Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Rio EX Sedan MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driven at highway speeds, my '12 rio wanders all over the road [not an alignment issue] just like my mom's old '76 monte carlo [and other older cars]did. It's like driving a boat! Wheel doesn't center; always 1/2 click to the right or left, so you have to keep compensating for it. This makes long drives more tiring than they have to be. My wife owns a '12 accent and it doesn't have this problem at all; the steering is tight and precise.

For whatever reason, I suspect it's the electronic steering that messes it up?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
I've driven 1200 miles east, and 1200 miles west, and back (to Austin), all interstate...and have *never* had *any* steering issues. Straight as an arrow. Better let the shop look at it.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
steering on my 12' has been spot on for nearly 25,000 miles.

the shock valving is subpar, thus requiring additional inputs to keep a line mid corner over bumpy surfaces, but that has nothing to do with the steering.

sounds like your car has some issues. good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
406 Posts
my steering is perfect. in fact i find it holds a straight line without my help much better than other cars i have had... i'd get it checked out.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
7300 km & 7 months no steering issues here on SX sedan.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i'd suggest there's a problem with the EPAS (electric steering).. the weighting is all artificial being an electric assist system, and it may be getting the wrong speed readings at higher speeds, making the steering too light and too greatly assisted at highway speeds. In ours the steering firms up considerably over 70KM/h and at 100 or 110 (freeway speed) it is quite firm, and tracks straight and true at any speed to be honest.

Is the steering very light at highway speeds?

edit: just noticed you suggested the electric steering in your op

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I have the same in my Soul, which also has EPS, it through me off when I first bought it as it was so light at slow speeds compared to my conventional system in my previous KIA, but at highway speeds you can't tell the difference. As OzSLS stated the steering gets heavier the greater the speed, it even tells you this in your owners manual:

The motor driven power steering is
controlled by a power steering control
unit which senses the steering
wheel torque and vehicle speed to
command the motor.
The steering becomes heavier as
the vehicle’s speed increases and
becomes lighter as the vehicle’s
speed decreases for optimum steering
control.
Should you notice any change in the
effort required to steer during normal
vehicle operation, have the power
steering checked by an authorized
Kia dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Make sure the pressures are dead-on correct and try to find a newly paved road to avoid any 'crown' or 'troughing' that old roads have.

Otherwise, my '13 has been like on rails for 7k miles.

Definitely have them check and align. (Don't forget the rear may be out from the factory too. My Scion xA was out 2 degrees and the dealer had to shim one rear side. Rare, but it should be considered when they check alignment.)

Good luck and please report back!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
I have driven numerous Rio sedans and 5 doors, and the sedans seem to be more twitchy on the highway. It seemed like more correction was needed at higher speeds to sustain a straight line. I haven't heard any complaints from any owners, though, so I just assumed it was just me nitpicking.

Maybe there is actually something wrong. Probably the best thing you could do would be to make an appointment with your dealer, and depending on their findings, maybe ask to drive another new Rio sedan to compare.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Definitely have them check and align. (Don't forget the rear may be out from the factory too. My Scion xA was out 2 degrees and the dealer had to shim one rear side. Rare, but it should be considered when they check alignment.)
Your Scion had a semi-independent rear, the Rio is solid rear axle, so won't need a rear alignment. If, and it's pretty extreme, the rear wheels aren't lined up with the front wheels in the Rio, it'd be down to a structural fault which isn't good, but in that case it'd only 'crab' or steer to one particular side on the freeway. OP says it goes right or left.

OP: check your wheel nuts are on properly too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts