Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Jl audio stealth box installed. Front and rear speakser to be replced with jl as well. Using jl audio xd700/5 amp. Pics to follow, installed on kia sorento 2012 sx

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
cool. would like to hear more. you have the SX, so you have the Inifinity with navi i assume. i am in the same boat and am looking at options. i was initially just thinking of replacing the JBL amp and sending more juice to the OEM sub/speakers to see where that got me.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
36 Posts
cool. would like to hear more. you have the SX, so you have the Inifinity with navi i assume. i am in the same boat and am looking at options. i was initially just thinking of replacing the JBL amp and sending more juice to the OEM sub/speakers to see where that got me.
I just attacked this problem on my SX. The factory JBL amp (manufactured by JBL for Infiniti as part of the same ownership group) control the crossover functions and low pass frequency output, not only to the subwoofer, but to all of the other 9 speakers, too. You can neither eliminate it from the system, or upgrade it, without rewiring the entire system. In order to upgrade my system, I simply added on a Powerbass ASA-400 1x amplifier, mounted under the driver's side seat, powering two 12-inch Fosgate subs. The input was taken from the factory subwoofer, and the system sounds great now. The only thing I would consider upgrading at this point is the component speakers.

Hope this helps you,

Evilboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ones who did my install did not bypass the stock amp but got signals to send to the after market amp. That took almost the whole day of figuring it out. I dont use the center channel anymore or the speakers all the way in the back. But they are still wired if i needed it. Currently still using the factory speakers for the front and rear doors. They are amplified already but gains on the jl amp is set low. I should have the install completed by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
I just attacked this problem on my SX. The factory JBL amp (manufactured by JBL for Infiniti as part of the same ownership group) control the crossover functions and low pass frequency output, not only to the subwoofer, but to all of the other 9 speakers, too. You can neither eliminate it from the system, or upgrade it, without rewiring the entire system. In order to upgrade my system, I simply added on a Powerbass ASA-400 1x amplifier, mounted under the driver's side seat, powering two 12-inch Fosgate subs. The input was taken from the factory subwoofer, and the system sounds great now. The only thing I would consider upgrading at this point is the component speakers.

Hope this helps you,

Evilboy
thanks for the info, it is helpful. in my experience from all the installs i have done, almost nothing is drop-in easy. and you prob saved me an hour or more of research. i am running into an issue with my 2012 Miata too. it has a Bose amp that powers the 2 fronts, a center channel and 2 small rear speakers. the center and rears provide ambience and do not get full power. to boot, the front speakers run at 1 ohm, so really nothing can be placed in there since the bose amp is expecting a 1 ohm load. i put in a navi HU so at least i had lots of additional control over EQ and volume. i would like to do the same for the Kia, but i haven't really seen an elegant solution for that. at least from a couple pics i have seen on this site, the console trim kits don't fit neatly. i would also be bothered by an aftermarket rear camera and losing my OEM hands-free mic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally completed the system install. Jl audio 10tw3 stealth box, jl c2650 components (front), jl c2 250 coax (rear) powred by xd700/5 amp. Still using factory radio with nav. Shop is telling me that the sound would be 10x better with an aftermarket headunit. Any suggestions? Im thinking about adding the jl clean sweep.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I would say does it sound good to you now before replacing the HU, if not replace it, if it sounds good enough then you can use that money to upgrade something else.
Some pics of your sub setup would be nice. :D

·
Registered
2011 sorento
6 Posts
Finally completed the system install. Jl audio 10tw3 stealth box, jl c2650 components (front), jl c2 250 coax (rear) powred by xd700/5 amp. Still using factory radio with nav. Shop is telling me that the sound would be 10x better with an aftermarket headunit. Any suggestions? Im thinking about adding the jl clean sweep.

Where is your stealth box located and howmdoesmit sound. I got the same stealth box recommended to me and was told to put it under the cargo cover since I don't have a third row seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for this very late response. JL Cleansweep works great, just make sure you get the input adaptor for the cleansweep, otherwise, it doesn't sense the input signal from the factory radio.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 w/premium package
25 Posts
I want to keep the factory amp to power the center, rear door, and rear most surround speakers. I have an aftermarket amp that I want to power the front door speakers (with Boston Acoustic Components) as well as add an aftermarket sub. Can I tap the front speaker outs and sub out after the factory amp?

The bass is lacking from the infinity factory sub, and I want to drive the door speakers harder because the center channel kills the separation and there is no way to use a fader to lower it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you added any updates since this post? Do you know if the signal was taken before or after the factory amp for the JL preamp input? Was a line converter used at all?
I have a 2013 with Infinity system and want to add the same JL amp to power the components in the doors and a custom sub.

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
See my thread "I'm back" for a pretty complete redo of the nav system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts