Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 04 Kia Sedona has great low mileage 50,000 engine and great body condition before the driver side front collision. I brought for repair estimate and was told the cost to fix it is almost the value of my used van. I need your honest opinion Kia lovers/haters, Junk it or Fix it?:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I am driving an 06 KIA Spectra that was "totaled/salvaged" by an insurance company because they thought it was too expensive to repair....
Their loss... my gain...
It had 24k miles on it in January 2010 when I bought it for $2100.

I replaced the passenger fender, some steering parts, passenger door, windshield (cracked by the fender hitting it slightly), and a minor "pull" of the door frame on a body shop frame puller... I put less than $1000 in parts (used) and body shop frame labor...

I don't know the level of damage to the car or your capabilities mechanically..
Find out what your insurance company will "sell back" the car to you after they settle the "salvage" payout...

Post some pictures here or link to them on photobucket..
With it being an 04 you might want to replace the parts with "used" and leave it un-painted and drive it till the wheels fall off it...If you do the "labor and parts yourself you can really get a steal..(insurance payoff, buy it back, repair it, have it inspected by your state (usually costs $50~100), and drive it)..

If you are interested pm me and I'll show you how to deal with a "salvage title" and the "hoops" you need to jump through...Not really bad just involved.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I "see" you are in Virgina Beach, Va..
The inspection fee is $125 there plus a $10 substitute title fee..
Just about the same procedures as Ohio's Salvage inspections..

Here in Ohio they are inspected by our "Ohio State Highway Patrol" and they are just looking for "legal" parts (meaning not stolen) and you must have a bill of sale will the VIN# from the "donor" car... They don't seem to be interested in the "safety" end of the vehicle as much as WHERE you got the parts...

If you buy the parts either new "non-OEM" a "Bill of Sale" is OK... or buy from a local salvage yard the BoS with the VIN# of the "donor" car on it..
They are looking for "LARGE" parts (Fenders,Bumpers,Doors,Windshields,etc....) they can trace and not "nuts,bolt, hoses, and such".
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Sedona EX 3.5L
29 Posts
I am currently in the process of repairing my wifes Sedona which only has 68k on it. She was in a low speed (under 15 mph ) accident where she was cut off by a reckless / aggessive driver and she ended up rear ending him. Both airbags deployed and here is a list of what I am currently replacing; the entire dashboard ( passenger airbag deployed), windshield, driver side airbag, clockspring, airbag computer, bumper, both fenders, hood, grille, passenger headlight, ac condenser, ac accumulater, radiator. After acquiring a donor van ( donor van had 199999 miles on it and the owner trashed the interior), transfering the parts was a lot of work. The hardest part of the job was the dashboard transfer. My cost for the donor van and new radiator and condenser and a bunch of new small stuff and paint came out to about $2000 ( doing it myself ). A repair job of this complexity will go you about $ 7000 - 8000 minimum at a body shop.
If your van only needs fenders and hood etc, and you did not have the passenger airbag deploy ( which requires a replacement dash ) , I would say the van is definitely worth fixing as long as you did not bend the frame. The drivers side airbag is not a big deal and can be replaced in five minutes. My frame was completely untouched by the low impact accident. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts...You see value when others see "junk"..
You are also willing to put forth some "labor" to get the job done..
I'm sure your wife will love you and her car more because of your work on it.
We need more people in the USA seeing value in the things they have and not wanting things they can't afford... That was the American way...
I say bravo to you and yours...
Dave

·
Registered
2003 Sedona 2.9 CRDi, 1992 2.5 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB, 1998 Toyota Corrolla, Suzuki GSXR600
54 Posts
I agree. Why bin it when you can fix it? Just because the insurance company say it's not worth fixing doesn't mean it isn't worth doing yourself. If it is mechanically sound and the damage not too bad then repair it with salvaged or pattern parts.
What you have to consider is, how much would it cost to replace the car with one of the same condition (if one exists).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to another body shop and had it repaired, $2000 less from the first estimate. To save money, I have to replace the radiator myself. Planning to replace the hoses at the same time as the radiator. One minor, the plastic bracket at the bottom of the air filter housing broke-off and need to be replaced. It's 9 years old with 48k miles on it and maybe time to replace spark plugs. The front looks easy to do but the back is not. Looking for how to video. The front of the Sedona looks like new after the repair. Thanks for all your input.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Were you able to keep the tile "un-salvaged"?
After market`radiators are pretty cheap on ebay....
A 9 year old Sedonia should have parts available at the boneyard also...
Glad to see another KIA kept out of the scrap yard..
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts