook RA07 tyres on my Sorento part-time 4WD. Any opinions on using these OE tyres on snow?

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have the Michelin All Terrain tires on mine. They are great. This year though I am not running mine in the snow. I have a set of snow tires and just purchased four steel wheels so my alloy wheels wont have to be put in the salt and slush durning the winter. I would think the ones you have should be good too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Buy one. The other cars are different in that they are often not true off roaders, the Sorento has conventional off road construction (hence the firmer ride) and it goes off road much better than the Merc etc equivalents if that's important to you.

Cost, the options are more expensive. In the UK, the Merc, Volvo, VW, Lexus equivalents are at least double the cost to buy and are unlikely to give any significantly better mileage (and, believe me, petrol and diesel is MUCH more expensive in the UK than the US). I've just done 300 miles of mixed (mainly motorway) and reckon that I've returned about 30 MPG overall - so much depends on your driving style at the end of the day.

Build quality is excellent, although some of the fittings look slightly old eg the cabin roof LED readouts, but the ride quality is not bad. Mine was harsh for the first 1500 miles, then it softened and it is very similar to a saloon standard now.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
I bought my sorento 2 weeks ago and like it alot ,it rides firm but also smooth and I got a 2500 rebate at my dealer in ct he also worked with me to get the payment that I wanted over all I VERRY HAPPY .

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
And there you have it...Every post from actual owners that are very happy with their Sorento. Including myself.

***These people are not actors. They are actual owners who willingly gave their time to participate in this commercial.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you could not do better. Mine is a jan 2005 ex 3.5 and just love it. 10000 miles on the clock and absolutly not one problem. This car is just too good to be true. Its build quality is outstanding. You could not ask for more.

Jonathan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't forget J D Powers 2005 either - did Top Gear cover J D Powers this year? They usually do but I don't remember seeing it. Still, the Sorento isn't Ferrari Red and Lamborghini fast is it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have had our Kia for almost 2 weeks. the clcok didn't reset and it took a call to Kia customer service to have one ordered (to be installed in a few days).

The battery went flat after three days after a a 24 hour period of not having been started. I had been testing the clock about once every two hours which meant turning on the ignitiion (with parking bnake on - no lights), and checking and sometimes resetting the clock. The dealer said that it was either bad battery or I had left some lights on (battery saver should prevent lights on with key off, the dome light draws so little that it should not drain the battery, I had the car outside my office window and saw no lights). Anyway I had slow charged the battery for most of the first Saturday, no further problem, mechainic neighbour checked battery no problem after my charging, and found it good. My conclusion that either the battery was ill-prepared at the deatle's or the car had sat idly in the lot only having been run here and there - poor prepatration before my getting it.

Now (today) I get an intermittent problem with the passenger air bag off light, my wife is flattered because she is as light as a feather :) . when I try it, the light turns off most of the time, so it may have been the way she was sitting, or?????

In all other respects, I love the car, I knew the mileage wouln't be great and it is quite bouncy on badly broken roads, but excellently comfortable smooth and quiet on most of the highways I usually ride on. The steering is a littlle light, at least on the LX, but it is not badly so. I have a manual and it shifts beautfully, and makes pleasan and subdued truck-type noises

I hope the local dealer will work out reasonably wellfor me, I don't have much choice sine I live in the country and he is the clsosest at 40 miles - 60 kms from my house.

Right now I feel a bit tentative about the Kia after having traded a super reliable CRV with about 200,000 miles (285,000 km). I am hoping that the Sorento will stay reliable after these early and common problems. I have no regrets yet, but would advise that you make sure that you have a reliable dealer near you - he SHOULD be willing and able to help if there are any problems, otherwise the long warranty is meaningless.

Best of luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
HI,
I purchased a 2005 EX, March 17 of this year and now have 8000 KLM on it.

Had a clock problem when it was first delivered, which was replaced within three weeks. No other problems.

Love to drive this great vehicle and it is a real bargin for its price.

I am averaging 22 mi per gallon Canadien and I did get 26 mi per gallon on a long haul freeway drive, no aircondition or open windows and a cruising speed of 110 KLM.

Maybe you can find a vehicle with better gas consumption but I doubt if you will find one with such value for the buck.

What ever your decision, good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
We went through the same thing on the hunt for the best SUV in our price range and we tried EVERYTHING...from the MDX to the RAV4 and without a doubt hands down the bang for the buck was the Sorento. Couldn't beat it! ride, comfort, build, power...etc... anyway I don't work for KIA and don't need this for commission but we had ours for almost a year and no problem other than the minor tweaks that you get with every new vehicle (I found personally that your in the garage the first year and a half with a new vehicle and the rest of the time spent enjoying it.) it's like buying a computer if you don't have any problems the first 6 months your in the clear....So buy what you feel is the right choice for you and you only...good luck and enjoy your purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
just a couple additions to my earlier comments.

First the problem with the passenger-airbag-off light staying on is probalbly my wife's ,and it is not that she is as light as a feather, slim and attractive though she is. It has to do with how she sat, she had a lot of bags in front of her seat whch in all likelihood dd not allow her to distribute her wieght properly to turn the light off and the airbag on. See the great owner's manual pages 3-50 to 3-3-52.

Secondly, I did not stress enough how confortably the car rides, and how queit it is is and how perfectly the seats will work for most people and how good a deal the Sornto is compared to the competition. Currently they are being discounted quite heavily and ths may be a good time to buy - although I read one review which said that the 2006 will have a slightly larger motor, independent rear suspension, and be a bit bigger. It may or may not be a better car than the current on, but it will likely be more expensive, and initially, will probably have some bugs.

Based on my personal experience, I would continue to advise to make sure you have a reliable dealer with a good serive department in your regaion.

In summary, I would buy the car again, just make sure that you will be able to get support if you need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I bought our Sorento one year ago. She is the main driver, but we both love the vehicle. I can truthfully say that up to this point it is one of the best vehicles we have ever owned. It rides and drives great. Great body styling and excellent value.

We traded a 2 year old Frod Escape for the Kia. The Escape is the WORST vehicle that we have ever owned. Drove like a tank, rode like a wagon and the doors sounded like they were made from recycled beer cans when you would shut them.

Would I buy a Sorento again? In a heartbeat!

Would I buy an Escape again? Not no, but HELL NO!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts