Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks:

Has anyone ever had the Jensen VM9510 Car DVD Player installed in their Sorento? I've been interested in this particular unit in which the motorized LCD screen moves outward and up when you activate it. But I foresee a problem with the Sorento dashboard's "lip" at the top preventing the screen from folding all the way out and forcing the screen to point at a downward angle.

The solution appears to be to install the unit on the bottom half of the 2 DIN opening and position it so that it juts out slightly. The top part of the DIN would be filled in with the "hole filler"...but I don't really like that part of the idea, because the "filler" would also jut out too...beyond the top edge of the opening. (I hope you're following me)

I really like this unit (though it's kind of ugly)...has a beautiful picture at an affordable price. I am aware of the cool screen that customsorento.com sells, but I consider it too expensive. Other 2 DIN units I have seen have a much poorer quality picture. This unit is all-in-one and has all the features I want.

Has anyone installed this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have been looking for a new all in one unit for my sorento.
let me know if you find the answer.
It does look like it would hit the lip but i have seen this type of unit in pictures installed in sorento's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
I am interested also. That is a good looking unit. I have been doing some looking online and it seems to have a lot of features and a good price. Let us know what you find out, I think I need one.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it looks like you guys will have your answer soon because I just accidentally bought one while fooling around on E-Bay...haha.

I've talked to two professional installers about this unit. The first guy, who seems much more trustworthy, told me the screen would point downward too much. The second guy told me it wouldn't be a problem. I appreciated his optimism, but he seemed a bit too desperate to make a sale. (Our voices echoed within his store).

Before stupidly punching the "buy" button on E-Bay, I was also looking at this unit in the link below. It's a 2 DIN unit in which the screen lays flat. Unlike the Jensen, this unit is touch screen but has basically all the same features of the Jensen - with out the lip-problem. It is substantially less expensive than the Celot unit featured at customsorento.com.

My only worry with this one, is that it might not have the resolution if the Jensen...

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/dvd/LM-7508.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks like a nice item but I am afraid that it is a cheap unit. $699 price tag is a bit higher than the Valor peice I was looking at, also a cheaper unit. It sells for about $580 but is not a touch screen. I dont know if i should just break down and buy the pioneer instead. I just dont have the extra $$.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've actually seen that unit priced lower...sent that pic for illustration purposes. You might be right in terms of the screen resolution, but still...it packs quite a bit of features that I'm interested in: region-free coding, reversing radar input, switchable PAL-NTSC. I sure would've liked to have seen it in person. Oh well. The local dealer over here highly recommnded a Kenwood, but I didn't get to see a demo of that one either - 2 DIN model...it was a beauty. But 1,200 smacks was way over my budget.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not a pro..but for gadgets like these, you get what yo pay for. I'm a comp geek. and i would NEVER buy generic brand parts, cause you get what you pay for. problems, dead parts, will fry.die.. etc. People who have the kenwoods are ALL happy.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well gosh - I guess I forgot to update you guys on what happened: I accidentally purchased this unit and then tried to sell it (half-heartedly) and no takers. After some soul-searching, I decided to go ahead and install it myself. I ended up putting the unit on the lower half of the 2-DIN opening and - no problems with the Sorento's lip interfering with the screen! I was very pleased, it fully extends out and up and the view is straight on - although I cannot adjust it (but I don't need to). The "pocket" is now on top of the unit itself and looks pretty good - the only problem is that I have a 3/16" gap from the pocket's top edge to the bottom portion of the lip - I'm not sure what material to use in order to fill it - thinking of foam but it looks alright as it is.

The screen is absolutley fantastic looking (but I still say the unit itself is kinda ugly). What I really like about it is that you can lower the screen and still listen to a movie. One down side though, is that at night, you're just begging to get stopped by a cop so I don't pop it open at night. Even at the lowest setting, its still pretty bright. I also put the antennae under the dash - not perfect TV reception but still decent. I didn't have the heart to put the antennae in a visible area and it was easier to wire. I left some inputs easilly accessible for a rear-view camera which will be my next project. My biggest problem was I thought I was going to have to do some fancy modifications in order to secure it in place. My original thought, after two days of heavy brainstorming, turned out to be the right solution (go figure). All the parts I needed to secure it in place were right there, just had to do some "reversing".

The sound quality is much better than the stock unit, so it was totally worth doing. It also had most of the features I was looking for which was a nice surprise. The only downer is that it isn't region-free, so my wife's Russian videos won't work.

Oh well - they suck anyway... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts