Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage, 2.0L automatic trans. 2WD, 2 door w/removable half roof
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals, i have a 2002 sporty with the 2.0L and auto trans. with over 130,XXX miles. this is my wifes car and she is happy for the most part with the power it has. i live in a pretty hilly area and i'm not quite so much of a fan as my wife is about the power this thing has. now i realize that this is a high mileage four cylinder so i'm not looking to do burn outs with it. but i would like to climb a decent hill without getting passed by semi's and school buses. any ideas on how to get a little more umph out of this motor? i have tried setting it to power mode but it doesn't drive any different than it does in econ mode. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Ngk is the preferred plug and .30 is the preferred gap.
Power mode changes the shifting points of the transmission, but only a very little. It seems to me a waste of good switch.
Theirs a hood liner that can come loose or sage an restricting air flow with hood closed. Keep intake flow as free as possible. Keep in mind you a 127 h/p engine pulling 2500 lb. Sled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i realize that it's a small motor in a big car. i was just hoping to get a little more pull power up the hills. it's kind of ebarasing getting passed by school busses and semi's. didn't know if a higher flow intake and exhaust or some other small tweaks would do it any good or if it wasn't worth the money or time.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Strange, I've never heard anyone ask about getting more power from their engine. ..:)

Seriously now, for a moment. I test-drove a new 2012 2.4 litre Sporty and it felt just about adequate for town and highway use. Same sort of performance as our 2.0 Cerato. Adequate, but not startling.

Yours is 10 years older with 2.0 engine with a fair few miles on the clock, so you can't expect anything much of it. Perhaps a tune-up might help.

Can you find some test results from past reviews that might give an indication of the expected acceleration? It's not a good idea to stress-test an older car by doing 0-60 MPH burn-outs, but a 50 to 70 MPH "passing test" is often published for new cars, and this can be done without stressing the car or the traffic. I have kept some figures for our Cerato (80-120 km/h) that will be useful for future reference.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
If there are no restrictions in the intake and exhaust, there is by design more than enough air to support this engine.... Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 to 70 mph passing? i'm lucky if this thing makes it up to 60- 65 mph. i really need to run sum fuel cleaners through it. once i get it all back together from changing the timing belt and tensioner pulley on tuesday, i think i'll need to start doing a really good tune up. where do you get the ngk brand plugs from? any particular parts house? or are they a kia only thing? thanks for any info.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
As soon as you have the timing belt on, perform a compression test. You may have a tired engine....

The NGK plugs will be available at any auto parts store... Philip

·
Registered
'96 Kia Sportage
6 Posts
I had low compression at 130K in my 96 sportage. Had a low mileage engine swapped in as it's cheaper than the rebuild would have been. Power has been much improved. They get these engines from Japan where the emissions laws require major engine work every 30-40K miles. These engines are often resold here in the US.

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
if you have done all that you can and it still feels slow - fit a piggy back chip - and lean the car out and that should give you some extra power.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
Push the gas pedal all the way down.

I did an informal 1/4 mile and it ran 17.1 @ 72. Slow, but there's definitely slower...

K&N air filter, turbo-style muffler, and a complete tune up. It WILL feel pretty good. My '99 would out run my wife's 2007 Rio, and mine had an automatic and oversize tires...

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Can you say "turbo"?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi razor13,

You may want to check the hood batting over the plastic air intake snout mounted on the radiator - if the hood batting is suspect it will impede airflow into the intake,

Easiest way to check is to (remove) the plastic intake snout / disconnect at the airbox port and take for a test drive: if improvement, cut away the hood batting in the area over the intake snout.. or you can modify the air intake, pics in my gallery show the mod. I use,

*personally, I like the Turbo idea. :)

and Nitrous... :)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
is there a way to get more "power"
Of course that question is all relative...

What is the proven health of the engine?
Is it just tired/worn out??
What are your expectations???

It is a truck, not a sports car!

.... Philip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts