Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now im tempted to put a turbo on my spectra5 just for sh!t and giggles and ofcourse the pssssst sound. i looked online and i found out that the 4 cylinder tiburan has the same motor and they sell kits for it. i was wondering if it will fit in the spectra5 engine compartment as far as the manifold is concern. the tiburan has more space under the hood than the spectra from the looks in the pictures. and if i install this turbo im not gonna push it no more than 5 psi i just wanna do it n see how the setup will comeout. custom manifolds cost an arm and a leg inline pro is trying to charge me $550.00 for a custom manifold which is the cheapeast i found. the kit on ebay with the manifold and everything came out to 800. What should i do?

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and also as far as just pushin 5psi i do not need to do anything to fuel mixture since ima going to put a fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
You may need to upgrade your exhaust to a larger size, you may need bigger injectors and a hot rod fuel pump, and finally you will definitely need something like a megasquirt controller to run your turbo. There will also be a need for dyno and tuning so you do'nt kill your engine. You just do'nt slap a turbo on and drive away.:eek:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as ecu. i research a couple of ways to do it. chip and map and ecu or do dyno. i just sold my turbo civic and it was running on a map ecu and 6psi daily it never gave me any problem. and as far as boost controller a manual boost controller is cheap. i got a couple of 440cc injectors laying around so that should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
That low amount of boost, you may not need more fuel at all, wouldnt hurt to have extra, but your stock system is far from lacking. As long as you have a way to controll and watch all your systems, 4-5psi may not be enough to warrant more fuel, or a larger exaust.

Start somewhere, get the turbos and cooler system on there and set at 2-3 psi, watch your O2 readings, and see iof anything stock is restricting or giving problems... Then mod from there, turn up the boost a little at a time, a boost controller wont do this for you, you will need a custom wastegate spring for that low amount of boost.

Here is a link to a custom manifold maker for good prices.

Turbo Manifolds

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ebay sell a external wastegate with spring loads from 6 to 9psi. i purchased one for a civic i had before.

with a fuel pressure regulator i also think it should ok to not tune the ECU. i just wanna see it done. i saw a supercharge spectraSX on youtube but never saw a turbo spectra5/cerato

1 - 6 of 6 Posts