Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PLEASE SEE MY REVISION TO THIS POST - LEARNING TO LIKE ISG

I recently purchased a 2013 RIO5 ECO with ISG. My car was built in March 2012 so my dealer performed the TSB that would "cure" the rough re-start process. This update, however, did nothing to alleviate the quirky moods of my ISG. After I purchased my car I had the opportunity to drive 2 more KIA's with ISG, and they were both as rough as mine :mad:

I bought this car off the lot so I didn't have any choice in the matter; but In my opinion the $400 for ISG is a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, and a major cause of stress on my normal driving routes. You can't permanately disable ISG as it will always reset when you restart the car. The logic for this system is totally flawed and could in fact be dangerous when pulling out into traffic. Shutting down the engine at STOP signs is totally ridiculous. To all future KIA buyers I would avoid ISG like the plague!

I really love everything else about this car as the engine and transmission are outstanding. I applaud KIA for trying to push the envelope, but ISG is not yet ready for prime time. This system is not even close to being "seamless" as advertised by KIA dealers.

I get sick to my stomach thinking that I spent $19K for a car that will always be flawed, with no permanent overide available. I would be asolutely thrilled with this car if not for the ISG option!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX UVO
51 Posts
I was rambling before about why ISG is not available on all Rio models, but reading this...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX 5-Door M/T
14 Posts
What does ISG stand for again? I have a manual Rio so I don't have to deal with this, thankfully. Sorry to hear about your woes... :(

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
Idle Stop and Go. Kinda weird you get all these problems when all hybrids work like a charm for starting/stopping the engine!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Isg

ISG = Idle Stop and Go

It is designed to save gas while your car is stopped in traffic under a variety of conditions. The system essentially shuts off your engine while stopped, and will restart itself when you let your foot off the brake.

This system works fine in a hybrid car because the electric motor will start the car moving, then the gas engine takes over at speed without any notice (no shudder or vibration). In a conventional gas driven car the engine must restart itself as you take your foot off the brake and be running by the time you depress the accelerator pedal (without lurching or vibration). In the real world this is almost impossible! The three KIA ISG vehicles I have driven all experienced vibration/shudder when restarting.

Your driving habits change for the worse because you don't want to come to a full stop at a Stop sign as the engine will shut down and restart while stopped at the stop sign. Why shut the engine down for just a stop sign? It has to use more gas to restart the car than the gas used waiting at a Stop sign. A long traffic light I understand - but not a Stop sign!

Another quirk is when you pull up into your driveway and stop your car to put in in Park. If you don't move fast enough with the shifter the engine will shut down and then start up again when you finally do get it into Park! Pretty fuzzy logic if you ask me...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX 5-Door M/T
14 Posts
Is it possible to get the automatic without ISG? Just curious cuz that sounds like a deal breaker for anyone looking at the automatic until they can work out the obvious problems with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ISG Cont...

Yes - The automatic is available without ISG. It is a $400.00 option on the Base model auto and EX. SX owners are the fortunate ones because ISG is not available on that Model at all...

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Yes - The automatic is available without ISG. It is a $400.00 option on the Base model auto and EX. SX owners are the fortunate ones because ISG is not available on that Model at all...
its only available on the EX model not the LX for the US, in Canada its only available on the LX+ which is a $800 option but does include 15" alloys with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts