1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my Name is Francisco I'm from Panama, good to join the kia community
I'm having an issue with my sportage.

the car start sputtering like it was running empty and finally shuts off
when i turn on the a/c (this happened randomly), i then wait on the side of the road a few minutes and then the car start working like nothing happened :confused:
..... i don't remember of any occasion were the car have failed with no a/c , the issue seems to happened whenever i turn on the a/c.

items replaced trying to fix the issue

new spark plugs (ngk)
tail light short circuit fixed
iac cleaned (this improved idle a lot but the issue still remains)
i had a cel light (maf related , maf replaced issue still remains)

known issues
the car is run usually below 1/4 tank
is not charging well between 12.6 and 13v

does this sound like
fuel pump issue
or
electric issue?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hi my Name is Francisco I'm from Panama, good to join the kia community
I'm having an issue with my sportage.

the car start sputtering like it was running empty and finally shuts off
when i turn on the a/c (this happened randomly), i then wait on the side of the road a few minutes and then the car start working like nothing happened :confused:
..... i don't remember of any occasion were the car have failed with no a/c , the issue seems to happened whenever i turn on the a/c.

items replaced trying to fix the issue

new spark plugs (ngk)
tail light short circuit fixed
iac cleaned (this improved idle a lot but the issue still remains)
i had a cel light (maf related , maf replaced issue still remains)

known issues
the car is run usually below 1/4 tank
is not charging well between 12.6 and 13v

does this sound like
fuel pump issue
or
electric issue?
Greetings from (finally!) sunny NH USA,

Welcome to the forum.

I would address the electrical issue first, as the Sporty has an electric fuel pump.

Disconnect the battery before pulling the alternator.

* Pull the alternator, and take it to an Auto Parts store or electric shop and have the alternator tested for voltage output.

* Take the battery, and have that load tested also.

A/C clutch:

Also loosen -> remove the A/C belt and check to make sure the A/C compressor clutch is turning freely with no noise or binding: if the A/C clutch is binding it will put an excessive load on the motor / electrical system.

Grounds:

Check and clean up the battery terminals, battery tray ground plate bolts, engine strap grounds.. See (search) the many other posts on this on the forum.

Belts:

If the belts are original & are frayed, worn, or glazed (from slipping), consider installing (new) replacement belts.

Fuel:
--
Running with 1/4 tank allows a lot of air space for condensation to form in the gas tank.

If the fuel filter is original or hasn't been changed recently, consider changing the fuel filter as a first maintenance step to improve fuel delivery to the motor.

( If this was my Sporty, I would: )

Start w/ getting the alternator & battery tested, address cleaning up ground points to ensure good power to the motor and body/frame (fuel pump), and physically inspect / check the A/C compressor for proper operation.

If suspect, change the fuel filter / complete the tune-up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings from (finally!) sunny NH USA,

Welcome to the forum.

I would address the electrical issue first, as the Sporty has an electric fuel pump.

Disconnect the battery before pulling the alternator.

* Pull the alternator, and take it to an Auto Parts store or electric shop and have the alternator tested for voltage output.

* Take the battery, and have that load tested also.

A/C clutch:

Also loosen -> remove the A/C belt and check to make sure the A/C compressor clutch is turning freely with no noise or binding: if the A/C clutch is binding it will put an excessive load on the motor / electrical system.

Grounds:

Check and clean up the battery terminals, battery tray ground plate bolts, engine strap grounds.. See (search) the many other posts on this on the forum.

Belts:

If the belts are original & are frayed, worn, or glazed (from slipping), consider installing (new) replacement belts.

Fuel:
--
Running with 1/4 tank allows a lot of air space for condensation to form in the gas tank.

If the fuel filter is original or hasn't been changed recently, consider changing the fuel filter as a first maintenance step to improve fuel delivery to the motor.

( If this was my Sporty, I would: )

Start w/ getting the alternator & battery tested, address cleaning up ground points to ensure good power to the motor and body/frame (fuel pump), and physically inspect / check the A/C compressor for proper operation.

If suspect, change the fuel filter / complete the tune-up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
GottaCruise

we clean the ground point, went to another place to test car's electrical system, is charging ok 13.2+v

the a/c compressor is working perfectly

new fuel filter

belts are new.

the car keeps stuttering after 25 minutes of non stop use.
when you turn it off for a few sec it gets better for a few seconds.
i can make it go away if i let the car cool down. (the car is not overheating)
but it looks like something else is.

an indy was telling me that the kia sportage 2002 gas have an issue with the harness around tps and iac , should i look into those.

in case is the fuel pump can you recommend one and is there a diy to replace it.
i saw that on the dealer they ask for 310 for the complete unit , are there any cheaper solutions?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
re: voltage, 13.2 volts charging is ok, but it should be higher.

How old is the battery? What components were on during the test (A/C, Blower, Headlamps)?

You should be getting 13.6v - 14.2v charging without load.

re: overheat ..

Recommend hooking up an OBDII scanner, and monitoring readings from the coolant temp sensor after warm up / reading any DTC codes stored in the ECM.

re: harness splice for IAC/TPS/MAF/Coolant temp sensor feeds, anything's possible, but would check what the ECM is seeing before going that route.

At a minimum, with engine cold, remove the radiator cap and check coolant level, it shoud be right at the top.

Also check the overflow tank, there should be coolant in there also, at the (min) level - the overflow hose should be attached to the cap and submerged in coolant at the bottom of the tank.

* If you need to add coolant, add 50/50 mix, and measure how much you had to add in, so you can keep track -> monitor for any potential coolant loss or leaks.

·
Registered
toyota Lite ace GXL 1995 gas, Kia Sportage 1996 R2 diesel Engine; Kia pride 1998 GTX B3 gas
14 Posts
when the engine stops after running, try touching the ignition coil. - BE CAREFUL. the ignition coil might be very HOT! IF it is too hot to touch, get some wet rugs and cover the ignition coil with the wet rug avoiding the electrical connections. try to start. if it runs, you have found the problem- faulty ignition coils.

have the ignition coil checked for high resistance (please google, as i forgot how to do it and where )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts