Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in a 2001 Elantra GLS and got a 05 Spectra.
Here is my view of Spectra vs Elantra

1. Engine peak power is same but low/mid range feels stronger.
2. A/T works better than expected - not too often gear hunting.
3. Seats as hard as Elan.
4. Hood prop is a shorty one on the side.
5. 4-wheel disc brakes! Wow! On a $12,000 car?!!!
6. Fog-lamps! On a $12,000 car?!
7. Too much body roll.
8. Got about 30 mpg on the first tank. Now on the 2nd tank gas...

I'm getting 17" wheels with low profile tires soon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello I am new to the forum and i just bought a KIA Spectra5 2005 and i have ony 1200 miles on it. I was thinking about putting 18x7.5 rims on it and i was wondering if they would fit properly, in reference to fender well scrubbing and the suspension travel. Also i can not find a Dash kit to install a new head unit. If any one knows where i can get a new computer chip that would be nice as well...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other day I was reading a mzn article about testing several different size wheels on Civic (tested 15", 16", 17" & 18") and the 17" resulted the best lap time. What size tire are you planning to fit on 18" rim? And how much would it cost?

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
chaz........glad to hear ya like your Spectra. I have a 05 Spectra SX. What a great car. A blast to drive :thumbsup:

WhiteWidow........as for the dash kit check this link out and read this thread..... Click Here!!!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
I priced tyres and rims the best priced deals are the 17 inch, there is only a small price diference with the rims but the tyres are more expensive when you step up to 18's.
I have a set of BSA rims a heap to select from www.bsawheels .com.au
I first got the BSA 210 in hyper black but the finish started to flake off, of course when I wanted them replaced them with the same ones they said not available so I decided to pay extra and invest in a set of chromes BSA291.

I am not sure if 235's would fit but i have a set of 215's on and they are really good they fit no probs no scrubbing or knocking even with the suspension dropped.
the rim size is 17 x 7.5
Pick the right rims they all have a different offset which will prevent scrubbing and sticking out past the wheel arch.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
[attachmentid=653][attachmentid=654]I priced tyres and rims the best priced deals are the 17 inch, there is only a small price diference with the rims but the tyres are more expensive when you step up to 18's.
I first got the BSA 210 in hyper black but the finish started to flake off, of course when I wanted them replaced them with the same ones they said not available so I decided to pay extra and invest in a set of chromes BSA291.

I am not sure if 235's would fit but i have a set of 215's on and they are really good they fit no probs no scrubbing or knocking even with the suspension dropped.
the rim size is 17 x 7.5
Pick the right rims they all have a different offset which will prevent scrubbing and sticking out past the wheel arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
Originally posted by tkitch@Aug 26 2005, 09:08 AM
[attachmentid=653][attachmentid=654]I priced tyres and rims the best priced deals are the 17 inch, there is only a small price diference with the rims but the tyres are more expensive when you step up to 18's.

the rim size is 17 x 7.5
sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks...
Well, my special order tires (Hankook) came in so I will have the new wheels put on today after work. It's special because it's cheap. I was at a KIA dealer the other day and they had a Spectra with 225/40R/18 in their showroom. 18"!!! That's bigger than my V8 Dodge truck rim! They added $2,500 just for the wheels. I've got really good deal and am paying roughly about $550 for everything inc tax/labor.
I will tell you all how performance gets affected after putting on 17" wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Motegi Wheels MR4 18x8 inch Gun Metal Offset FWD - Wheel and Tire Package
215/35/18 total cost $1,259. Free mounting and balance. I have contacted the company, and hopefully then will let me know if the MR4's 18x8 will Scrubb in turns and during the max suspension travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok well I was talking to a local Import Tuning shop called AutoDreams and they suggested a 18 in wheel with 225/40 tires. The change in the tires was due to the fact that the total diamater of the stock rim and tire is 23 1/2 in. If I use a 35 series tire like i was going to in the last post i will be down to 22 1/2" So i plan to use a 40. This should mean less change in the speedomiter maby a mile 1 to 3mph. Let me know if you all have heard anything differnt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts