Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's the end of a long ordeal-almost... The car was promised to us on Wednesday, but the terrible weather just south of the Great Lakes (the car was shipped from Chicago to NJ) delayed it until Thursday. The driver said he would have it to us by 6:00 p.m., but I didn't take delivery of the car until 12:30 a.m. :eek: I'm happy to have the car but it made getting up at 4:30 a little difficult this morning :p Basically everything is as promised (we bought the car sight unseen after seeing it on Autotrader) except for two things. First, the dealer did not include a temporary tag which means the vehicle now has to sit in the driveway until the title change (re-titling the vehicle in NJ from IL) is completed which will take a few days. This is a problem because I sold my truck in order to finance this purchase-there is a big family party 60 miles away this weekend for my brother who is leaving for the Navy in a few weeks. My truck was the only vehicle we could all (me, my wife, my infant daughter with car seat, etc...) fit into safely and comfortably. I'm praying NJDMV will have a solution so that we can drive it this weekend.

The next issue is that the front and rear tires do not match. The stock (original) Hankooks are still on the front and the remaining tread is marginal at best. The rear tires are relatively new Geotrac Patagonia ATs-first of all I don't think this is acceptable in a CPO vehicle, which this is. All four tires should be new or at least far from the end of their service life on a CPO car. However, even more concerning is how this might affect the AWD system. Since the Borrego is full time AWD (no 2HI option) I'm worried that the difference in tire diameter from front to back is going to cause problems. I'm shocked that the service department would allow a CPO to go out this way. I'm sure that if a customer were to bring a Borrego in for service and wanted only two new tires they would quickly point out the potential for damage to the AWD system. The dealer does not open until 10:00 a.m. EST, but once they do they're going to hear about it :mad: We still saved a great deal of money on this vehicle and overall it is exactly what we want and need, but buying four new tires is not something that we had bargained for...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks nice. I like the color a lot. That is odd that it has new rear tires and the stock Hankook tires on the front. As far as tires are concerned, I just put new Cooper ATP tires on my 1500 GMC Sierra. They are an AT tire and so far I am very pleased. They are exclusively made for Discount Tire. They are basically the same as the Cooper AT3 which is top rated by Consumer Reports in the All Terrain category. If you are thinking of going with an AT type of tire, you should check them out. They also have a really cool looking tread pattern.

My Dad has an EX-V6 4x4 like yours and loves it. Mine is the 2WD V8 and I like it a lot too. Good luck on the plates. Hopefully you can get something figured out today. In my avatar, mine is the orange one and my father's is the red one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice. I like the color a lot. That is odd that it has new rear tires and the stock Hankook tires on the front. As far as tires are concerned, I just put new Cooper ATP tires on my 1500 GMC Sierra. They are an AT tire and so far I am very pleased. They are exclusively made for Discount Tire. They are basically the same as the Cooper AT3 which is top rated by Consumer Reports in the All Terrain category. If you are thinking of going with an AT type of tire, you should check them out. They also have a really cool looking tread pattern.

My Dad has an EX-V6 4x4 like yours and loves it. Mine is the 2WD V8 and I like it a lot too. Good luck on the plates. Hopefully you can get something figured out today. In my avatar, mine is the orange one and my father's is the red one.
Thanks for the heads up on the tires-if it comes to that they look like they'd be worth considering. I'm hoping that the dealer will step up and make it right however. The rear tires are new enough that two brand new front tires of the same type would be fine-the difference in size would be negligible. After that, careful attention to rotation would be all that was needed to avoid problems. We'll see...I spoke with the service manager of the local Kia dealer (where we would go for service) and he basically told me not to worry in the short term (I explained that we had something important to be at tomorrow that was an 80 mile round trip), but that I should get new tires on the vehicle well before the next oil change. As for the plates that was an easy fix-I am already tracking the FedEx package with it on its way to my house. I'm sure someone is getting the riot act over that one-FedEx Overnight with Saturday delivery before 10:00 a.m. is probably costing them around $75 which could have been avoided had someone simply looked to see if the vehicle had a temp tag before they put it on the truck :confused: In all, we love the vehicle, but were once again unimpressed by our dealership experience. ^_^

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most CPO vehicles need 4 matching tires to be certified, with similar tread depth.
Sounds like they might have gone back and read the rulebook again-I got a call about two hours ago from the general manager. They are going to reimburse me for the cost of two new front tires. My faith in dealerships is restored :p In any event, we took it out for a drive around the neighborhood despite the lack of plates and put some gas in it/got it washed (it was filthy from being on the car carrier)-WE LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats on the Borrego. However I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that the Borrego is rear drive until it detects slippage then engages the front wheels. This is different than AWD.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Congrats on the Borrego. However I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that the Borrego is rear drive until it detects slippage then engages the front wheels. This is different than AWD.
Thanks! You are correct about the rear being the primary driving wheels when in "AUTO" mode. To me that is still AWD-I define AWD as any type of 4WD system where the driver has no input and a computer makes all the decisions about what wheels to transfer power to when. What makes the Borrego unique is that it's essentially full time AWD and part time true (as in the front and rear are locked) 4WD HI and 4WD LO. In other news the new Patagonia ATs came yesterday so they should go on Saturday. We have driven the car some, but only because I spoke with the Service Manager at our local dealer and he put it to me like this: "running it with slightly worn tires on the front is like going over your oil change interval-500 miles probably won't hurt-but 2-3000 miles will."

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks! You are correct about the rear being the primary driving wheels when in "AUTO" mode. To me that is still AWD-I define AWD as any type of 4WD system where the driver has no input and a computer makes all the decisions about what wheels to transfer power to when. What makes the Borrego unique is that it's essentially full time AWD and part time true (as in the front and rear are locked) 4WD HI and 4WD LO.
Then yes, I would agree with you 100%. I hope you enjoy your new baby and it gives you many years of hassle free driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
edwelly
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing