Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
08 Rondo, 2010 Camaro, 96 3000GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my son drove our 08 Rondo through some fairly deep water. Immediately, he said the "low tire pressure" icon and the TPMS light came on (and have not gone off). The tire pressure is fine in all 4 wheels. Could water have caused this to happen - possibly blowing a fuse or something? The vehicle has had 3 days to thoroughly dry and is running fine - no other issues. It has 51,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance! Bob

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
If the fuse blew, you wouldn't have a light. Pull the fuse out, TPMS light gone. My Sedona has been without it for 50,000+ miles now. Those pressure sensors are ridiculously expensive to replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there IS a fuse for this light? Is it marked or diagrammed in the manual? Also, wouldn't tire pressure sensors be covered under the 60,000 mi. warranty? Bob

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
they are covered under 5 years/60k miles.
However, if you changed/replaced tires KIA might say that the sensors could have been damaged or improperly maintained or not maintained at all during the procedure of changing tires.

And I am sorry, but guys - do not be silly. Water CAN'T reach the sensor. You may drive through deep mud, 25 cm of snow, icy water and the sensor will still be intact. The only damage it may take is when you hit a curb. Physical damage.

As for the TPMS light - what light it is? Is it the "flat tire" icon, or letters "TPMS"?
The latter is a failure of the system.

And my story - I get the light (letters) TPMS to light up from time to time. No codes stored, pressure fine - this is just some malfunction of the system. Does not matter if it is cold or hot. It simply lights up and a few miles later shuts down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the flat tire icon and the TPMS lights are on. They have been on for about a week now. I have an app't. with KIA on Thursday to have it looked at. Bob

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
And I am sorry, but guys - do not be silly. Water CAN'T reach the sensor. You may drive through deep mud, 25 cm of snow, icy water and the sensor will still be intact. The only damage it may take is when you hit a curb. Physical damage.
No so silly.

All the literature on TPMS stresses the importance of keeping the sensors sealed etc. etc. The fact that the problem occured immediately after the water excursion, suggests that the sensors might have been the problem.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
There should be a fuse labeled "TPMS". There are 5 Kias in my immediate family, all of them with a TPMS fuse. In all of them, the TPMS fuse, when pulled, disables the system AND the dash lights. If you are under 60,000 miles, you should be fine under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up to my TPMS issue:
Looks like I caused the problem, myself. About three months ago I had a nail in the front left tire. I put a plug in it and threw in a can of tire slime for added safety. Even though the can is clearly labeled "tire sensor safe" - apparently, it isn't. It took three months to work it's way into and ruin the sensor. I guess it was just coincidence that it happened after driving through water. My fault - my cost. $210.00 just to replace the sensor and I was about due for two new tires. :( Bob

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Is it already replaced? I've seen some affordable sets on ebay, though you'll need to get the computer programmed to recognize the new ones so maybe it's the same price in the end if you factor labor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a done deal. I also could have had a mechanic friend replace it for a lot less, but the dealer already had the vehicle. I would have had to pay the dealer "something" for diagnostics and trying to get the original sensor to work even if I chose not to replace it. Same reason I didn't go with Greg's idea of just pulling out the fuse. Oh well - live and learn. Bob

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Hey it's worth it for the peace of mind. I've relied on my TPMS to let me know when I had a flat on the highway and pull over before it got bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2nd follow up to this thread. The tire slime company, as a good will gesture, paid for half of my repair! Even though they maintain that their product is tire sensor safe, they kind of agreed they should put more emphasis on the fact that is still has to be cleaned out of the tire for it to remain so. Not mad at them any longer. Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts