Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you safely put a 2012 Kia Sorento SX on 4 jack stands where each has a rated capacity of 4,000 pounds?

FYI, the gross weight is around 5,500 pounds.

I've been told as each stand is not holding up the entire weight of the vehicle that you do the calculation based on the total of each of the jack capacities. So, for 4 jacks rated at 4,000 pounds, they should be able to hold it up without any issues. If you wanted to raise up the front, then two 4,000 pound jacks should have any issues either. Is this type of calculation correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
252 Posts
Can you safely put a 2012 Kia Sorento SX on 4 jack stands where each has a rated capacity of 4,000 pounds?
If done properly, yes. For weight distribution at each corner of the vehicle, drive your Sorento over some scales and weight each wheel. The total of all four wheels is the total weight of car and you can see the difference in weight of the front and rear of car. You may want to contact the jack stand manufacture as to how to use your stands safely. Jack stands are never to carry a side load.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
911 Posts
The Kia Sorento doesn't weigh anything like 5500 pounds.

One would presume you'd take all the passengers and cargo out before jacking it up!

Looks like you could almost balance it on one of those jackstands! :p

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
252 Posts
@jolt2 Thanks. What do you mean by "side load"?

These are the jacks I'm considering:

I like these as you can place them on the pinch-welds where the manual says to put your jack and then they also can be used as stands.

What do you think?
By side load, I mean any force that is not pushing 90° straight down on a stand that is positioned at a right angle to horizontal.

As for that jack/stand unit, it would not be for me. You are side loading the jack ram. The weight is not pushing straight down on the ram and is cantilevered off to the side which puts side loading on the cylinder ram and jack housing bore. The unit does not go short enough to get unit under most cars and does not go tall enough for me to get under the cars once lifted. It also had some very bad reviews were the hydraulics leaked or blew out.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
911 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
252 Posts
How much is your life worth? Spend some money and get something good. Safety is not cheap but being killed as a car falls on you is priceless. If you can not afford good proper safety equipment then it may be worth taking your car to a person that does have the equipment and let them take the risk.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jolt2, I understand and agree with you. I'm looking to use these more for convenience than for cost...mainly for tire changes and maybe brake maintenance.

I just do minor DIY maintenance and if it was anything more serious, I'd probably have someone else do the work.

I have some scepter ProRamps rated at 12,000 lbs for when I do oil changes and maybe a few other items.

When I do tire changes, right now, I use a small set of floor jack with a couple of stands and I don't really want to use the floor jack on the pinch welds and it's kind of awkward to place it. Also, are kind of awkward for the pinch welds.

I had a look at the manual for the combination bottle jack / stands posted above. The manufacturer states to use them in pairs for front or back and that they shouldn't be used to lift entire car with 4 jack stands. I was planning on placing one on each side at the pinch welds and then lifting both at the same time by pumping each a couple of times. I've got a few extra hockey pucks that I'm going to be modifying and placing at the top of the jack stands to protect the pinch welds. They also fit below the pinch welds with a few inches clearance.

One thing I also like about these are that they have an integrated safety-lock. As you jack up the car, they automatically lock at each lock point as they go up. So I jack them up at the pinch weld and the stand is there at the same time. I figure they will much more convenient when I'm doing tire changes and save me at least half an hour each time. I was considering getting these but they are way too expensive, $159 USD, and almost always out of stock...they look like they might also not fit and bump up to the tires if used at the pinch welds:

On a side note, I went to a local dump / transfer station to dump a bunch of cardboard boxes and they automatically weigh your vehicle. My SX weighs about 2,200 kg which is about 4,700 lbs with me and a passenger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts