Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I just picked up my new 2013 Rio 5 SX today. I had to wait 3 weeks as there was no stock available. So it was out at sea. ;) I was a little disappointed that I didn't get paddle shifters like other folks. I didn't check the manufacture date. However I am really enjoying it.

I had originally been looking at a Fiesta. In fact I have been researching a new car for over two years, specifically sub compacts and I talked my Fiancee into purchasing one. Then Kia did the wonderful redesign and after further research, reviews, and a test drive. It was a done deal.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hey Folks,

I just picked up my new 2013 Rio 5 SX today. I had to wait 3 weeks as there was no stock available. So it was out at sea. ;) I was a little disappointed that I didn't get paddle shifters like other folks. I didn't check the manufacture date. However I am really enjoying it.

I had originally been looking at a Fiesta. In fact I have been researching a new car for over two years, specifically sub compacts and I talked my Fiancee into purchasing one. Then Kia did the wonderful redesign and after further research, reviews, and a test drive. It was a done deal.
First, congratulations for your purchase. You shouldn't and won't be disappointed. I too had been looking for a Fiesta. May I ask you why you didn't go for the Ford? Maybe we've had the same "not this time" for Ford...

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
I was looking at Fiesta. In the end I HATED the dash and controls design layout... Imagine that, such a small thing, but I knew I would never be able to live with it....

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I was looking at Fiesta. In the end I HATED the dash and controls design layout... Imagine that, such a small thing, but I knew I would never be able to live with it....
What a coincidence. Me too! My brother-in-law owns one and I could do a thorough test drive but I couldn't stand the interior. After that, I test drove the Fiesta SEL I was about to buy with the salesman and then I hated much the interior but be honest, it the second runner up after Kia. Would have gone for an Accent but Hyundai didn't have my GLS model at the time (Spring). Have absolutely no regrets regarding the Fiesta. But I read on other forums and in reviews that the Accent has a quieter ride. What I was looking for in the first place. Let's love our Rios!

Cheers to you.

·
Registered
Rio5 SX, White/Beige leather, UVO
17 Posts
Nice buy!
I too will be receiving a white 5 SX next Friday. Build date of July, but no paddles which I find odd given Flem's response a week ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice buy!
I too will be receiving a white 5 SX next Friday. Build date of July, but no paddles which I find odd given Flem's response a week ago.
Same here, checked the build date, July 2012. No paddles. :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when I was researching subcompacts, the 2011 Rio was the current offering. From the reviews and research I narrowed it down to the Fiesta and the Fit. Top trim levels on both. For me the Fiesta won me over on style and amenities. I really liked the Ford Sync integration. I was hoping for an eventual My Ford Touch integration. Most importantly the Fiesta was less expensive. It became my top pick. When my Fiancée and I went looking at sub compacts the choice was easy.

Jump a head a year and the launch of the redesigned Rio 5. WOW! I have described it as a Fiesta and GTI had a love child. At first I was hesitant with the idea of a Korean car. Then the reviews came pouring in. The top in class features and amenities brought it up to the top of my list. I mean where do I start, LED DRLs, LED brake lights, Discs all around, UVO, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, and 6 speed transmission. BTW, in auto my DLRs are the LEDs until it gets too dark.

I still love the Fiesta and think it is a wonderful car. I enjoy the styling of both. They both feel and handle very well. You really do notice the extra 19 HP though on hills. However for the same price, top trim levels (SES vs SX), one clearly pulls ahead on value.

I should mention that my primary use is as a commuter car to and from work. This is why I was focused on sub compacts. I wanted something that would look sporty and be awesome on gas mileage. I also knew I would spend a lot of time sitting in traffic; I have to drive across the city. So the comfort and luxury of the ride inside was very important to me.

Another car that nearly won out for me was the Nissan Juke. It is a polarizing car for sure. People either love it or hate it. I love the rally inspired design. The turbo (bit of lag though) with a 188 HP was also very nice. The biggest feature I loved was the option for AWD. I live in Calgary which doesn’t really do snow removal and this can lead to some poor road conditions. However the top trim in AWD was pushing my budget a little too far. I could have gone with the SL FWD. But then it comes back to the features and again the Rio wins out.

·
Registered
Rio5 SX, White/Beige leather, UVO
17 Posts
Mine is a sedan, maybe they produce only the sedan with paddles???
Or, the paddles are only on the NAV version? I always thought it quite odd that for the $1000 more in which we have to pay for Nav, all we get is a bigger screen and integrated GPS.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i'm a ford man through and through, and was also looking at the Fiesta, but the top model (called Zetec here) didn't compare at all to the SLS Rio:

Fiesta: Engine MPI 1.6 88KW - Rio: 1.6 D-inj 103KW
Fiesta: 16" wheels (look crap too) - Rio: 17" nice looking wheels
Fiesta: no climate control
Fiesta: no auto wipers
Fiesta: smaller brakes
Fiesta: 5 speed manual (or 6A) Rio: 6 speed manual (or 6A)
Fiesta: 3 year warranty, limited KM Rio: 5 year warranty unlimited KM
Fiesta: cloth seats Rio: leather seats
Fiesta: aircon is crap in the summer
Fiesta: key start, remote entry Rio: pushbutton start, keyless entry

it goes on and on, i forget the other comparisons but there are many

you just can't beat the Rio for value and features. Goes harder, is more fun, has more features, and most importantly the interior of the Rio is classy, whereas in my opinion the interior of the Fiesta looks like an old Nokia that's been run over by a semi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts