Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I'm the proud new owner of a Kia Spectra5 SX. It's got almost 88,000 miles on it, and just picked it up for $7550. It seems to be entirely stock, and while I'm ready to start trying to personalize the car, I think there may be some things I ought to do first to keep it a happy car and I wanted your advice.

I have in my possession, a carfax for the vehicle. I appear to be it's 2nd owner.
Here's a quick breakdown of the carfax:

Owner 1 (Personal):
03/2008: Sold, has 20 miles on it.
04/2008: Transmission, fluid, alignment, steering, suspension checked, windows tinted.
12/2008: Steering, suspension checked. front door latch replaced, 21,000 miles
02/2009: Battery/charging/starter checked, 24,000 miles
05/2009: Body Electrical system checked, 27,000 miles
08/2009: Emissions inspection, transmission checked, 36,000 miles
09/2009: Washed, detailed
10/2009: Accident reported, airbag did not deploy.
12/2009: Maintenance inspection completed, 43,000 miles
08/2010: Rear break pads replaced and rotors resurfaced, rear brakes replaced, transmission checked, Body electrical system checked. 57,000 miles
11/2010: Oil and filter changed, 65,000 miles
06/2011: Sold at auction, 78,600 miles
06/2011 - 11/2012, in the hands of the dealership from which I bought the car, 88,000 miles

So, I don't see anything on here about the timing belt being replaced around 75,000 miles, it looks like it was sold right around that time, and has been in the hands of my dealer since, who appears to have somehow put 10,000 miles on the car over the course of a year.

So, Kia forum, what do you recommend be the fist order of business on this car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My question might have been a little vague, so I'll try to clarify.

Here's a list of stuff that I suspect will need to be changed/replaced, can you help me prioritize them?

Engine Timing Belt
Air Cleaner Filter
Fuel Tank Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Transaxle Oil
Engine Coolant
Brake, Clutch fluid

Also, I want to make this car sharp, customize it, make it mine, but I don't see much in the way of aftermarket accessories. Is there a resource for finding Kia Spectra aftermarket accessories? I'm not really looking for lighting kits, but maybe some neon green trimmed floor mats or stuff like that to give it a modern look.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
i just recently change the led on my speedo and factory radio from green to blue. very cheap and pretty easy to do and now im in the process of changing my door swicthes and temp and air control lights also. after market mufler and cold air intakes are good too to improved gas mileage and gives it that nice sound.and i painted my wheel white it looks very nice.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
My question might have been a little vague, so I'll try to clarify.

Here's a list of stuff that I suspect will need to be changed/replaced, can you help me prioritize them?

Engine Timing Belt
Air Cleaner Filter
Fuel Tank Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Transaxle Oil
Engine Coolant
Brake, Clutch fluid

Also, I want to make this car sharp, customize it, make it mine, but I don't see much in the way of aftermarket accessories. Is there a resource for finding Kia Spectra aftermarket accessories? I'm not really looking for lighting kits, but maybe some neon green trimmed floor mats or stuff like that to give it a modern look.

Thanks again

Welcome to the site. Hope your new Spectra treats you well!

Timming belt would be the first thing I would do. You do not have a externail fuel filter. It's insdie your gas tank. Yes, I would also change the trans and coolant fluids. You could wait a little while oin the brake and clutch fluid for a while. Air and gas tank filter I would also do sooner than later.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I agree with Cobra259...
The timing belt and engine coolant would be high up on my list.
I'd take a look at the disk brake pads also as my wife's Spectra had the rears worn at 45~50k. They tend to wear fast and pads are cheaper than pads and rotors. Parts are available at rockauto.com and their prices with shipping are really good.

Spark plugs are another cheap replacement item and often overlooked. Use NGK brand plugs as KIAs don't like "Special" tip...super duper...high performance ones and usually will misfire with them. Check the GAP on them even though they are "pregapped".
The ones I put into the wife's car were not gapped properly (.044"). The Champion plugs that were in the car from new were trash.

With winter coming up I'd check the cranking power of the battery. I would think it was the original 2008 one. (look for "Rocket Global" 600). My 06 battery started failing last year and was replaced and my Wife's 07 battery is cranking slower in 30 degree weather this year and will be replaced soon.

Stay back from other cars and give yourself some room in bad weather as these cars tend to get "totalled" with minor damage by the insurance companies. (that's where my 06 SPec SX came from).

These are very good cars and can serve you well.. (with proper upkeep) Some here have 300k+ miles on them and still running good.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts